Misfuelled

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Page 45 of the CC July Mag is selling a gadget that fits in your fuel filler to prevent filling with petrol instead of diesel.
Has anyone bought one ? Are they any good?

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Is it this one ?
solo diesel solution very clever device.....
Only the other day I had pulled into Asda & there was a mondeo being pushed off of the forcourt, his wife was out giving him what for
smiley-yell.gif
poor sod......
Yes it can / will save an expensive mistake.....

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a sticker on my diesel cap, it came with the car it says "diesel" on it,i thought it was pretty obvious what fuel i needed.
but on a lighter note at least mis fueling catches out motorist who arent concentrating properly and if they arent concentrating properly when refueling there properly also on auto pilot when driving, so the rest they get from the AA cleaning out their tanks is good for them.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Apparently over 400 misfuel every day.

The MX-5, petrol has a special narrow filler neck so you can't physically put a diesel nozzle into it.
The same is not true of the diesel Sorento which can easily accept the petrol nozzle.
A few years ago I misfuelled , not because I was asleep , but because I was using a self pay pump and concentrating on the instructions rather than the nozzle. I soon woke up 3 gallons later but too late.
Not doen it since.

I wonder how many have done it more than once
smiley-undecided.gif

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
As I don't like diesel cars at all, slow, dirty, smelly things with turbo's instead of superchargers etc etc..., I always call it petrol so as I don't have to admit to having one. We both have them and as far as I'm concerned they're both petrol!! Diesel is such a ghastly word, sounds quite american!! Despite this we haven't mis fuelled yet!!!!!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you are new to diesel driving I would buy the gadget. I am on my fourth diesel so I am now used to it but on the first one I did put petrol in once, it cost £100 to have the tank drained and lost a tank full of fuel but worse some must have got into the engine and the car cost about £2,000 to repair.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Raywood said:
If you are new to diesel driving I would buy the gadget. I am on my fourth diesel so I am now used to it but on the first one I did put petrol in once, it cost £100 to have the tank drained and lost a tank full of fuel but worse some must have got into the engine and the car cost about £2,000 to repair.
err petrol damages the seals in a diesel cars fuel pump it also attacks and damages the injectors, so it damages the injection
system and not the engine, if anyone still drove an old fashion diesel from the 80s or early to mid 90s this petrol in the tank bussiness wouldnt be the issue it is today. strange how modern petrol cars all have fillers that cannot accept a diesel nozzle as standard, and yet
very little harm would happen to a petrol engine from mis fueling.seems to me like they got the nozzle bit wrong and it should be petrol nozzles that dont fit a diesel car,and not the otherway round.....

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The fuel nozzles/spouts are made of soft non sparking metals for obvious reason so wear quickly, so square spouts would wear to become round.
You would then also have the issue of being able to put diesel into an unleaded car and as unleaded sales still outstrip diesel sales my guess is unleaded spouts wont change?
Having worked in the industry for around 12 years in my younger days and during the unleaded revolution you are very limited to change the fuel nozzle, one was to make the unleaded smaller, but this was to stop you filling with leaded fuel and damaging the cat.
Of course this doesnt help with the diesel fuel nozzle, some of the problem is the car manufacturers have different fill pipe routing so having a shaped spout means you can fill only at one angle and people like to change the angle to suit as the nozzle spout gets splashback and cuts off causing frustration.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
...... many French self- serve fuel pumps speak to you and tell you what type of fuel you are about to put in your car before it starts pumping.
This gives you time to correct the mistake you might be about to make!

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
...... many French self- serve fuel pumps speak to you and tell you what type of fuel you are about to put in your car before it starts pumping.

But I can't speak french!!!!

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Martin24 said:
As I don't like diesel cars at all, slow, dirty, smelly things with turbo's instead of superchargers etc etc..., I always call it petrol so as I don't have to admit to having one. We both have them and as far as I'm concerned they're both petrol!! Diesel is such a ghastly word, sounds quite american!! Despite this we haven't mis fuelled yet!!!!!
Martin, a friend recently refered to his car as a "diseasel". I thought it rather appropriate.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I did it once many years ago when we had a Diahatsu 4x4 and a petrol espace.
I did it in style though, filling the espace with 14 gallons of Diesel DOH !!
Fortunately, I realised when the pump clicked off and I looked at the amount, as you do before paying. I had to push the car off the forecourt and ring the wife to bring the Dia to tow me home. There I spent the next two and a half hours turning the ignition on wait 30 secs and off and on 30secs and off and on ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ and on !
The espace had an anti syphon tank and the easiest way was to take the fuel pipe off under the bonnet. The only good thing wasthat as the espace was almost empty when I did the dasterdly deed, I could mix the salvaged diesel with the good diesel in the Diahatsu.

Mind you. I did run 10 gallons of petrol that had about 5% diesel in it that was given to me from a mis fuelled motorhome by my brother-in-law. He reckoned it would be fine to run in an old Renault 21 Savanna I was driving at the time. The fuel did run the car ok but with one problem. If you gunned it in 3rd to overtake you could get to 60Mph and then a plume of thick grey smoke would pile out the back in true James Bond style. The diesel was trapped in the cat and would vapourise hence the smoke. I overtook a truck one day and he had to put his lights on to see where he was. Needless to say, I changed the cat soon as poss as this was a dangerous but quite funny situation.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Gafferbill said:

Martin24 said:

..........good point Martin.
But what I thought was that these pumps could be used over here if they removed the French speaking person from inside the pump and replaced them with an English speaker or Welsh or whatever.
Jobs for the unemployed and all that!

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
Gafferbill said:

Martin24 said:

..........good point Martin.
But what I thought was that these pumps could be used over here if they removed the French speaking person from inside the pump and replaced them with an English speaker or Welsh or whatever.
Jobs for the unemployed and all that!

Oh that's a good idea, or would be if there were any English speaking people left in the country!!! Not that I'm about to rant about the English language and the amount of poor grammer we have to contend with!! Was told in a cafe recently we ain't got no (whatever it was) left. Got a very blank look from the waitress and a snigger from the lady behind when I came out with my usual, "if you ain't got none, you must have some" Oh what fun this country is!!! Oppppppsieeee over use of the exclamation mark!!!!!!!

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Sir Outnumbered WC (4:1) wrote
I'm about to rant about the English language and the amount of poor grammer we have to contend with!!
Martin - was your spelling mistake intentional??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts