More Bad News

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Thousands of families are facing a surprise tax hike after Chancellor Alistair Darling confirmed that cars up to seven years old would be subject to new road duties. Find out how it will affect you.

It was thought vehicles up to seven years old would be exempt from the shake-up, designed to penalise high emissions.

But now it has emerged their owners will have to pay the new road duties after all.

A Treasury spokeswoman denied the move had been slipped through "on the quiet".

But she did admit it had not been "explicitly spelt out" in last month's Budget.

News of the levy is likely to provoke fury among motorists who have already been hit by soaring fuel costs.

There will be 13 bands in the new road tax system based on a vehicle's carbon emissions. New cars will also be subject to a so-called "showroom rate".

The changes, which will be staggered from next April, will raise an estimated £1.2bn in extra revenue by March 2011.

Critics say owners of vehicles that emit more than 225g of carbon dioxide per kilometre will eventually £430 in duty, compared to £210 this year.

These will include some Renault Espace and Vauxhall Zafira models.

Medium-sized cars that emit more than 180g/km - including some Ford Mondeo models - could see increases of up to £100, it is claimed.

Paul Watters, head of roads policy at the AA, said: "The Government is penalising hard-pressed families who have been running the same car for many years."

A Treasury spokeswoman said nearly half of new car buyers and a third of existing owners would be better off next year.

Click here to find out how the charges will affect you.

Channel Five New,s

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Not happy about these rises, but i am really surprised how a month after the budget, groups are coming forward saying they did not know it would effect cars from march 2001!

They had the editor from whatcar on the radio saying how they had been missled! Funnything is which diesel [sister mag] explained it all last month!

Nothing sinister at all before we had 6 or 7 groups now we have 10 or 11? They are based on co2,so how on earth could you,would you run two systems based on co2......

How on earth did anyone expect this system to be another seperate system to the one brought out in 2001 is beyound me.

Would they be as nieve, if tomorrow they said they were adding 3 groups to the council tax grading? would people assume that there was to be a seperate system based on the same valuations?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not happy about these rises, but i am really surprised how a month after the budget, groups are coming forward saying they did not know it would effect cars from march 2001!

They had the editor from whatcar on the radio saying how they had been missled! Funnything is which diesel [sister mag] explained it all last month!

Nothing sinister at all before we had 6 or 7 groups now we have 10 or 11? They are based on co2,so how on earth could you,would you run two systems based on co2......

How on earth did anyone expect this system to be another seperate system to the one brought out in 2001 is beyound me.

Would they be as nieve, if tomorrow they said they were adding 3 groups to the council tax grading? would people assume that there was to be a seperate system based on the same valuations?
What I cannot understand the logic behind this increase, my cleaner diesel engine which omits less harmfull emisions than pre 51 plate diesel cars is being penalised for the year of manufacture.All cars should be, irespective of age pay the tax according to their emision figures.

Its not a green peace tax but something to prop up Browns sinking flagship.

Royston

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
What I cannot understand the logic behind this increase, my cleaner diesel engine which omits less harmfull emisions than pre 51 plate diesel cars is being penalised for the year of manufacture.All cars should be, irespective of age pay the tax according to their emision figures.

Its not a green peace tax but something to prop up Browns sinking flagship.

Royston
I think what the government have realised in Arther Dalley,s language A NICE LITTLE EARNER MY SON. So all i can see for the future is under this green flag thing is 100 of pounds every budget being slapped on time and time again.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
I think what the government have realised in Arther Dally,s language this is A NICE LITTLE EANER MY SON.

Under the green flag save the planet etc the government will screw this one for all they can get out of it. Every budget from now on hundreds of pounds of duty will be placed on road tax.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts