more bad news for discover leisure

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
i have been reading that 3 more branches of discover closed on friday. wrexham, carlisle and cannock. bad news for all staff and customers but it is on very good grounds that i can say there may be 2 more to go in the next few months as well

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
We were in Discover Cannock last Monday evening and I did ask about the branch closures and was told that they were just shutting the 2 small sites.

Furthermore they were advertising for staff.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
See other posts on this.

Warrington branch Culcheth closed the end of March, l believe Staff relocated, means an extra 12 mile for my service which has to be done by Discover leisure as it it's new van purchased from Culcheth.

NigelH

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
See other posts on this.

Warrington branch Culcheth closed the end of March, l believe Staff relocated, means an extra 12 mile for my service which has to be done by Discover leisure as it it's new van purchased from Culcheth.

NigelH
This seems to unfortunately follow the banks route where they attempted to increase their business by any means, Discover seemed to take over many local companies at boom time, now they are closing them...

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
This seems to unfortunately follow the banks route where they attempted to increase their business by any means, Discover seemed to take over many local companies at boom time, now they are closing them...

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Bit of useful information - i found a NCC mobile workshop to carry out my service on my drive - excellent service saves me traveling to Delamere!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Discover Portsmouth has also disappeared off the branch locator and is now closed. I wonder if they will write to people who purchased from closed branches and still have units under warranty?

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Dear All,

We are struggling to get the full details of what is going on with regard to Discover branch closures at present. Sadly, we hear that Evesham, Herne Bay, Orpington and Portsmouth branches have closed but confirmation from people nearby would be appreciated.

We'll update you when we get confirmation

Regards

Nigel Donnelly

Editor

Practical Caravan

www.twitter.com/pcaravan

Dec 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

I've spoken to Discover and can sadly confirm that there have been several closures. Just to confirm the closed branches are:

Carlisle

Wrexham

Herne Bay

Orpington

Evesham

Portsmouth

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Mark Bigault

Features editor

Practical Caravan

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
I wonder how much dealers rely on the mark up on new 'vans and accessories? It seems to me that repairs take a very low position in the pecking order if posts on this forum are to be believed. Perhaps if the dealers put pressure on the makers regarding parts supply then more repair work could be undertaken giving a profit on both parts and labour.

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi All

Just reading this thread and have to say that while searching for a new caravan in February I phoned the Carlisle branch and specified interest in a Swift Conquerer 645 and could he give me a price? After taking all my details he said "I'll get back to you" after 2 days I phoned back "Oh I forgot" came the reply I asked if he could price match another local company "I'll get back to you" I asked if he would like to know how much I could get one for "Oh yes" so I confirmed the price. Nothing! No phone calls returned, so as far as I was concerned no deal the cash was there - not interested. Now if that's how staff treat customers, then I'm not surprised the business is going to the wall. The company I bought from were bending over backwards to do a deal, I asked how they could do it so cheaply, the reply was "We'd rather sell for less profit and have stock moving than being greedy and moving nothing" These are lean times but the caravan industry and dealers are doing very well if they're prepared to chase the business and even more be bothered to call you back.

Rant over, and it's not nice people are losing their jobs but business is business.

Mark

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Maybe it's something in the company culture - just a sales force with no interest in the product?

We had problems with Discover Delamere when collecting our new Bailey recently.

Discovered by chance that our 'new' van had been used as a display model, a **** up I'm sure but their attempt to conceal the fact was not!

The immediate problem was resolved by the rapid intervention (due to me) of head office customer services who quickly directed the local sales manager to offer a substantial (further) discount which I accepted.

The next shock came on taking delivery, you'd think that after being caught red handed at what could be construed as fraud they'd be bending over backwards to ensure everything from thereon went without a hitch - not a bit of it, they hadn't cleaned it other than a quick hose down to wash off the mud picked up between the forecourt and the preparation yard down the road. Greasy fingerprints on the outside and on arrival home and lifting the carpets I found dried mud and debris throughout the van remaining from it's period on display. They hadn't even bothered to vacuum it before removing the polythene carpet covers!

I did receive a thorough hand over though from a gentleman who was himself a caravan enthusiast, although it was strange that he claimed the missing Omnivent was due to the Bretagne not having one as standard....

In their defence they've tried throughout to 'make good' They collected the van a few days after taking delivery to have an Omnivent fitted, but then failed to return calls when that hadn't been done within the promised period.

After the inauspicious start we're now enjoying the van (our first) to the full though, a week at Keswick and a week near Bordeaux already this year with a return to Keswick and 10 days in Ireland already booked for the kids summer holidays.

I put the problems at Discover, certainly at Delamere down to local management, lack of controls appeared to lead to our van being placed for display on the forecourt and the 'kneejerk' reaction in attempting to conceal and deny knowledge of it further confirmed a lack of management control. Head office management were excellent and did everything they promised to do, the local sales manager gave assurances face to face and then did not return calls. The local senior management remained invisible - I never heard from them.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Maybe it's something in the company culture - just a sales force with no interest in the product?

We had problems with Discover Delamere when collecting our new Bailey recently.

Discovered by chance that our 'new' van had been used as a display model, a **** up I'm sure but their attempt to conceal the fact was not!

The immediate problem was resolved by the rapid intervention (due to me) of head office customer services who quickly directed the local sales manager to offer a substantial (further) discount which I accepted.

The next shock came on taking delivery, you'd think that after being caught red handed at what could be construed as fraud they'd be bending over backwards to ensure everything from thereon went without a hitch - not a bit of it, they hadn't cleaned it other than a quick hose down to wash off the mud picked up between the forecourt and the preparation yard down the road. Greasy fingerprints on the outside and on arrival home and lifting the carpets I found dried mud and debris throughout the van remaining from it's period on display. They hadn't even bothered to vacuum it before removing the polythene carpet covers!

I did receive a thorough hand over though from a gentleman who was himself a caravan enthusiast, although it was strange that he claimed the missing Omnivent was due to the Bretagne not having one as standard....

In their defence they've tried throughout to 'make good' They collected the van a few days after taking delivery to have an Omnivent fitted, but then failed to return calls when that hadn't been done within the promised period.

After the inauspicious start we're now enjoying the van (our first) to the full though, a week at Keswick and a week near Bordeaux already this year with a return to Keswick and 10 days in Ireland already booked for the kids summer holidays.

I put the problems at Discover, certainly at Delamere down to local management, lack of controls appeared to lead to our van being placed for display on the forecourt and the 'kneejerk' reaction in attempting to conceal and deny knowledge of it further confirmed a lack of management control. Head office management were excellent and did everything they promised to do, the local sales manager gave assurances face to face and then did not return calls. The local senior management remained invisible - I never heard from them.

May 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi all went past Wrexham branch yesterday all the vans had gone and shop empty. Mark
JUST TO LET ANYONE AROUND THE WREXHAM AREA KNOW THAT I'VE HEARD THE SERVICE MANAGER AND SENIOR FITTER AT DISCOVER WREXHAM ARE OPENING A DEDICATED SERVICE CENTRE ON THE WREXHAM INDUSTRIAL ESTATE-BROADWAY LEISURE, AROUND THE MIDDLE OF JUNE

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts