Motor movers - which one, why & how to get pricematch?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
I went with the enduro, and fitted it myself which was quite easy, if you are nimble enough to crawl around under the caravan. I managed it without jacking the van at all.

The Enduro works fine, does what it says and will manoeuvre our van (1300kg single axle Compass) pretty much anywhere and on any reasonable slope.

Some friends had the Powrtouch 3 fitted to their van, and there is not much to choose. Ours moves the van a bit faster, but the Powrtouch soft start is a bit softer and slightly more controllable.

If choosing again, based on my experience so far, I would choose the Enduro again and be quids in.

FWIW

David

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
I went with the enduro, and fitted it myself which was quite easy, if you are nimble enough to crawl around under the caravan. I managed it without jacking the van at all.

The Enduro works fine, does what it says and will manoeuvre our van (1300kg single axle Compass) pretty much anywhere and on any reasonable slope.

Some friends had the Powrtouch 3 fitted to their van, and there is not much to choose. Ours moves the van a bit faster, but the Powrtouch soft start is a bit softer and slightly more controllable.

If choosing again, based on my experience so far, I would choose the Enduro again and be quids in.

FWIW

David
I forgot to mention, the enduro moves the caravan on fairly deep gravel without any problems, although sometimes the jockeywheel digs in and changes the direction, but that will happen with any mover.

David

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
For what size van do people consider a motor mover essential?

We're looking at purchasing our first van (Ace Award Firestar) with an MLTPM of 1460kg. Should I expect to be able to move this around on my own or with the help of my wife. (our drive is level but gravelled)

Cheers

Gavin
You will struggle to move it on gravel without a mover. Ours (MTPLM 1300kg) took four of us the first time I tried to get it on the drive. A manual Pupleline hitchdrive also struggled as it wouldn't get enough grip on the gravel. Worked OK on tarmac though.

David

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Done the deal with Powrtouch and we're having a Powrtouch 3 mover with powrbar fitted mid-February. They've pricematched the Enduro and we're getting it for

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Word of advice Claire and Rob. If it is being parked on a slope don't just rely on the handbrake to hold it.

Put the steadies down first with the handbrake on before releasing the mover rollers. We also use chocks because ours is steep.

The first time ever I parked ours on the drive I put the handbrake on and then released the mover before putting the steadies down. We watched it slowly moved until it came up against the bungalow wall. Thankfully it only left a small scratch in the GRP. We learn by our mistakes.

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that Lord B we'll bear that in mind.

The actual parking space is only a very slight slope, it's just getting it there that's a bit tricky. It's presently parked with the wheels chocked and the handbrake off so that it doesn't seize up over the winter but we put the brake on every time we go in as a precaution. Rob's Dad suggested that the handbrake should be left off as he does this with his motorhome and he was about to remove it on our caravan when we had to subtly remind him (actual yelled "NO!" to stop him!) that our van doesn't have gears to stop it rolling! Chocks then applied and job's a good 'un.

We have actually decided that while we get used to using the motor mover, one of us will operate the remote control and the other will walk along side the caravan hitch so that the handbrake can be manually applied if necessary.

It's all a big learning curve because, as some of you will be aware, we've only had the caravan since October and so have only had one trip out so far although this was on 2 different sites so we got a bit of extra setting up practice. We love it though and have got 6 holidays booked already for this season starting at Easter. We're hoping the mover will be of great assistance when arriving on sites too as reversing it onto the pitches was not our strong point!

Cheers everyone

Claire & Rob

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Claire, your learning curve will last all of about 5 minutes using the mover, it really is that easy. Theres not many who can reverse onto a pitch inch perfect but with the mover you will be able to do that. Imagine yourself reversing your car into a tight space only it's your caravan. It's far easier than reverse parking of a car and you can put the van exactly where you want it.

Maybe when you pull up alongside your pitch you could engage the rollers while your hubby unhitched and moved the car, just get into a routine.

If we are leaving or arriving on site and someone is manouvering/hitching/unhitching their outfit I always tell them not to rush and take their time, rushing is when mistakes can be made.

When leaving Cirencester Park for home a car was hitching up and blocking the drive. I told him not to rush but as he left the pitch fast there was an almighty crash from inside the caravan just as if a microwave had fallen. He pulled in further up the drive but I felt quite sick for the poor people. Whatever it was it certainly sounded costly.

So whatever you do, don't rush, most don't mind waiting, after all we all have plenty of time being on holiday.

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
We're really glad that our experience has helped other out too. Service from Powrwheel so far has been exemplary - everything has happened well within the timescales given and they've been a great company to deal with. Also glad to be buying British (even though our caravan was built in Germany!)

Ours is to be fitted next Wednesday and we got the Powrbar as well. We were quite shocked by the sizes of the 3 boxes that everything arrived in though!

Cheers to everyone here who offered such invaluable advice, particularly Ann who got us thinking of a mover instead of seeking out alternative storage.

Claire & Rob

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Well, we've just had the mover fitted and we're well chuffed with it! It's going to make our caravanning experiences so much easier and more pleasurable. Powrtouch have been great to deal with and the fitter was a pleasant chap who gave us a decent demonstration of the mover and plenty of advice on it's capabilities.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend - especially with the pricematch!

Claire & Rob

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
Well Guy's

Had ours fitted today, spent nearly half an hour mucking about with it. Amazing control and power. I was amazed the way it tracked across coarse deep gravel. Previously it would take 4 adults to move the van across this, the POWRTOUCH 3 coped easily. At times across simple flat sections of tarmac you feel that maybe it should go a little faster but its more for difficult manouvers than straightine speed! After finally parking the caravan back in its winter resting placed I was amazed to see that the battery condition was still as good as full!!

The kids will love it!!

A fantastic product - very impressive and purchased. delivered and fitted without a single hitch or problem!!

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that Lord B we'll bear that in mind.

The actual parking space is only a very slight slope, it's just getting it there that's a bit tricky. It's presently parked with the wheels chocked and the handbrake off so that it doesn't seize up over the winter but we put the brake on every time we go in as a precaution. Rob's Dad suggested that the handbrake should be left off as he does this with his motorhome and he was about to remove it on our caravan when we had to subtly remind him (actual yelled "NO!" to stop him!) that our van doesn't have gears to stop it rolling! Chocks then applied and job's a good 'un.

We have actually decided that while we get used to using the motor mover, one of us will operate the remote control and the other will walk along side the caravan hitch so that the handbrake can be manually applied if necessary.

It's all a big learning curve because, as some of you will be aware, we've only had the caravan since October and so have only had one trip out so far although this was on 2 different sites so we got a bit of extra setting up practice. We love it though and have got 6 holidays booked already for this season starting at Easter. We're hoping the mover will be of great assistance when arriving on sites too as reversing it onto the pitches was not our strong point!

Cheers everyone

Claire & Rob
Hi Clare and Rob,

We've just got our van at 1700kg and not realised that when we push it manually it stops where it is dead!!!

We want a mover!

I've been unable to locate Alan's caravans, do you have a phone number for them oe their email address we could contact them on.

Thanks for the help, Paul

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts