Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know it is a hard job to police any forum but I think that there is too much back stabbing and bickering going on with the contributers to this forum at present. Would it be possible that as soon as there is evidence of it becoming personal that you can step in and call a halt to the topic under discussion. Obviously this will annoy some contributers but the forum is for caravan related topics and not politics, personalities, etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Colin,

I think that what you have suggested is approaching what the Moderators have been doing.

It is an enourmouse shame and it reflects very badly on the contributors who allow themselves to be drawn into making contentious postings. The process obviusly causes deep divisions, and when the Mods do cut postings and threads it destroys the flow.

I for one have accessed the forum on several occasions, only to find that postings have been removed and threads that are left don't seem to make a lot of sense. I have missed seeing any of the contentious contributions. In a way I wish they were still there so I could draw my own conclusion, but far better if everyone does respect the rights of others hold a different view unless it is illegal.

Oct 19, 2005
Visit site
To try and answer the points raised by Colin.

1. The forum is open to users of all ages, and available world wide.

2. The Forum rules are clearly stated in Forum Etiquette, and users are expected to abide by these rules, few as they are.

3. The Forum is broken down into different areas, and the Chit Chat part was introduced for exactly that, non caravan issues etc.

4. It is always good to have reasoned, sensible discussion on any subject, as we all learn something new, hopefully, or take on board useful and sensible ideas.

5.The hijacking of topics is, sometimes, a cause for concern, but a sense of reason must prevail or there would be completely irrational postings, to the casual observer.

6. Personal abuse of users will not be tolerated, and any such posts are deleted as soon as they become apparent, however, this may be some time after the original post, as we do not actually sit in front of the computer all day, scrutinising postings, as was the old way postings were dealt with.

To have a totally inflexible approach would be very detrimental to the whole forum, but we do try and keep things on track, without interfering too much.

With a group of different people, with widely varying views on all kinds of subjects, it is inevitable to find conflict arising, and when the situation demands, some users are reminded of the rules, and asked to moderate their posts with total deletion as a last resort.

At the end of the day, the written word is just that, plainly written, but with no character, no feeling, and no intonation, therefore making what one person posts as a light hearted message , appear completely differently to another reader, and maybe even appear as insulting, rude or threatening.

Finding the balance is difficult at times.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Well said Mods 1,2&3 some people even now including Colin seem hell bent on trying to stir the mire!Why can't we revert to the way it was with people with the same interests helping each other

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mod 2 I will agree in general terms with your response for which I would like to thank you. However I do think that politics and religion are two topics that should not be brought onto the forum in a manner as to try to influence people. They can be presented in a light hearted manner with, I should imagine, very little objection. However there have been recent postings which in my opinion tend to attempt to influence contributers regarding politics eg. green issues on carbon gas emmissions. I think that this type of posting should be edited as it can lead to personal slanging matches, back stabbing, etc.

The forum has been set up as a primary source of useful ideas, assistance, etc. for the good of caravanning but unfortunately it is becoming more personal as time goes on. The recent case regarding the Easter meet was a cllassic example where things got way out of hand and you (or your colleague) had to step in. This is a bad advert for the forum and can put contributers off coming to this forum in future.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well said Mods 1,2&3 some people even now including Colin seem hell bent on trying to stir the mire!Why can't we revert to the way it was with people with the same interests helping each other
I am not hell bent in trying to stir the mire - FAR FROM IT - that is the last thing on my mind. What I want of this forum is for it to become a sane nelpful forum for like minded people without any annomosity creeping in. Up until recently it was a joy and often humourous in the way contributions were made but this is now not the case.

May 14, 2006
Visit site
I feel that the site has lost some valuable members.

On sites we have to live with one anothers strange ideas and ways so why should it be different here.

Politicians attack us over green issues and being eco friendly, so how can we not have political debate?

Real World, Real Forum, Real People = Real Issue Debates

Oct 19, 2005
Visit site
There is nothing more to be said on this subject.

Moderators will do whatever necessary to try and keep the forum a place of helpful information.

A forum is not the ideal place to have what tend to be very personal, and sometimes very heated discussions/arguments about politics and religion , in particular.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts