more info on weights

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
We have a Zafira 1.9 CDTI SRi 150 X pack, Braked towing weight is 1500 kg. Now the plate on the van has MAW 1300 kg, CAP 210 kg and Hitch 100 KG. Will it be OK to tow with the Zafira?

Ed

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
ed325i said:
We have a Zafira 1.9 CDTI SRi 150 X pack, Braked towing weight is 1500 kg. Now the plate on the van has MAW 1300 kg, CAP 210 kg and Hitch 100 KG. Will it be OK to tow with the Zafira?

Ed

Hello Ed,
To be able to give a more comprehensive answer we need to know exactly what car you intend to use. The problem is most car manufacturers use the same model name for vehicles even though the specification may change from year to year, Sometimes even a trim level can change the vehicle's towing credentials
so ideally we need complete make model year, body type. fuel engine size power output to be able to check on the details.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I had a 2007 Vectra with the same engine and 6 speed manual gearbox, which was brilliant at towing a 1300 kg van. We downsized last year to a 1.7 130 PS engined vehicle and certainly notice the difference when towing, now need to go down to 5th gear on motorway inclines.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ed,

From the information I have available I agree with your figures. That would give you a towing ratio of (MTPLM x 100)/kerbweight) 1300z 100/1596 = 81.4% This is certainly a workable ratio and sits under the industry recommended 85%.

The engine seems to have healthy figures of max BHP of 147 and Torque 315NM which being a diesel will occur at lower rpm which bodes well for towing.

So on paper this looks like a good match.

But a word of warning, good towing is not just about weight and power ratios, Its also important to make sure that both car and trailer are properly maintained, Loaded correctly, and most important of all driven carefully.

The Caravan Club and other organisations offer towing courses which will show you some very useful skills which will not only help with towing but can also cross over into normal solo driving also.

I'm sure Woodlands' comment was well intentioned, and it does show the engine is a capable unit, but you can't really read a lot into it because manufacturers may use the same engine in several different types of car but the may well mate it with a different gear box which will change the perceived nature and performance of the vehicle.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Ed,

From the information I have available I agree with your figures. That would give you a towing ratio of (MTPLM x 100)/kerbweight) 1300z 100/1596 = 81.4% This is certainly a workable ratio and sits under the industry recommended 85%.

The engine seems to have healthy figures of max BHP of 147 and Torque 315NM which being a diesel will occur at lower rpm which bodes well for towing.

So on paper this looks like a good match.

But a word of warning, good towing is not just about weight and power ratios, Its also important to make sure that both car and trailer are properly maintained, Loaded correctly, and most important of all driven carefully.

The Caravan Club and other organisations offer towing courses which will show you some very useful skills which will not only help with towing but can also cross over into normal solo driving also.

I'm sure Woodlands' comment was well intentioned, and it does show the engine is a capable unit, but you can't really read a lot into it because manufacturers may use the same engine in several different types of car but the may well mate it with a different gear box which will change the perceived nature and performance of the vehicle.

Lets get this right - 85% is NOT - repeat NOT - an 'industry standard.' It is a number plucked out of the air some time back - heaven knows by whom - as an advisable balance of weights for an inexperienced tower. For someone who knows what they are doing even 100% is acceptable.

What is much more important is the maximum noseweight that the towing vehicle/towbar (they may not be the same) can accommodate. The 100Kg stated is the maximum permissable on the hitch of an Al-Ko chassis - nothing to do with the vehicle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Woodentop said:
Lets get this right - 85% is NOT - repeat NOT - an 'industry standard.' It is a number plucked out of the air some time back - heaven knows by whom - as an advisable balance of weights for an inexperienced tower. For someone who knows what they are doing even 100% is acceptable.

What is much more important is the maximum noseweight that the towing vehicle/towbar (they may not be the same) can accommodate. The 100Kg stated is the maximum permissable on the hitch of an Al-Ko chassis - nothing to do with the vehicle.

Hello Woodentop,
No one in this thread has stated that 85% is an "industry standard". I'm not sure where you have got that from. However it is the caravan industry's standard practice to recommend the 85%.

I have been quite verbose in many other threads on the subject of the origins of the 85% figure, and I have seen no corroborative evidence that it was scientifically or even statistically derived. Counterintuitively that does not mean I'm for raising the figure, in fact I believe there is evidence and reasoning to show its not low enough.

However until there is a better way of deriving a guidance figure it is at least a stab in the right direction and if nothing else it may highlight the importance of loading to some caravanners.

It is in my opinion wrong to single out just one criteria as being the primary consideration for vehicle stability, It's about getting a balance of the factors and good driving.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am with the Professor. I accept the 85% figure is advisory but it is a good start and going over 90% is probably best left to experienced towers. My position is more from someone who spent many years investigating accidents and certainly caravans too heavy for the car did feature. The problem to me is that in normal circumstances most cars will manage a caravan that is theoretically too heavy but in an emergency you find out the error of your ways.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
............and I for one find the term Experienced Tower equally vague.

Who are these people and how do you identify them but apparently they can tow over the 85% ratio and be just fine.
IMO the towing vehicle should always weigh at least 15% more than the balanced caravan/ trailer whoever is driving!

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
We came back early yesterday from a few days in Nottingham without the caravan! There were numerous caravans on the motorways and we studied each combination as we passed. We were surprised how low the rear ends of the tugs were compared to the fronts on many of the combinations, even on large 4x4s. The stability of some of the outfits also left a lot to be desired. One TA pulled by a large 4x4 went into a speed wobble when overtaken by a transit van. On the other hand there were apparently stable combinations on the roads, which were nice to see.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Woodentop

What caravan and tug do you use?

Pegasus 462 2010 and Passat Executive Style 140 TDi CR estate 2014. Runs as smooth and stable as you like, just wish I could get a bit better mpg! 235/40R18 tyres don't help on anthing other than tarmac though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts