MOT check

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Past Monday our 1996 Toyota Corolla 1300 with 126000 miles on the clock had its MOT done. No issues. This vehicle has cost us very little in wear and tear repairs on the past 12 years.

Following on this I tried to check the current MOT on most of our previous cars that wen have ha din the UK. Almost all of the Toyotas, except the Avensis, that we previously owned are still on the road and some with high mileages. Hardly any fails on those cars. However the other makes have all gone to car heaven including our previous Jeeps. However those previous cars Jeep, Ford and Volvo that are now deceased may have been written off due to accident damage?

Have you done MOT checks on cars that you have previously owned? Our next car will definitely be a Toyota! LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Yes, I've checked the MoT history of all my recent cars.

The '96 Cavalier's stops at 11 years old and 109,000 miles and the '00 Astra's stops at 16 years and 145,000 miles - both presumably scrapped.

The '11 Hyundai Santa Fe is still around at 12 years and 151000 miles - so maybe I was wrong to sell it at 53,000 when the 5-year warranty ran out - but it had already had a engine/transmission rebuilt under warranty.

I honestly don't know what I'd buy to replace my VW Touareg - the present production version isn't any better, IMO, and older ones wouldn't have the extra options I ordered on my present car.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I've checked the MoT history of all my recent cars.

The '96 Cavalier's stops at 11 years old and 109,000 miles and the '00 Astra's stops at 16 years and 145,000 miles - both presumably scrapped.

The '11 Hyundai Santa Fe is still around at 12 years and 151000 miles - so maybe I was wrong to sell it at 53,000 when the 5-year warranty ran out - but it had already had a engine/transmission rebuilt under warranty.

I honestly don't know what I'd buy to replace my VW Touareg - the present production version isn't any better, IMO, and older ones wouldn't have the extra options I ordered on my present car.
The VW Touareg is a nice vehicle. Also the Audi Q7. Toyota Landcruiser would be my choice, but prices for a 2018 same year as the Jeep are eye watering high. Even ones that are 2015 are priced at the cost of second hand Touareg or Q7.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The VW Touareg is a nice vehicle. Also the Audi Q7. Toyota Landcruiser would be my choice, but prices for a 2018 same year as the Jeep are eye watering high. Even ones that are 2015 are priced at the cost of second hand Touareg or Q7.
The Touareg has just the right blend of off-road capability, comfort and fast handling ability to suit my perceived needs - a LandCruiser may have better ultimate off-road ability but I'm never going to use it and would be decidely inferior on-road - the Q7 has more space and luxury but isn't as agile - the Porsche Cayenne is probably nearest to the Touareg in overall nature but eye-wateringly expensive for insurance, servicing and repairs.

I'm not looking to switch to EV yet but I do try to keep my eye on what's available - I've noticed that some supposed SUVs have no better ground clearance than conventional IC cars, around 150-160mm compared to my Touareg's 286mm.

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Past Monday our 1996 Toyota Corolla 1300 with 126000 miles on the clock had its MOT done. No issues. This vehicle has cost us very little in wear and tear repairs on the past 12 years.

Following on this I tried to check the current MOT on most of our previous cars that wen have ha din the UK. Almost all of the Toyotas, except the Avensis, that we previously owned are still on the road and some with high mileages. Hardly any fails on those cars. However the other makes have all gone to car heaven including our previous Jeeps. However those previous cars Jeep, Ford and Volvo that are now deceased may have been written off due to accident damage?

Have you done MOT checks on cars that you have previously owned? Our next car will definitely be a Toyota! LOL! :ROFLMAO:
Is that the car in front?

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our from new Kia Sorento 6.7.05 px’d at 98k gave up,the ghost 7.10.20 162k “ Under vehicle corroded” .
The last Sorento was the Titan version 6.3.08 still going strong at 92 k next MOT 10.1.25.
My SRI Cavalier 1993 , Calibra, 1996 are no more.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you see a Toyota by the side of the road with the hood up, don't stop in case it is a hijacking as they don't break down! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I was on a Ship Design course in Cambridge (MA ) and a lecturer from Detroit told how Ford purchased a number of brand new Toyotas in order to examine them to try and discern why they were so reliable. The Prof said that when Ford measured cylinder dimensions and surface finish the consistency was virtually 100%. But the surface finish was well beyond what Ford could achieve even with their latest production machinery. This was just one example of Toyotas approach to quality referred to as Kaizen, and seeks continuous improvement at all stages of the product lifecycle., involving everyone associated with the product including suppliers.

Reactions: Buckman
Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Not worth checking some of my cars....
Triumph Toledo circa 1972 - my first car which "some extras that I didn't realise were available", including a nearside rear passenger door which would open if you went round a right hand bend in anything remotely resembling a spirited fashion ( which wasn't easy in that car).
The most optimistic speedometer ever fitted to any car
It was very good at "turning round the opposite way on it's own" on roundabouts if there was even a sprinkling of rain.

Vauxhall Viva
Would never start in the rain, and had the worlds most useless headlights.

After that I had a 1981 Fiat Strada - good engine but mine came with the optional "roof mounted ariel which came off in your hand" and rusted before my very eyes.
Fiat Uno brand new in 1998 - bloody good little car really.
Fiat Tipo - also good, but bland.
Loads more but not worth listing those as they have all been reliable ( 3 Kia's, and 2 Suzuki's - one of which I still drive - Baleno 1.0 3 cylinder).

The list of motorbikes I've had is quite long too.

Steve

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Yeah, mostly now dead other than our 2005 x-trail. that had a good amount spent on it a couple of years ago and now has a galactic mileage. I did love that car.
Pretty much all of my old air-cooled VW's are still going. I must have done something right when I restored them. Oldest being a 1955 Beetle Karmann Convertible, that was a stunner

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I do, I had company cars from 1998 to 2019, averaging around 25,000 miles a year so quite a few ended up with "intergalactic mileages" before disappearing to the scrapyard in the sky, one (a 2002 Mondeo TDCi estate) started clocking up 100,000 miles a year after it went to auction in 2006, obviously doing service as a taxi, it was scrapped 3 years later.

An interesting one was a 2006 VW Passat that had to have a new N/S wing and suspension after being hit my a forklift when stationary, according to the MoT history the wing on that side was starting to rust significantly and the wishbone bushes worn badly on that side by 2016. It got scrapped two years ago.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Cannot remember all my cars these are some VW, Fiat, Hillman Imp, and Renault 4 passed every MOT but my wife 2008 Mitsubishi colt was great it passed every MOT since new we only traded it in because of the advisories needed to put right ,but when we took it in the dealer said it would have a new owner so she was very happy with that outcome. So i am very pleased your Toyota Corolla still giving you a great service .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts