Motor mover auto engagement

Apr 18, 2006
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

At present I have a manual Truma mover,I'm changing caravans and

Looking at both Truma/Powrtouch AUTOMATIC engagement for single

axle.I would like ask,how do you rate the auto system if you have it fitted and do you think its worth the extra cost?

Many thanks,

FrankE.

Di3

Jul 20, 2008
Visit site
Good Morning Frank

We have the Truma SE fitted to our Pageant and have found it a god send. My husband is rather unwell at the moment so everything to do with setting up and getting ready to tow is left to me. I have found that the motor mover is easy to engage, very easy to use and was amaze when we used it recently moving van onto rescue lorry( problem with car not van), how smooth and effortlessly it moved up the incline.

Well worth the additional cost and wouldn't be without it now.

Di & Andy

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I have the power mover only problem with my model is if others are using theirs at the same time they can cancell each other out.newer models avoid this

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have the Powrtouch with auto engage and its really good

The units can be wound on/off manually in the event of actuator failure(cordless drill helps)

One of mine did fail but the Powrtouch warranty didn't!!

After the van wheel came off the weight fell onto the Powrtouch mover and actuator and acted as a skid to the nearby layby

The unit still worked

Nov 10, 2007
Visit site
Good Morning Frank

We have the Truma SE fitted to our two berth caravan and as far as we are concerned it is the Rolls Royce of movers. There was an occassion last year however when we were leaving site and went to disengage the mover from the wheel and for some reason it did not complete the full travel. On the mover there is a yellow flag showing the location of the mover. Based on the above I marked a black arrow on the body of the mover at the spot where the mover is 100% disengaged which allows a very good visual indicator. There are notches on the body however to see them you have to get on your hands and knees.

So before we leave site, my Wife and can look down comfortably and confirm the mover is 100% disenaged.

Russell

Aberdeen

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.... setting off on a journey with a caravan is very complicated... so many things to check and get right.

.... so many things to remember.

Russell's post highlights yet another....

Is the Mover fully disengaged?

Apr 18, 2006
Visit site
Hi,Thanks for your replies.

We will order the auto engagement mover through the caravan dealer.Which manufacturer?,I'm not sure about the Powrtouch,

although i liked the manual option if a handset problem occurs.

5year guarantee is a bonus.Truma is nearly 4 years old with no

trouble,some decisions to make.

Thanks for your inputs,

FrankE.

Jan 28, 2007
Visit site
hi frank,

just one last thing beore you choose, iv had two power touch movers and although they have been great and the warranty is great, i reallydont like how slow my mover 3 is, my friend has got the trauma and it seems to move so much easier andmust say faster......food for thought

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Powrtouch is geared down to improve torque

I don't really see it as a problem if its slower it gives more thinking time to avoid obstacles and you aren't wanting to go long distances

We had to move about 50 twisty yards when leaving the pitch in Brittany this year and as was wittily remarked it would take a long time to get to Roscoff like that but then that wouldn't be the point of the mover

The Powrtouch warranty service was again shown to be superb this week

As we are changing the van the mover is on the bench and has had good clean and grease but the rubber boots were getting scruffy

A call to Powrtouch and 2 new boots and even the nylon ties arrived by next days post FOC

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Frank

I have a Powrtouch unit on the Wyoming. It's brilliant and imo probably one of the best on the market. Our manual engagement socket broke, the pawl spring fell out. E-mailed Powrtouch, new one here two days later, no quibble.

Personally until we both become too old or suffer with weak limbs and bad backs we find manual engagement fine. If you are slightly frail then go for autoamatic engagement. I think it is a bit expensive but it does the job.

Powrtouch are still price matching I think. Plus they give you a 5 year guarantee.

Cheers

Dustydog

Apr 18, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments. I'm a bit concerned that all you powrtouch users seem to have had so many problems. I apprecaite there is a 5yr warranty and they are quick to sort thing out but still a lot of things going wrong with them! I've been an "anorak" on here for a few years and don't remember hearing similar stories about Truma.

PS Dusty Dog I may be "doddery" but i'm not frail!!!

Regards

FrankE

May 25, 2005
Visit site
We have had a powrtouch fitted for over 5 years and have had no problems at all during this time. We are due to change out caravan next year (currently on order) and we will be having a new powrtouch mover fitted without a doubt.

Ann

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Have had a powrtouch (manual engagement) for five and a half trouble free years it has been changed over van to van without a problem, engagement is very easy so wouldn't bother with auto system unless you need one for access or health problems. Copes well on our gravel drive and the soft touch start is excellent, I wouldn't consider another brand

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi Frank, I changed from manual to electric engagement on my powrtouch mover, much easier and less hassle and less chance of doing your back in on the spring loaded mechanism. But at a cost of course.

Your choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts