Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi we have always used the clip on and secured with the rubber straps, not too bad on the mondeo that we had, they move a bit but they are ok.

We now have a4x4 toyota hi-lux surf with larger main mirrors any recommendations for a better mirror, there are so many around ,been looking at the ones with the screw on arm

Talking of mirrors why do we still see people with no extension mirrors on there car how the heck they can drive safelyand towing a caravan is beyond to me,!!!!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jean, I use the Milenco mirrors and find them very good. They attach with 2 clamps to the rim of the wing mirror, and have a rubber strap as well. Virtually vibration free, and dont cost too much,about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
MILENCO MIRRORS FOR ME TO,OTHERS JUST DONT COME NEAR,AS FOR PEOPLE DRIVING WITHOUT THEM,AS FAR AS I KNOW ITS AN OFFENCE IF YOU CANT SEE DOWN BOTH SIDES OF YOUR CARAVAN???

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
It is not an offence to have no mirrors at all !

In some cases, towing mirrors don't help one bit with seeing the back corner of your van and a bit of room to spare, in other cases they help magnificently.

Some cars come with mirrors that are perfectly acceptable to use as in the towing car sense.

You can simply spend

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is not an offence to have no mirrors at all !

In some cases, towing mirrors don't help one bit with seeing the back corner of your van and a bit of room to spare, in other cases they help magnificently.

Some cars come with mirrors that are perfectly acceptable to use as in the towing car sense.

You can simply spend

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With respect John Clarke the NTTA document you give the address for is not the law. It is a comentary, and would not be admissable as a defence if anyone relied upon it as being the definative regulation in a court of law. The document only suggests that mirrors wher fitted should be adjusted, it does not state that mirrors are categorically required. I believe that mirrors are a sensible device to have and should be adusted properly to give a clear view of both sides of the trailer when the outfit is aligned front to rear. If extentions are necessary to achieve this then so be it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree that Milenco mirrors are pretty stable when towing, but mine have started to deteriorate for the second time in 12 months. The quicksilver on the backs of the mirrors has caused large brown circles to appear at the edge of the mirror. The first time the vendor replaced them on the 12 months guarantee. But I will now have to buy a new set unless the mirrors can be replaced in them.

Regards Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Milenco's for me too! Excelent, no real problems found, as for towing without mirrors well if your vehicle is as wide as your van then hey no problem. If however your the average car/van combination then no extension mirrors is at best foolish and at worst downright dangerous and irresponsible. Illegal? I dont know so I won't comment on that.

I would ask those who don't use them how you can for example safely change lanes (particulaly to the nearside where your view is even more restricted than your offside) without a towing mirror? I suppose you indicate for 1 minute (causing confusion behind you - but what do you care, you cant see it) then you just go for it! (just when those same others think you aren't going to change lanes!! ARGHHHHH!!)

Come on, be responsible and get some mirrors, you can never have too much of a good view rearwards - they help enourmously with reversing too - but thats for another post!

Andy Palmer.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is actually Regulation 33 of The Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations that requires you to be able to see down both sides of the trailer and to the rear of the trailer. The important part is "and to the rear of the trailer"

Ordinary wing mirrors do not give this field of view, as almost without exception, caravans are wider than their tow cars.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is actually Regulation 33 of The Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations that requires you to be able to see down both sides of the trailer and to the rear of the trailer. The important part is "and to the rear of the trailer"

Ordinary wing mirrors do not give this field of view, as almost without exception, caravans are wider than their tow cars.
thank you

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts