Mondeo Towbar Wiring

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,

Got my nice shiny nearly new Mondeo at the weekend woo hoo. Just need to sort out a towbar now.

Having rung around I have had some conflicting advice about the wiring. My local Ford dealer does not fit towbars, but entrusts this job to a local fitter who has quoted £211 for a Witter with twin electrics, but he commented that they scotch lock the wiring into the car!?!?!?! When I queried this he said there is a loom but it is another £150 and that they have had no problems using scotch locks, which the dealer has confirmed saying "we have used them hundreds of times with no problems".

How have your towbars been wired in, scotch locks, soldered, or proper loom?

Cheers all

Gazza

G

Just check that Scotchlocks will actually work as many new cars have 'fly by wire' type wiring systems where it is only a pulse that is used to activate the light. I have used both firstly on older cars and the loom on newer ones. Just make sure it is done by a good professional, as home made can sometimes be a bit of a mess.

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
I've got a Jag X-type which has a lot in common with the Mondeo under the skin. My tow bar fitter told me I needed a 7 way bypass module fitted & the total cost was c

Sep 16, 2006
Visit site
What does your warranty say? I had an after market one fitted to a Honda and had problems with it which in the end cost me, so since then I have always had manufacturer approved systems and wiring looms, especially these days with the amount of software in cars, if anything goes wrong it's a one stop shop.

Oct 13, 2007
Visit site
I would use a plug in kit, there easy to fit and this way your not doing damage to your cars wiring

Have a look at www.toys4cars.co.uk they sell 7 & 13 pin kits, but you will need software coding to activate the dash warning light

These kits come direct from www.rightconnections.co.uk but they dont deal with the public, I've fitted 4 different kits and they are very good

Sep 30, 2006
Visit site
Its the old shape, Jan 07 not the NEW model.

Gazza
I've just bought the same car, a March 07 TDci and asked for a twin electrics towbar which has been "scotchlocked" in and seems to be OK. Mine has a 'spacesaver' spare wheel (50 miles max and 50mph max) I don't fancy using that whilst towing though! What do you think? Does yours have one?

Ron

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Charlie25, can you get fitters to use the plug in kits, as I dont think I could fit the towbar and electrics on me ne 56 mondeo est??

Kevin H

Oct 13, 2007
Visit site
I can't see why they wouldn't use one of these kits, maybe contact right connections or toys4cars and see if they hold a database of fitters, hopefully there may be one in your area.

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
I've just bought the same car, a March 07 TDci and asked for a twin electrics towbar which has been "scotchlocked" in and seems to be OK. Mine has a 'spacesaver' spare wheel (50 miles max and 50mph max) I don't fancy using that whilst towing though! What do you think? Does yours have one?

Ron
Yes mate mine has a space saver, I had a looksy throught the owners manual and they reckon it should fine, towing or solo for limited period only, Ie, get you to the nearest tyre dealer. As you say though, I'm not so sure I would like to put it to the test.

Cheers

Gazza

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts