Mitsubishi Shogun Gearbox Problem

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
Just a warning for all 2000 onwards Shogun owners. I recently replaced both rear tyres after a screw punctured the sidewall. My spare is 16" and all others are 18".

I towed my van from the Scottish Borders to Cheshire and on joining the M56 the 4WD warning lights went out and the centre diff lock light came on. As I only had a few miles to go I carried on driving. Once the van was unhitched everything went back to normal but the gearbox was difficult to disengage from 4WD.

To cut a long story short the dealership in Cheshire said there was nothing wrong.

The same problem occured on the return journey so booked car into local dealership. They had the car for 4 days and agreed there was a problem but found it difficult to diagnose. Eventually found the problem using a rolling road. The new rear tyres had a tread depth of 9mm whilst the front used tyres were 3mm. In 4WD this was causing gearbox windup and without attention would have caused gearbox failure " new tyres at £260" cured the problem.

Contacted Mitsubishi told me no design fault but that I should read the handbook 5-43. Replace all 4 tyres if any abnormal wear occurs.

So remember if you get a puncture replace all 4 tyres.

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve

I am not sure that I understand all that you say. But whilst it is advisable to change all tyres together on a 4x4 (most rotate the wheels/tyres to help facilitate this) I think the fact that your spare was 16" could have more to do with it.

When the diff-lock light came on that - I think - was an indication of something seriously amis - Transmission wind up thereafter an almost certainty.

However I confess not to be an expert on Shogun Transmissions but understand that 4wd is selectable? If so putting a dif size wheel on one axle then driving in 4wd mode would wind things up I think! Quite why the Diff Lock then activated as well I have no idea.

Would I be correct in thinking that you would have been OK if you left it in 2wd and with the smaller wheel on the non-driven axle?

Any Shogun Transmision experts out there?

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
Why would you need to tow a caravan, in 4wd on a tarmac road, do you like using more fuel than you need to?

Some years ago Jeeps had the same problem with tyre size and being in 4wd, i think they fixed the problem but i don't know how.

One little tip, when coming out of 4wd to 2wd, back-up for a yard or so, it helps.

When the 4wd lights come on, it means the gear oil is too hot, the gearbox thinks your waist deep in mud, and so it calls for more diff lock, perhaps you should read the hand book.

Regards

Jeff..

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your reply Clive

Ive never used the spare 16" wheel. Didnt know it was 16" until I got a puncture. I would only ever use it in an emergency. The garage where the tyres were replace was only 200yds away

You are correct that it is selectable 4WD and the fault would'nt have shown itself in 2WD. I only use 4WD whilst towing and on slippy roads " i live in the sticks".

The garage tell me the fault was cauased by the ECU detecting switches not made in the gearbox caused by windup. They replaced all 5 switches without curing the fault.

The garage have always rotated the tyres but obviously not the spare.

In the handbook it specifically mentions changing tyres from front to rear if abnormal wear occurs.

As I mentioned problem now cured and the car was still under warranty. I just wanted to warn others, dont know if the problem occurs on automatics.

Steve

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
Why would you need to tow a caravan, in 4wd on a tarmac road, do you like using more fuel than you need to?

Some years ago Jeeps had the same problem with tyre size and being in 4wd, i think they fixed the problem but i don't know how.

One little tip, when coming out of 4wd to 2wd, back-up for a yard or so, it helps.

When the 4wd lights come on, it means the gear oil is too hot, the gearbox thinks your waist deep in mud, and so it calls for more diff lock, perhaps you should read the hand book.

Regards

Jeff..
Jeff,

You have to tow in 4WD with a Shogun, it says so in the handbook and the gearbox is designed to change from 2WD to 4WD and vice versa up to 60mph.

4WD lights are on all the time when in 4WD and 2WD lights on in 2WD.

I have never had any need to operate in 4WD with diff locked. With 18 wheels and low profile tyres I doubt it would make any difference.

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve, thanks for letting me know of a possible problem. I have recently took delivery of my new shogun and it has the 18" wheels. My last model towed our van all over the country with no problems but havent towed with new one yet.You are correct about towing in 4wd, although many wont believe you untill you show them the handbook or the warning sticker on the door panel.

cheers Geordie.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
A friend drives a top of the range Alfa and had auto gear box problem. It went back and forth to the dealer, Alfa sent techy guy out who spotted that a rear tyre had been replaced with a different brand after tyre had been damaged. Both tyres were replaced and the problems went away!

Sounds similar sort of problem!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I have read the above with interest, as I have experience over many years of towing with 4wd, including Landcruiser and Shogun models.I have driven many thousands of miles without experiencing transmission wind up. BUT I ALWAYS select 2WD on tarmac (or any hard ground) and NEVER use 4WD except on slippery ground and I NEVER EVER lock the centre diff.

Please Steve, take my tip, you do not need 4wd at any time except on wet grass or mud. And you will improve your fuel consumption no end!

h

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hornpipe, I raised this point on shogun/pajero website and most had the same opinion as you,and most of them were owners of imported models and had never used 4wd for towing and were unaware that Mitsubishi clearly states in the handbook that for towing 4wd must be selected.( "selecting 2wd may increase the diff oil teperature, resulting in possible damage to the driving system.Leading to oil leakage,component seizure, or other faults"). Furthermore I have towed in 2wd and the difference in fuel consumption was 2mpg, hardly worth wrecking a motor for.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve (from the cabin)

I read this thread with interest and wonder why your Shogun has a 16" spare when its roadwheels are 18" unless the rolling diameter it the same, ie the 16" spare is fitted with a standard 80 or 82 per cent profile and the 18" roadwheels are fitted with low profiles of 60 of 70 per cent.

I have just been out (in the pouring snow) to check my own Shogun and am relieved to find that all wheels and tyres are identical (all alloys).

Incidently....How do you rate your car as a towing vehicle?

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
You dont mention what type of shogun you tow with. I am now on my second a 3.2 lwb warrior and always tow in 4wd, as far as I know it is impossible for it to suffer from wind up as it has a viscous joint that allows slip. It would only wind up if you move it up to the second 4wd position or its a shogun sport which should not have 4wd engaged on normal roads.

Simon

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
Simon,

I have a 3.2 DID LWB Shogun Equippe Manual, 2002. I can assure you in standard 4WD, I have never driven it in the next 4WD position, if the front tyres are worn then you can get gearbox windup. It does not have a viscous coupling for 4WD but has direct actuators that engage the front diff and driveshafts. That is what the Mitsubishi dealership in Dumfries told me. As I have already mentioned replacing the front tyres has cured the problem.

If you read the manual it gives this warning.

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts