Motor home electrics

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone help. I have a fiat based swift sundance 590rs motor home.
i can use all electrics on mains and all seem to work on the cab battery but when I try to use it off the leisure battery it does not work .
i have had the fuse box checked and it is fine.
The leisure battery is a 6110 L 110amp 12 v battery.
the control panel seems to be showing that the battery is charging but only getting to 10 v . It also looks as if it is putting 40 amp into the cab battery which is drawing the charge from the leisure battery.
do you think I need a new battery or could it be something else. The battery is or I was told it was knot 2 years old.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Peppaanderson said:
Can anyone help. I have a fiat based swift sundance 590rs motor home.
i can use all electrics on mains and all seem to work on the cab battery but when I try to use it off the leisure battery it does not work .
Hi "Peppa." Do you mean none of the "habitation" stuff works AT ALL, or just not very well? If your control panel shows the battery as dellivering 10 volts, you should get SOME function from some of the equipment - fro instance, I'd expec the water pump to work, but sluggishly. If there's no sign of life at all when running from a leisure battery with 10v still in it, I'd suspect something's disconnected. You said you've had the fusebox checked, but some arrangements involve separate fuses hidden away in other places as well (mine does!).
Next step should probably be a continuity check. With the switch set to connect the leisure battery, connect a continuity meter (borrow one if you have got one) between the + terminal of the leisure battery and one of your appliances. I suspect it'll show "not continuous," meaning either something's undone or a (hidden?) fuse has blown. If you DO have continuity, maybe it's time to bite the bullet and get a new battery.
(By the way, welcome - I've done the usual "upgrade" fro you so you don't have to do the "security squiggles" anymore.)

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi Peppa - switch OFF the EHU, if it's putting 40Amp into the vehicle battery it will quickly boil that. Charge rates should be somewhere between 13.5 & 14.4volts for batteries that have a low charge. decreasing to a "float" charge 12.5volt or similar. So I suspect your Leisure Battery is failing & you are actually running on the EHU for the equipment. (with the vehicle battery just running the Fridge control, etc..) In your position, post the question on the Swift Talk forum. /www.swift-talk.co.uk/forum but state the age of your Sundance & if possible which Control Panel is fitted. Swift's are usually good responding & also Sargent's (Swift's current Control Panel supplier) are very good. There are also a couple of companies that have lots of knowledge regarding the earlier Nordelecttronica Control panels.

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your help. I did consider just getting a new leisure battery as everything works off the cab battery but nothing at all not even sluggish from the leisure battery.
my van is a 2007 on a fiat base and us a swift sundance 590rs
thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts