Motor mover fitting

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I fitted my Rhyno Lite Mover last year. Took around about half a day and was fairly easy. You do have to crawl about under the 'van to route cables and secure them, so getting the 'van high enough to do this easily and safely was probably the most difficult part of it. The Rhyno instructions were not particularly clear and some common sense is needed and the correct tools, but shouldn't be beyond the scope of a competent D-I-Yer. You may have to drill a hole in the floor if an existing one is not available and also a hole into the battery box for the power cables. Other manufacturers instructions seemed to be better and you can see some of them on manufacturer's websites which will give you an idea of what's involved. I thought one of hte best was teh Enduro instructions at www.purpleline.co.uk/Enduro/Images/EM103 manual UK 06-07.pdf. There are previous threads on this subject which also may help.

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I fitted my Rhyno Lite Mover last year. Took around about half a day and was fairly easy. You do have to crawl about under the 'van to route cables and secure them, so getting the 'van high enough to do this easily and safely was probably the most difficult part of it. The Rhyno instructions were not particularly clear and some common sense is needed and the correct tools, but shouldn't be beyond the scope of a competent D-I-Yer. You may have to drill a hole in the floor if an existing one is not available and also a hole into the battery box for the power cables. Other manufacturers instructions seemed to be better and you can see some of them on manufacturer's websites which will give you an idea of what's involved. I thought one of hte best was teh Enduro instructions at www.purpleline.co.uk/Enduro/Images/EM103 manual UK 06-07.pdf. There are previous threads on this subject which also may help.
Thanks, hubby is a joiner by trade and is fairly handy at diy/fixing cars etc. so should be OK, it was just me that needed re-assuring ha! ha! thanks again !

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
I am considering an E-go mover for my soon-to-be-delivered Bailey Pegasus, and was intending to fit it myself on the front driveway. Out of interest, I e-mailed my local caravan repairers in Romsey, Hants (www.caravansolutions.co.uk) and they have quoted

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Depends on your DIY skills. I've fitted and refitted the same Powrtouch mover to 3 vans now and have now got it down to a couple of hours. The wiring can take the longest time depending on just how tidy you want it to be. The best wa is to assemble the mover with all bolts loose on a ig sheet of plastic in front or behind the van depending on where you are fitting the mover, Then get some help and drag the whole thing under the van - having first raised the appropriate legs, hen use bottle or trolley jack to position on end under chassis and connect losely. With Powrtouch which uses U bolts, the ideal tools are angled rachet ringspanners e.g. from Screwfix.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry about spelling in previous posting. Due to (a) me and (b) lots of good red before dinner on sunny Spanish site

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its usual to raise the front of the van as high as possible in stages and finally resting the jockey wheel on the caravan step etc

Its straightforward if you are as they say competant

A deep socket is a big help on the Powrtouch long U bolts and a 6 to 9in block of wood helps under each mover

The long thread is a pain but does give more leeway in the height needed to raise the mover

I always fit an on/off switch in the live and negative as this means connection points so that the thicker mover cables can come from the battery to the switches and the thinner van feeds can then come from the switch terminals

This avoids 2 sets of cables inside the battery box which can be a tight fit

It can also be confoigured so that the negative switch cuts the van negative giving an isolation point and the positive switch just cuts the mover feed

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I've fitted the Enduro one myself with no real problems and as Ray says you will also have the knowledge then of how to transfer it to another van if/when you change. The only worry I had was driling the large hole (approx 4cm) in the side of the van for the isolator switch. I'm not sure yet how I will cover this up when I do change.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've fitted the Enduro one myself with no real problems and as Ray says you will also have the knowledge then of how to transfer it to another van if/when you change. The only worry I had was driling the large hole (approx 4cm) in the side of the van for the isolator switch. I'm not sure yet how I will cover this up when I do change.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The hole is not 4cm its just the neck of the switch that goes through and its usually the body of the switch inside a van locker with the switch part in the battery box under the mains lead connector

May 12, 2011
Visit site
No the Enduro one I have definitely says to fit on the outside for safety reasons. It is much wider diameter than the one shown, and surrounded by a watertight case and flap, a bit like the water input box. Having said that, I wish I had ignored the instructions, followed my first instinct and done what you suggest. Perhaps if I move to another van I'll just leave the empty case and buy another isolator to fit internally.

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
I fitted th switch inside the battery box with the Enduro also.

I leave the battery flap open when using the mover.

To me thats on the outside of the van...... certainly not on the inside!!

I found it pretty straightforward to fit but I would suggest wiring up the motors first before installing them.

I had a control box go wrong and the service was very good in supplying a replacement.

Would I pay someone

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No the Enduro one I have definitely says to fit on the outside for safety reasons. It is much wider diameter than the one shown, and surrounded by a watertight case and flap, a bit like the water input box. Having said that, I wish I had ignored the instructions, followed my first instinct and done what you suggest. Perhaps if I move to another van I'll just leave the empty case and buy another isolator to fit internally.
Thanks that's interesting.I also leave the battery box door open just incase !!

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all

I fitted the truma mover myself in about 3 hrs with no problems at all if you follow john G's advice (which is spot on) about the isolater switch you cannot go wrong there is plenty of space below the EHU socket for the isolater switch with the added bonus that the switch has to be off and the key removed in order to plug in the EHU "well mine does anyway" good luck?

oh and I nearly forgot keep the roller spacer in a safe and handy place and do a periodical check on the spacings in case anything does move or when you change the tyres some adjustment may be required from time to time.

colin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts