mondeo mk4 titanium x sport powershift, towing?

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I'm looking at getting a caravan for the first time. I've been offered a Compass Corona 556 (2005). My car is a Mondeo mk4 2.0 lt titanium x sport 163 bhp with powershift (semi auto, like DSG I believe), someone has told me that ford don't sanction the titanium x sport for towing.
I have a couple of pressing questions and hope I can draw on the experiences of an old hand or two.
1. Is my car okay for towing?
2. Assuming I'm allowed to tow, will I be okay with the compass corona.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Best regards
Garry

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Your V5C implies you should be able to tow with the Mondeo. The other acid test is to browse tow bar supplier websites to see if a tow bar is available for your particular Mondeo model. If one is available then the recommendation for a newbie is to tow a caravan not exceeding 85% of kerbweight (ie 1394 kg). The higher braked towing weight of 2000 Kg is more relevant to lower sided trailers eg car trailer, as a caravan is high sided and can be unstable due to side winds.

I don't know if the MTPLM for a Compass Corona 556 (2005) is less than 1394 kg, you will need to ask the person who is offering it (read the weight plate near the door).

May 8, 2014
Visit site
That's good news, the caravan plate gives MTPLM of 1400kg, is 6kg anything to worry about? It has another value (can't remember, exactly but something like MIRO) of 1173kg.
I have seen sites selling bars for the tit. X sport so that seems to bode well too!
It was the mention of ford not sanctioning the x sport for towing that worried me most. I will try contacting ford tomorrow.
Thank you so much for your assistance, all going well it looks like I'm joining the caravan fraternity pretty soon.
Best regards
Garry

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
MIRO = Mass In Running Order, generally the weight when the van leaves the factory (but definitions change over time)

MTPLM = Maximum Technical Permitted Laden Mass, the maximum gross weight allowed for the chassis.

The difference between the two figures is the payload - battery, gas cylinders, hook-up cable, food, drink, clothes, bedding, etc.

6 kg isn't going to make that much difference as 85% is only a recommendation, as previously stated.

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Brilliant, it makes complete sense when you put it like that.
It would seem from other sites I've checked that the issue with ford x sport may related to the "econetic" variant (something to do with the electrics) but I'll confirm with ford directly.
Oh boy I'm looking forward to this.
Thank you once again, I'm so glad I came to the right place!!

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
MIRO = Mass In Running Order, generally the weight when the van leaves the factory (but definitions change over time)

MTPLM = Maximum Technical Permitted Laden Mass, the maximum gross weight allowed for the chassis.

The difference between the two figures is the payload - battery, gas cylinders, hook-up cable, food, drink, clothes, bedding, etc.

6 kg isn't going to make that much difference as 85% is only a recommendation, as previously stated.

As the mains lead is supplied, I believe its part of the MIRO.

Also be aware that the V5c information for mass in service isn't always correct, while my V5 was accurate for our T31 xtrail, it certainly isn't for our CX-5, not even close, other owners have confirmed the same. A weigh bridge will remove any doubts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts