Mondeo maximum towing weight

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wonder if anyone has had experience of towing with a recent (2003+) Mondeo 130bhp deisel hatchback in excess of the 85% rule. I am finding it very limiting in my choice of our first caravan a 4 berth. The chances are that we will not load the van to its limit anyway. Would we be better off having an estate? Any advice would be welcome.

Many thanks

Dave

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello dave I cant comment onteh Mondeo, but the 85% figure is only a guideline not a rule, - however it does make good sence to keep teh tug heavier than the barge.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave, I often use my TDCi estate to tow up to the max. tow limit of 1800kgs, HOWEVER, this is towing a low-slung car trailer carrying a car, which is totally different to towing a caravan (a caravan has a higher centre of gravity and in the case of a single axle, a smaller footprint on the road than a twin axle trailer). With a high sided trailer or caravan, you are much better off ensuring that the tow car is heavier than the trailer to ensure that you have control in the event of any instability. The distrbution of loads inside the caravan is just as important to improve stability. I also use my Mondeo (kerbweight of 1560kgs) to tow a caravan at approximately a 92% match (Sterling Eccles Jewel, 1465kgs MTPLM) and everything is fine. Please remember that if you passed your test after January 1997 legally you can only tow up to the vehicles kerbweight. For clarification on facts & figures, look at the National Trailer Towing web site (www.ntta.org.uk).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have an 02 reg 1.8 petrol Mondeo hatch. I pull a 4 berth 2004 ACE Jubilee Globetrotter with no problem. The MIRO is 1153kg and the MTPLM is 1369kg. The MTPLM is just under the kerb weight of 1375kg so if I was to load upto the MTPLM I would be approaching a 1:1 match. I therefore keep loading to a minimum and put what I can in car. I've never had any problems. As your diesel is heavier than my petrol you should have even less of a problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have had 2 mondeos. First was a 52 1.8 petrol lx hatch towing at about 92% with no problems. However, it a bit thirsty and gutless at the bottom end as you would expect (Company car and no choice). I now have a 04 2.0 130tdci ghia estate with a new van - still at 92% but no comparison. Far far better. 6 speed box (6th more an overdrive) but plenty of power on the hills. Fuel consumption 26-28 towing 45-48 solo day to day average 41-4. I would recommend one however watch the residuals (Not a problem still a company car but now I have achoice!!!!)

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
I have had 2 mondeos. First was a 52 1.8 petrol lx hatch towing at about 92% with no problems. However, it a bit thirsty and gutless at the bottom end as you would expect (Company car and no choice). I now have a 04 2.0 130tdci ghia estate with a new van - still at 92% but no comparison. Far far better. 6 speed box (6th more an overdrive) but plenty of power on the hills. Fuel consumption 26-28 towing 45-48 solo day to day average 41-4. I would recommend one however watch the residuals (Not a problem still a company car but now I have achoice!!!!)
Hi Dave, I too tow with a new Mondeo Ghia Estate with the 130 TDCi and 6 speed box. My caravan is an Ace Jubille Statesman (fixed bed) and I cannot beleive how well the car tows. It totally ignores hills and as for the top gear well you can use it providing you don't drop much below 60 mph. I also have a Transit 17 seat minibus (125 PS) which I used to take the caravan in for service and I can confirm that the car can out pull the Tranny. Stability is superb too.

TRENDING THREADS