Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
A bit of a hypothetical question at the moment but may be relevant to me in a couple of week's time. The MOT on my tug expires in mid-October but the tax is due on October 1st. If I have the MOT test done early (in September) and it fails (not that I expect it to) will the current MOT still be valid, allowing me to tax it online? I realise if it fails the vehicle is deemed un-roadwothy and should not be used even though I have the current MOT receipt/certificate. Having reread this post I suppose I'm asking if an MOT failure cancels a current valid certificate.
smiley-undecided.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
chrisbee 1 said:
A bit of a hypothetical question at the moment but may be relevant to me in a couple of week's time. The MOT on my tug expires in mid-October but the tax is due on October 1st. If I have the MOT test done early (in September) and it fails (not that I expect it to) will the current MOT still be valid, allowing me to tax it online? I realise if it fails the vehicle is deemed un-roadwothy and should not be used even though I have the current MOT receipt/certificate. Having reread this post I suppose I'm asking if an MOT failure cancels a current valid certificate.
smiley-undecided.gif
Once it fails, you cannot tax it as the systems are updated immediately. However if you apply for Road tax over the internet a couple days before the 1st October it will probably go through and you will be issued with a tax disc. Thanks for reminding me as mine is due end of September.
smiley-laughing.gif

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Interesting point - there's a circumstance when it's legal to drive an MOT-failed vehicle on the road (when taking it to a testing station for a pre-booked test). But there are no circumstances when it's legal to drive a vehicle without tax, unless you've got trade plates.
So if your let your tax and MOT expire while the car is sitting on thre driveway, then later decide to tax and MOT it (or probably un-SORN and MOT it) - you couldn't.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You are allowed to have a mot on your vechicle 1 month prior to the offical MOT date .
The garage can issue you with a failure certificate if your car fails ( mind did on dud Bulb) you are allowed to return the car to the original garage which issued the failure certificate within 17days to get the said failure repaired or replaced and you will be issued with a MOT certificate, to enable you to retax and insure your car..Failure to comply within the time limit ,Sorn will deem the car to be unroadworthy until a new MOT is carried out..

Royston

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
chrisbee 1 said:
I suppose I'm asking if an MOT failure cancels a current valid certificate.
smiley-undecided.gif

No it doesn't.........but you may be breaking the law by driving it on the public highway if the vehicle is not roadworthy.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Sorry if I seem a bit thick here, but why not retax online for the 1st October (current MoT covers the vehicle at time of renewal) then take it for its MoT nearer the final MoT date? If the vehicle fails, your Tax is not affected, only the Mot requirement has to be sorted.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
philspot1 said:
Sorry if I seem a bit thick here, but why not retax online for the 1st October (current MoT covers the vehicle at time of renewal) then take it for its MoT nearer the final MoT date? If the vehicle fails, your Tax is not affected, only the Mot requirement has to be sorted.

I'm looking at going away for the last 2 weeks in September and the first two weeks in October so need to get the MOT done before I go. I can tax it online while I'm away. As I say, hopefully it'll pass okay so shouldn't be a problem.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Gozza said:
Interesting point - there's a circumstance when it's legal to drive an MOT-failed vehicle on the road (when taking it to a testing station for a pre-booked test). But there are no circumstances when it's legal to drive a vehicle without tax, unless you've got trade plates.
So if your let your tax and MOT expire while the car is sitting on thre driveway, then later decide to tax and MOT it (or probably un-SORN and MOT it) - you couldn't.

i don't think that you are correct re tax. The Mot has to be pre- booked at a near testing station. The car doesn't need tax or trade plates re:

To/from a pre-booked MoT Test and during the test, and to/from repair premises after failing an MoT test, the vehicle is an exempt vehicle under VERA 1994 Sched.2 and requires neither road tax or number plates. The car must be insured and driver must be insured for the specified vehicle.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Gozza said:
You did say you were on Eggheads?
smiley-laughing.gif
You would have failed that question as how can you get tax if you. have no MOT?

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Surfer said:
Gozza said:
smiley-laughing.gif
Erm yes, that was my point!

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Gozza said:
Surfer said:
Gozza said:
smiley-laughing.gif
Erm yes, that was my point!
You can drive to a MOT station without any road tax if there is a pre arranged appointment, but I would think that insurance is required.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As I said above the car must be insured and not driven on someone else's insurance. Also the car has to be roadworthy which obviously is the purpose of the MoT but if in an accident or stopped by the Police driving an unroadworthy vehicle is still an offence. This also mitigated against people buying a car in Scotland and driving to Truro for their MoT.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Surfer said:
You can drive to a MOT station without any road tax if there is a pre arranged appointment, but I would think that insurance is required.
That's it in a nutshell - insuring a car doesn't require MoT or VED, MoT doesn't need VED as long as it's to a pre-arranged MoT test.
Under this concession you can even drive an MoT failure home from the pre-arranged test - provided it hasn't been "red-ticketed" as dangerously unroadworthy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings,

And, as an aside to the original question but reading the way this thread is going;
Once upon a time it was not uncommon for persons to drive the length of the country on their holidays with an untaxed, un MOT'ed vehicle by booking the vehicle in at the holiday destination for an MOT and then parking it up on a car park for the duration, cancelling the MOT and then repeating the procedure for the journey home.
I believe they have closed (or squeezed) this loophole by making it mandatory that the MOT station is close to the registered address (if there is NO MOT in force.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
emmitdb said:
Greetings,

And, as an aside to the original question but reading the way this thread is going;
Once upon a time it was not uncommon for persons to drive the length of the country on their holidays with an untaxed, un MOT'ed vehicle by booking the vehicle in at the holiday destination for an MOT and then parking it up on a car park for the duration, cancelling the MOT and then repeating the procedure for the journey home.
I believe they have closed (or squeezed) this loophole by making it mandatory that the MOT station is close to the registered address (if there is NO MOT in force.

Yes that is correct. It doesnt have to be the nearest MoT centre but it has to be within a reasonable distance of the car's registered address. "Reasonable" is of course somewhat subjective and can only realistically be defined when stopped by the ploice, or after an accident on your way to said MoT!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That's good news. One of mine is waiting for some new shock absorbers and springs as two of its 18 yearl old electrically adjustable shock gave up the ghost. So the new ones are en route from the Land of the Off Roaders (Oz)!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts