Motor mover

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
I bought a Rhyno mover 12 months ago and I am not getting the full benefit of it. I have been in touch with Rhyno but they seem unable to help so I would welcome the experience and advice of forum members.

The mover stops on occasions but often in less trying conditions than I know it can perform in. At the moment we are in the South of France and I had to recruit muscle last week to get it up a slope out of a pitch. However, the slope was no steeper than our drive way which it deals with OK. Next day after travelling I wanted to level the 'van and it would not climb the shallow plastic ramp we use. Again, human effort was called for. On both these occasions, however, the ground was softish - gravel the first time and soft sand/soil second time.

I have an 85AH battery and that was one reason for buying Rhyno as the battery was fairly new and continues to perform OK in all other respects. (Rhyno's web site stated that 85AH was OK). My local dealer had an offer on 110AH batteries earlier this year but told me it would not make any difference to the mover except that the battery would perform for longer at a time. Is this right? Should I have bought a 110AH?

Another thought - in the cases above I anticipated problems on account of the terrain so we lightened the load and took out the awning and one or two other heavy items. I now wonder if this was wrong. Would this have put too much weight on the jockey wheel and caused too much resistance. Is it better to load the back end for the purposes of moving? And would a pneumatic jockey wheel improve the situation?

Your suggestions will be most welcome as we are hitting the road again next weekend.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David,

The most common cause of the symptoms you describe is lack of battery power.

Whilst the battery may admirably cope with light drain use such as taps, pumps etc, a mover drags a HUGE amount of power on start, something like 20amps.

So, if the capacity of your battery is not as good as it was, it will struggle, or fail.

A pneumatic jockey wheel is better for movers as the solid wheels tend to dig in or drag much more.

A good 85a/h battery should be ok for a mover, a 110a/h battery will just give a longer time.

If you have a multimeter, measure the battery voltage with no power from the on board charger, then with mover engaged, measure voltage as the mover is activated and see what it drops to.

It should stay at 12v, if it drops to 11 or 10, the mover simply will not work

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your comments Damien. I do not have a multimeter with me but I will do the test when we are home next month. Sadly, batteries and electricity are foreign languages to me - if the metre in the van says 13v or thereabouts I reckon there's enough power to shift a bulldozer. Obviously not right but one day I shall get to understand it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts