Mitsubishi asx - don't have a puncture!

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I've started to research possible replacement tow cars and was very interested in the Mitsubishi asx. I sent for a brochure and read that it is suppled with a spray-can puncture repair kit rather than a spare wheel. There is also a list of 'optional' extras, incuding a towbar and a space saver wheel. Passing over my annoyance that the car is supplied without a spare wheel, I rang my local dealer to ask if it would be OK to tow if the space saver wheel were fitted. The gentleman I spoke to didn't know, so I emailed Mitsubishi UK and posed the same question. The answer is that 'you should not tow with the space saver wheel fitted.'
This effectively excludes this car as an option for me. Am I being over-cautious here, or can others picture the same scenario of having a damaged tyre in the middle of nowhere and being unable to continue my journey safely and legally? Are there other cars with the same restrictions?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Interesting thread as most cars are coming with the gloop now and very few even have a space saver.
If you do have a space saver what do you do with the wheel once removed? i have 20 inch rims.
The gloop is no good if you have a tyre wall go,i believe that if you do have a puncture and use the gloop then the towing limit is reduced i know my friends Vauxhall Zafira limit is reduced to 1000kgs.
If you have to us a space saver do you swap the wheels around so the space saver is always at the front?

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Basically, you should not tow while you have a space saver fitted. If you have no alternative, fit it to the rear and reduce your speed and find the first available tyre depot. Even this, may not be strictly legal, depends on the view of the individual police officer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With regards to use or otherwise of a space saver wheel, you must follow only the vehicle manufactures instructions for the wheel.

If they do not restrict the use of the wheel to a particular axle, then within the limits of speed and load it can be fitted to any wheel.

Under such circumstances it is purely a matter of personal choice if you only decided to fit it to a particular axle.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The problem with space savers is the load rating, as well as the speed restriction.
I replaced my full size temporary spare tyre, with one load rated higher than the standard fit, so i can tow with it.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
A very good reason to buy at 4 x 4 as most have a spare wheel and not the gloop or a space saver. i had to spend £400 for a spare alloy tyre for my Volvo S80 when we started caravanning. Space saver is a waste fo time! There was a long thread on space savers some time back.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
The last time I had a puncture was about 5 years ago and it wasn't when I was towing - I drive a Volvo XC70 and use it offroad quite a bit. I wonder how much fuel I've saved by not lugging a heavy spare wheel about?

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
>> "The last time I had a puncture was about 5 years ago and it wasn't when I was towing"

I'm in a similar position, but there's no way I'd choose a towcar which didn't have a full size spare wheel. Towing with a spacesaver doesn't do it for me. Given the car weighs the best part of 2 tonnes, I can't see the 30Kg extra for a spare wheel making a noticeable difference to fuel economy

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I had a slow puncture last year, a screw in the middle of the tyre.
But when i worked it was two or three a year, due to scrap metal dropped from the delivery lorries.
So a spare is a priority for me, even though since i retired 8 years ago i have only had two punctures.

If you are concerned about the weight of a spare, offset the weight by carrying less fuel, possible for most journeys, or by a car with better economy.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That only thing i don"t like about my 2010 Citroen Grand Picasso it does not have a spare wheel and if you get a puncture you have use spray can puncture repair kit and pump it up .( But in my case R.AC have to mend the puncture because i am not allowed to touch it ) But i do worry when the caravan is on the back ..... I am sorry i don"t mean to pinch your thread

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Beachball said:
That only thing i don"t like about my 2010 Citroen Grand Picasso it does not have a spare wheel and if you get a puncture you have use spray can puncture repair kit and pump it up .( But in my case R.AC have to mend the puncture because i am not allowed to touch it ) But i do worry when the caravan is on the back ..... I am sorry i don"t mean to pinch your thread

So what do you do if you have a sidewall puncture or blow out? I doubt if it states in any handbook that you should not tow with a space saver. There were a number of other cars we preferred but chose the Mondeo as it has a spare wheel.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Unless the car manufacturer prohibits the use of a space saver tyre when the car is fully loaded to its max. GVW there is no logical reason why one should not tow when a space saver is fitted, albeit observing the usual restrictions such as max. speed, etc. Towing does not any any way increase the GVW or the maximum permissible axle loads.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This is for surfer my car does not come with a space saver and your car the mondeo is to low down and if i get a puncture of any kind RAC will have to repair it or bring me a new tyre ....

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Beachball said:
This is for surfer my car does not come with a space saver and your car the mondeo is to low down and if i get a puncture of any kind RAC will have to repair it or bring me a new tyre ....
This seems a lot of hassle as the RAC will come then realise it si not a roadside repair and then tow you and the caravan to the nearest tyre depot. Seems a lot of hassle all because the EU decide to come up with ridiculous figures all in the name of CO2 emmissions myth!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Surfer. In an ideal world the puncture could be mended at the time of the incident, However, I am disabled and i am limited to what I can do physically and within the guidelines of the car. With this in mind I would do exactly what the RAC advice. it may seem alot of extra work but it is more important to be sensible than attempt something which is adviced against, As anyone would with an ounce of common sense, Good luck to you if you ever have a puncture but I will do exactly as adviced in the guidelines I recieved when i got my car........

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Beachball said:
Surfer. In an ideal world the puncture could be mended at the time of the incident, However, I am disabled and i am limited to what I can do physically and within the guidelines of the car. With this in mind I would do exactly what the RAC advice. it may seem alot of extra work but it is more important to be sensible than attempt something which is adviced against, As anyone would with an ounce of common sense, Good luck to you if you ever have a puncture but I will do exactly as adviced in the guidelines I recieved when i got my car........
I think we may be talking at corss purposes. All I am saying is that the goo is a waste fo time and that a space saver is preferable and that i woudl never buy a car without a proper speare or at the very least a space saver. Even if I did have a puncture, it woudl eb up to Mayday to do the necessary to get me on my way as that is why I pay them in addition to the RAC!

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
I have just been checking out several breakdown recovery services & on reading the T&CS some have said they will not attend if the car/caravan does not have a fully servicable spare wheel & another states that if a servicable spare is not available a £75 premium is payable . I strongly suggest you check your breakdown cover policys

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts