Motor mover remote drains batteries

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
I have a motor mover that works fine apart from the remote. When I put new batteries in it works fine, leave it for 20 minutes and the batteries are dead. I have tries duracell, and other batteries in case they were bad same thing every time, any ideas or solutions.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Thomas,

Welcome to the forum.

When you posta technical question, its really helpful if you can include the make and model of mover do you have? and how old it is. Someone may have had a similar experience.

Regardless of that detail though, that seems a very fast battery drain, so it suggests there is a fault in the hand set.

Is it still in warranty? if so you should contact your seller to get it repaired/replaced

Alternatively, and I know we are in lock-down, and they may not be at work, but
have you tried contacting the manufacturer, Some are very helpful.

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
Hi ProfjohnLy,
Thanks for the reply.
I'll have a look at the make tomorrow. The mover was a second had that was fitted by the dealer we bought the caravan from. I think there is something in the wiring that might be shorting. Is it a simple case of replacing the remote or are there any problems associated with that.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I have had both Reich & Powrtouch movers over a total of 20 years, & change the handset batteries every couple of years, more as "insurance" than a need.

Flattening a battery in 20 minutes is undoubtedly because the handset is defective, even if used, if "supplied" by the fitting dealer it is therefore "not fit for purpose", and needs him to rectify or replace it. Powrtouch I know did sell refurbished handsets, I needed one a couple of years out of warranty when one of its buttons failed.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Most handset use a printed circuit board with electronic components mounted on it with very little wiring to go wrong. It's very unlikely to have been wired wrongly, and still work at all. The symptoms you describe suggests an electronic component failure in the hand set.

Check out your rights to have a faulty product (even secondhand) repaired under the 2015 Consumer Rights Act.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
May be a button sticking so it's constantly signalling. Tv remote did the opposite nothing worked. Simple to take apart and clean it up.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Before taking the remote apart a little investigation.
Find the mover control box which will have a LED lit on it if the power is on. Put batteries into your remote and look again: if the remote is transmitting continuously there will be another LED lit, possibly flickering to show data reception. If you remove the batteries and the LED stops flickering then it is a remote transmission fault; if there is no other LED lit then the remote has other issues.
If the mover is Powrtouch then a LED will be lit on the remote adjacent to any button pressed. However IMSMC Powrtouch remotes use a PP3 battery as against the original description of 'batteries'.
The buttons on the remote are not switches as such but small top-hat shaped pieces of conductive rubber which make a resistive contact across a small grid of printed circuit tracks. If contamination has entered and it is making a resistive connection across one of more of these grids then it could be the cause of the problem. Take great care in disassembling the handset and if removing the PCB do it with the buttons facing downwards so they don't drop out. Clean the contact pads and the top hats with meths and reassemble to see if the problem is cured. If not then a replacement is the only option.

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the replys. Just another bit of info. When I push the power button on the remote a red light comes on to indicate its switched on. When I switch off the remote ie light out the batteries drain. The motor mover remote has worked fine for the last 2 years, however I don't know how old the mover is I am assuming it was at least 5 to 7 years old before I got it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Further to Woodentop's suggestion, Has the controller got wet? AS WT suggests it will be worth carefully opening up the controller and cleaning it. I would prefer to use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol if you have it rather than meths, but meths is far better than nothing. Do make sure teh control is completely dry from the cleaner before you re try it.

At best you've spent a little on cleaner, at worst you may need to replace the handset.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Is it a simple case of replacing the remote or are there any problems associated with that.

With Powrtouch movers, it is a fairly straightforward process to register a new remote. I bought a spare one off a certain online auction site and easily registered it to the Control Unit to check that it was in working order.

Reactions: JezzerB
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the replys. Just another bit of info. When I push the power button on the remote a red light comes on to indicate its switched on. When I switch off the remote ie light out the batteries drain. The motor mover remote has worked fine for the last 2 years, however I don't know how old the mover is I am assuming it was at least 5 to 7 years old before I got it.

Not quite sure what you are saying here. Is it that if you press a button on the remote a specific red light illuminates or THE red light for that particular button lights? The light should go off when you release the button - are you saying that it stays on? If so then you either have a faulty unit or the contacts have become contaminated as I described in my earlier post.

One thing is certain, it is not the mover control box that is the issue as there is no communication between it and the handset that could do that. Also you have not told us what type of mover we are concerned with here - is it a Powrtouch or another make/model?

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Silly question here but are the batteries actually dead 0v or just a bit low on voltage? All points to a failed component in the remote anyway. Check the batteries with a multimeter. Typically an AA type battery will be about 1.35 volts

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts