Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
big thanks to this web site, got myself a 2 litre tdci 130 bhp,as good as you all say it is,scotland to cornwall and back,couldnt believe fuel consumption and performance towing bailey pageant,thanks once again,happy caravaning

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi, my son has the 6 speed 130 TDCI and on the basis of seeing his car and its overall good performance we have just bought a 5 speed 115bhp Mondeo to replace a car writen off a month ago. have had two previous Mondeos and found them to be excellent in all respects. This current one gave 58 mpg on a trip from Swansea to Wiltshire. The previous owner regularly got 48mpg and he was an enthusiastic driver too. It will bring our overall fuel usage costs down so I won't have to feel to embarassed about towing with a 4*4, but don't let the antis know.

Other Clive

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive

We are also lookin to buy a new Mondeo but what concerns us is that the 2.2 TDCI is reported to tow up to 1800kg, this exceeds its curb weight though, surely this cannot be right as it is advised not to exceed 85% of the curb weight.

The thing is we are looking to buy a fixed bed that has an MTPLM of just over 1500kg and the type of journeys we do are to Italy over the mountains and we are concerned that it will struggle going up these types of roads.

We have test driven the car and we are very impressed at the performance, but it concerns us that the 1500kg of the van is more that 85% of the curb weight of the car.

We would appreciate your's and others thoughts on this before we go ahead and buy both the car and caravan.

Phil

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The maximum towloads specified by the car manufacturers normally do not differentiate between a caravan and any other type of trailer. Because caravans are big and boxy, it's not advisable to make full use of the limit, especially when it exceeds the kerbweight, but for low loader trailers it would be absolutely no problem.

The 85% figure is only a recommendation, primarily for those new to caravanning, but, where the towlimit allows, an experienced caravanner can go up to 100%, depending on his/her level of experience and confidence, without undue risk.

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I agree with Lutz. We tow the van (1400kg) with a Sorento as the Mondeo kerbweight is only around 1500kg. I tend to stick to the 85% as a maximum, as when I have had cars and vans at 100% it is a less realxed journey. The Sorento van ratio is about 63% and even then I don't load up the van to its max. As there are only two of us and the dog I am in the lucky position of being able to use the cars rear seat area. On eof the nice things about the Mondeo is that its rear seat bases can be lifted to use that as a load arear without afecting the hatch volume.

May 28, 2006
Visit site
Does anyone else tow a van around the 1400-1500kg mark with a Mondeo.I currently tow a Sterling Europa 540 (1452kg) with a 4x4 which is great but the fuel consumption the rest of the year when not towing is becoming too expensive.I cant afford to run 2 cars and so am interested in the Mondeo 115 bhp diesel hatchback or estate.Any comments appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone else tow a van around the 1400-1500kg mark with a Mondeo.I currently tow a Sterling Europa 540 (1452kg) with a 4x4 which is great but the fuel consumption the rest of the year when not towing is becoming too expensive.I cant afford to run 2 cars and so am interested in the Mondeo 115 bhp diesel hatchback or estate.Any comments appreciated.
I tow a Vanmaster Accolade 1550k, with the 130bhp estate,more than enough power. 46mpg solo 38mpg towing,no motorway miles.Needs carefull loading though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts