Motor Mover Rubber Bots Cracked

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was jacking the caravan this afternoon in order to have the tyres changed. I noticed that on both movers the rubber boots had significant cracking such that if there's rain there is a risk of water penetration into the terminal area and motors. The mover was fitted new in January 2017, and in May 2018 the Swift dealer reported boot cracking. I obtained set from Powrtouch and they were fitted. Now some. three years on they have got major cracks on both boots. A replacement set is £20 app, but I am seriously thinking of removing the old ones, cleaning the terminals etc and then using electrical waterproofing putty to seal around the terminals over wrapped with self amalgamating water proof tape. Has anyone had a similar problem and "designed" their own solution.

IMG_1728.jpegEEBB201B-33A5-4D1D-8A0A-CC223F23D2D0_1_201_a.jpeg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had similar problem on our 2019 Swift, when in for service, technician fitted new ones which he said were an improved design, not sure whether they were genuine Powertouch part but no problems since they were fitted in July 2020. Addressing your question I can see no reason why your suggestion wouldn't work, perhaps try it and see how it goes.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We had similar problem on our 2019 Swift, when in for service, technician fitted new ones which he said were an improved design, not sure whether they were genuine Powertouch part but no problems since they were fitted in July 2020. Addressing your question I can see no reason why your suggestion wouldn't work, perhaps try it and see how it goes.

Thank you. Isn't it amazing in this day and age that we are thinking things are going well on our caravans if after such short time they haven't given up the ghost.. My car boots rarely give problems unless hit by a bit of road debris, but we are grateful if a less stressed cover on a caravan lasts three years. I am going to go ahead with my suggestion as then I can control the process and materials used. I have emailed Powrtouch expressing my concerns that a good mover is let down by something which if it deteriorates can lead to motor damage.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Have used some Prysmian Electrical Weatherproofing Compound around the terminals over wrapped with self amalgamating weatherproof tape. And a tie wrap just to ensure cables stay in place.

One thing made the job a bit more tricky was that I could not get the mover covers off. It’s the first time I’ve tried as I thought I would give the sliding moving parts as quip of chain lub. Well talk about frustration. I’ve had a Reich mover and a Powrtouch Evolution and both had covers dead easy to remove. But these Classic Powrtouch just wouldn’t shift. All that holds them on is a bolt and the plastic On-Off washer. But would they shift? Despite removing the bolt that area of the cover was held solid. I suspect there’s hard dried muck in there. But with a new set £30 plus pp I rejected the Brummie screwdriver and squirted penetration fluid up there.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Notwithstanding the excellent 5 year no quibble guarantee I cannot understand why the boots are still part of the design?
The electrical connections are just as bad and basic as the blue scotch clips. Come on Truma /Powrtouch time for a long overdue upgrade. There again we are only simple caravanners🤬🤬🤬

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Talk about disappointment I thought you were going to tell me the trick of getting the covers off. They are both still really firm and rigid in the area where the screw bolt fits. I even tried gentle knocking from behind with a long wide bladed screwdriver. But alas no success. And “yes” I have RTM”

Reich again next time. 🤭

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hair dryer, hot gun
Thanks I’m about “ mover’d” out for today, but the electrical putty and self amalgamating tape seems to be staying put”ty”, but I would like to get some lub into the moving parts, so tomorrow may be remove cover day. If all else fails it’s just another squeeze underneath with the flexi nozzle on the chain lub dispenser.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Give up Clive and use the Stanley. At a Tenner a side bin them
£35 for two, it’s the boots that are £10 each. You’ve mirrored just what my wife said. Powrtouch Evolution covers are easy to remove, as one of mine once did it without any assistance on my part. And you could buy just one at that time. All this just because of poor quality boots.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Clive I’m not sure if it’s the hard plastic cover your referring to, I took mine off recently and it’s just undo the bolt and tug away, it goes into a plastic box that expands as you tighten the bolt which keeps it on, when you want to take it off loosening the bolt doesn’t fully reduce the expanded box so it’s just a case of pulling, goes back on after ok though, and yes I agree an awful design.

BP

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry Clive, I Just looked at the pics I see now it’s the rubber boot, I just pulled the power leads off and carefully slid the rubber shroud off, trouble is the rubber goes hard with age so be careful as it rips easily, make a note of which cable goes where.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry Clive, I Just looked at the pics I see now it’s the rubber boot, I just pulled the power leads off and carefully slid the rubber shroud off, trouble is the rubber goes hard with age so be careful as it rips easily, make a note of which cable goes where.

BP
BP
Thanks i had removed the bolt and also the plastic position indicator on the hexagonal shaft. But try as I might neither cover would budge. They were as firm around the bolt position just as if the bolt was still in place. I tapped from behind using a long wide blade screw driver, penetrating oil, light taps all over the resistant area. But zilch. I just wanted to lub the sliding parts.

The boots were a separate issue. Two pairs in five years just totally cracked and perished. So I’ve removed those, cleaned up the cable terminals and then used electrical weatherproof putty and self amalgamating tape. Plus three tie wraps too. It went on pretty tidily so I will just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t start to detach. A long tow in rain might be a suitable test.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I did the same with the terminals as the rubber boot is waste of space, I had to dismantle the entire thing on the one side as I thought one of the motors had packed in as only one worked, had it all to bits tried it straight to the battery and it was fine, put it all back together which was a nightmare and has been fine since, I spoke to my friendly AWS techie and his tip was the to hex head bolts shouldn’t be tightened up too tight just tighten the nuts on the back, he didn’t have a good word to say about powr touch whereas a few years ago he wouldn’t fit anything else but now he only fits Reich, if this motor on mine goes again it’ll be a reich for me, I will admit to being useless at reversing.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I did the same with the terminals as the rubber boot is waste of space, I had to dismantle the entire thing on the one side as I thought one of the motors had packed in as only one worked, had it all to bits tried it straight to the battery and it was fine, put it all back together which was a nightmare and has been fine since, I spoke to my friendly AWS techie and his tip was the to hex head bolts shouldn’t be tightened up too tight just tighten the nuts on the back, he didn’t have a good word to say about powr touch whereas a few years ago he wouldn’t fit anything else but now he only fits Reich, if this motor on mine goes again it’ll be a reich for me, I will admit to being useless at reversing.

BP
I had Reich Move Control on a 2005 Bailey. Still worked perfectly some nine years later. Plus being able to wind it on was easier than the Powrtouch lever method. Cheers

Jul 17, 2008
clogcaravanlog.blogspot.com
Mine have gone the same, I've already changed them once. They seem to have a 2 year life so I'm not going to spend another £20 to replace them.
I'm thinking of buying a suitable car tyre inner tube and cutting it down to suit. It's bound to be a lot cheaper and I'll probably get 8 out of one tube. :D

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like a good solution. My electrical putty plus self amalgamating tape has gone on well and thus far stayed in place. So unless the motor brushes need changing that will stay on ad infinitum. Despite putting heat onto the mover covers they still wouldn’t shift and I didn’t want to break them shortly before going away on holiday. Although after I get back the birmingham screwdriver may come out as it’s neigh on impossible to apply lubricant with them in place.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Funnily enough, i ordered a pair of these the other day.

The last set were buried under a roll of self amalgamating tape, but it looks a bit messy now so planned on doing it again now the weather has improved.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
After towing nearly 600 miles in some pretty wet conditions I checked out the work that I had done to seal the motor electrical connections. I had use electricians weatherproof putty around the terminals an wires. Sealed over with self amalgamating tape then for added robustness placed three zip ties around. I’m pleased to say it has all stayed firmly in place with no signs of lifting or detachment. Be a bit f a boogaloo to remove but that should only be required if I need to access the motors fir any reason. Still not got around to trying to remove the covers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts