Mirrors, again...

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Having real trouble with the nearside mirror,and wondering if others do or don't have problems.

Let me explain, the offside mirror can easily be set up to see the rear corner of the van so you can see its full length when you are driving in a straight line.

The nearside mirror,i simple cannot set up in the same way.Now i know from a previous post that maybe i should have a convex mirror rather than a straight glass one on that side,but will that let me set it up so i can actually see the full length?

note the mirrors i use are those that screw onto the top edge of your standard mirrors,ie for vectras is there a better choice out there? can you purchase a mirror with a longer extention out?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The convex mirror will give you a larger field of view so, assuming the arms of both mirrors are of the same length, if you can see the full length on the driver's side, you will also be able to see the full length on the passenger side, too. The passenger side mirror is only a bit more difficult to set because you can't do it from the driver's seat and there is no remote electric adjustment.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I use Smat mirrors which clamp onto the wing - between the bonnet shutline and wheel arch - the nearside one is as far forward as possible so it can be seen easily through the swept area of the windscreen and used as an aiming point when it's narrow - the offside one is as far back as possible so it can be seen above the driver's door mirror - they extend up to about 18", ideal for narrow cars like Astras and Subaru Outbacks as the inside edge of the mirror is in line with the caravan extremity, allowing excellent views along the caravan sides.

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
I've driven lots of big vehicles , moslt buses & coaches, it seems to me that a convex mirror works better on the NS as you are looking at it from further away.

i get my NS set up so i can see the wheel in the bottom of the mirror so i can see it clearing kirbs etc. But if i'm going mostly on motorways i set it a tad higher so i can see the HGV's flashing me back in after i've hurtled past them!

i think the cause of your trouble is not having a convex for the NS to be honest.

anyway, its all academic because as an old mate of my dad's said of his mirror set up on a coach, A good soilder never looks back!

Gareth

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for the responses.was a bit worried,as going abroad with the van for the first time,and the NS mirror then becomes alot more important as it serves for me to see the outside lane.....

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Bit of a tip when on the motorway in europe, i find that if you signal to pull out, people coming up behind expect you to do it, they don't tend to falsh to let you out.

If they are comming fast they stick thier main beam on in an 'I'm coming through' kind of way!

I find drivers in europe far better than in the UK, they do expect you to overtake and get back in though not play the 1/2 mile an hour advantage game for miles.

Good luck

Gareth

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
cheers gareth.

Whilst i have driven in europe on numerous occassion,this will be the first time with the van,and the route i am taking is not known to me,so yes i am aprehensive about being able to stay out of the way and out of trouble .

TRENDING THREADS