Mondeo Clutch

May 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I use a Mondeo (2005)2.0 TDCI to tow my Ace Brightstar Caravan.

I have experienced two problems concerning the clutch.

Firstly, While positioning the caravan, the clutch quite quickly starts to give out a pungent smell.... a cross between hot rubber and rotting fish !!! I read in an article this was due to the lack of the harder wearing asbestos in a modern clutch, and does not mean that there is a fault in the clutch?

Secondly, When I try to accelerate from a low speed while going up even a moderate incline, the clutch begins to slip, ie,the revvs increase but the car isn't pulling or accelerating.Once again I read that turbo charged engines don't produce a lot of power at low speeds?

Can anyone confirm this, either by similar experiences, or by technical know how.

The mondeo is a matched car to this size of caravan, so that should not be causing the problem, and the clutch works fine when it's not towing!

Thanks Alan.

Jun 12, 2006
Visit site
We found the mondeo to be a great car for towing but doing slow manouvres, i.e reversing into a pitch, the clutch just wasn't strong enough to handle it.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
We do have a bit of clutch smell if we do manovering onto a pitch whch isnt very often as i use my mover, but do not get any cluch slip. This would indicate clutch wear.

Kevin

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If your clutch slips as you try to accelerate, then it is worn out and needs to be replased before it does more damage, (Scores flywheel) which will be very costly.

Steve W

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts