Mondeo tdci - turbo problem

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
The above is all very interesting - and topical !

I bought an 03 Mondeo TDCI on Friday and had it towed back to the garage this morning ! The glow plug warning light came on and the engine started juddering. The RAC man suggested possible fuel contamination but his portable diagnostic equipment couldn't pick up any data from the Engine management system. I'll see what the garage say on Monday but I've picked up a lot of good background already from this forum.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No more news Plotts. Phil is going to ring them again tomorrow. Thanks for asking.

Dave, thanks for your kind offer, apologies for not replying sooner. If you lived nearer, I would have taken up your offer.

All this fabulous service from a Ford main dealer.

And Plotter, I overheard you and Phil talking about me on the phone, you'll never get that pork pie and stilton if you carry on like this. LOL!

Lisa

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
Update on my post above regarding 03 Mondeo TDCI glow plug warning light - garage have today confirmed injector numer 2 needs to replaced ( which they will do at their cost on Wedneday ) - questions I have are a) seems to me from other posts that all injectors normally get replaced ??? b) do I need to make sure the engine management system is also re-programmed ??? - any advice welcome, thanks

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Polar Bear,Not sure whether it needs re doing after changing the injectors(I would have thought not)however,My previous car was an 03 TDCI 130bhp and was one of the very first and went like a steam train,it was deliovered to my home on the Saturday morning and on the Monday it was pulling my van to the Pyranees (well you have to run a new car in!)it was superb but on the first service Ford decreed that they all be re programmed after which it was still very good but a very noticible reduction in power so beware.

Lisa you speak with forked tongue I never said anything to Phil that was untoward I assume this is just to get out of supplying the pie and Colston Bassett Stilton which I see in last weeks paper our MPs have at the big house (no rubbish for them)I only have one piece left so your contribution is now needed.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ok Plotts

Make sure you're in this afternoon, there's a special delivery coming your way, should be there around 4.30.

Lisa

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Contary to what i have read here about turbos going in a puff of black smoke ect ect, assuming that ford uses a vnt type turbo like most others,you can get turbo problems that are down to sticking turbo vans or simple the actuator or its control not working proper.

These all leave the car in limp [home] mode,and commonly happens in higher gears where the car is underload, and the turbo boost goes too high because of one of the reasons i mentioned before.

Its becoming more and more common, due to the fact there are many more turbo diesels out there.

One of the reasons is, because these cars have so much torque,they are not revved, this leads to a carbon build up in and around the turbo vanes.This makes them hard to work and in time they do not function proper,the car overboosts and the ecu puts the car into limp home mode.

Now LMH mentioned turbo problem, i do not know if this is because of the loss of power,or because she was told it was.

If thats what was said, then only the actuator or its control box could be at fault,not the turbo itself.[you do not replace parts in a turbo, well ford cannot it would have to go to a speicalist so the turbo can be rebalanced]

On the otherhand it could be nothing to do with the turbo or even its control system. Which means we are all barking up the wrong tree.

Given todays cars are so technical, one cannot just shrug their shoulders and blame the garage, because it can be dificult to diagnois problems that come and go. That the price of progress.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was going to drive over tomorrow with the hamper but the car's going in again, so sorry. I'll just have to eat them myself.

Sorry.

Lisa

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts