Motor mover weight problem

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I have been contemplating fitting a motor mover to my caravan but have problems with weight which have hitherto prevented me from doing so. The MIRO of the caravan is 1060kg on paper but the actual figure is around 1105kg (partly because caravans are always heavier than in the book anyway and partly because a satellite dish and electronic stabiliser were installed later). Its MTPLM is 1300kg, leaving me with an effective payload of 195kg. This margin is almost used up once the lockers are loaded up with clothes, dishes, cooking utensils, etc. and the fridge is stocked up. Really heavy items such as the awning, if used, are always in the car. Considering I would have to uprate the battery that I already have on board to suit the mover (i.e. that will be heavier, too), I have would have a real problem to allow for the 40 or so kilos of the mover unit itself and its ancillary items. Or is there a good lightweight unit on the market that I don't know about? I could probably find a way to accommodate about 20 to 25kg additional weight. (I don't want to consider the alternative of a jockey wheel drive as I feel that's a poor compromise).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lutz I don't think that there are any lighter models on the market.When you think what the mover is asked to do it needs powerful motors and that means heavy copper windings to produce the power.I agree with what you say about battery weight.My 110 amp hour present battery weighs 4st 9lb or about30kg.The only way I can see is if you can uprate the van weight allowance.Some manufacturers will issue a higher rating plate if tyres etc are uprated to their spec.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
HI Lutz. We have a "bigfoot" motor mover for moving our van. Because it is an independent unit I can use it to move my small car luggage trailer aswell as moving my "in-laws" caravan which is also store at our house. I would not be able to do any of these task's without it as I have tendonitus in both elbows and my shoulders. I can see where your comming from with the weight problem you have with your van. But I think an independent mover would be the way to go. Just think about the fiver or so you spend extra on fuel each month (if you caravan each weekend)lugging a mover around that potentially you only use at home. I suppose it all down to personal choice and circumstance. Regards, Steve.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Lutz. It may be possible to replace some of teh parts of amover (transverse tubes etc.) with aluminium, which could save some weight, but I suspect thatthe out coem will still be 35 to 40Kg. Just a note for Steve, I think Lutz made it quite clear that he was not conntemplating a jockey wheel type of mover. I concur with him that whilst they work well on good level ground, ther are issues of safety when it comes to inclines, and ineffectiveness on soft or slippy surfaces.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lutz.

I have a powertouch model on my van I was led to believe that it was around 25 to 30 kilo's, You could find out the weight by emailing them and feel sure they would give you an exact weight. Also I use an 85 amp hour battery which is a few years old now but have no problem with the mover using it, when I use the van the mover has to cope with a pull of about 150 yards before I can get it on the car this also includes two tight right angle bends with a lot of back and forth.

Hope this helps, if you want more help you have my email address.

Regards Ron

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts