Motor Mover

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
HI
I have a Towsure Move Master, that has given me great service over 9 years and two Caravans, until last week, as I was moving the van off the drive the off side motor went Phut, and died. the near side working as normal. Before I remove it, and have a rummage around inside, have you any ideas as to why??
I have checked the voltages at the motor, and they show a drop of 3 volts (which I think is normal) from the battery that shows 12.6 volts at idle. Near side continues to run as normal.
Is it possible to change the brushes, if I can buy replacements, that is??

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It "should" be possible to change the brushes, but without knowing your mover or parts it is a guess.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
HI
I have a Towsure Move Master, that has given me great service over 9 years and two Caravans, until last week, as I was moving the van off the drive the off side motor went Phut, and died. the near side working as normal. Before I remove it, and have a rummage around inside, have you any ideas as to why??
I have checked the voltages at the motor, and they show a drop of 3 volts (which I think is normal) from the battery that shows 12.6 volts at idle. Near side continues to run as normal.
I would first have the battery checked as at 12.6v when activating the mover it is going to drop right down.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
HI

Assuming your battery is otherwise healthy then 12.6 v on a wet cell is over 90% charged and on an AGM is over 80% charged, so I would not initially suspect the battery.

Can you elaborate on what "
Phut" means?
Did some smoke escape? :)

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Was the mover manufactured for Towsure by one of the 'big boys'? In which case you would have the possibility of wider access to spares or replacement parts. If you can post a photo I would expect on of the eagle-eyed to identify it for you!

Reactions: DaveA1
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Was the mover manufactured for Towsure by one of the 'big boys'? In which case you would have the possibility of wider access to spares or replacement parts. If you can post a photo I would expect on of the eagle-eyed to identify it for you!
Will do.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Assuming your battery is otherwise healthy then 12.6 v on a wet cell is over 90% charged and on an AGM is over 80% charged, so I would not initially suspect the battery.

Can you elaborate on what "
Phut" means?
Did some smoke escape?:)
It made a noise that sounded as if something shorted out PH---PHut no smoke noticed. As I Say near side working as normal. I have found a number to ring, will try it to see in still live. Will post Pics

May 2, 2020
Visit site
I would remove the carbon brushes to check for wear also check wires to brushes, it may only be that the brushes on that side are stuck and after a clean will be OK.
Gra

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I would remove the carbon brushes to check for wear also check wires to brushes, it may only be that the brushes on that side are stuck and after a clean will be OK.
Gra
My thoughts as well considering the near side is working normally.

Thanks

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Just an update on my Towsure Move Master. (similar to a power torch of a few years back).
Took brushes out cleaned them up, as well as the guides, using plenty contact cleaner, working fine now.
Have been looking to buy a spare set, eventually found someone on Ebay who sells them, out of stock. will keep looking.

Little Late, that's what it looks like. I have some new brush covers on order.
Mover 1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
That looks very, very similar to the Powrtouch Classic. The terminal connectors look very vulnerable to dirt and water which throws up from the road. Powrtouch has rubber covers which enshroud the motor and terminals, which you can buy as spares.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Simple answer - wellie the terminals in Waxoyl (available from Halfords amongst others) which will keep them in good order for years.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
That looks very, very similar to the Powrtouch Classic. The terminal connectors look very vulnerable to dirt and water which throws up from the road. Powrtouch has rubber covers which enshroud the motor and terminals, which you can buy as spares.
Mention Brush covers in previous post They are on order should be here Thursday. #11

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts