Motorhome v caravan

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
There are motorhoms, and there are caravans, each have their own merits/demerits, and 'twill be forever thus.
I've tried both, over almost 50 years and have been a staunch caravanner now for over 25 years. That's my choice, but if Fred down the road wants a m/home, then that is his choice!
Mind you, at this time of year it must be nice to pull up on site in an already warm motorhome, instead of waiting for it to heat up!
So perhaps the answer- M/H for winter, caravan for summer!

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Oh Colin! Your rose coloured spectacles seem to be working for you!

not at all Sir Gab, horses for courses, your a fellow biker, yes well the comparison would be like using a CBR to go round a Motorcross track, or a KLR for a weeks touring to the south coast. different bikes for different uses but they are both motorbikes..

motor homes and caravans are similar, in the fact you can eat, sleep,and live in them while away from home, but are meant for a different type of usage, the confusion seems to be in the usage, driving one 200 miles plonking it on a site for a week and then driving it back home again is not what motor homes are for. that is the caravan domain.
just the same as it would be towing a van on a 1000 mile tour never unhitching it from the car except for the odd night on a site. totally the wrong idea. this is the domain of the motor home, if people cannot see the difference it is not for me to educate them.
each to their own AS I said before we had both, enjoyed both but for different types of holiday.
while kids were young, a caravan was ideal for long weeks away plopped somewhere near the coast for a bit of R and R as far away from, work as possible.
as the kids got older and no longer wished to go when other things got in the way, we tried being more adventurous and going to places far and wide. this soon became tiresome pitching and un pitching just about every day and the van was nearly always on the back of the car it didn't work so well, so along came the motor home suited perfectly for this type of holiday we saw and did things over the next 10 years we could never have done with a van on the back.
then of course as we got older and disabilities came along at the same time fuel prices reached record levels it was time to return to the caravan and plonking it on a site for a couple of weeks. now we cannot even do that, so we sold the van and rent cottages instead,
no rose tinted glasses just a practical difference between units and there uses, both have a place and both just as good it is just a matter of how you use them.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Each to their own, but when we plonk the caravan on a site for any length of time we still have a rather comfortable vehicle to explore the surrounding area with. We've been known to give our motorhome owning friends and acquaintances lifts into town, to the pub or supermarket on occasion. :)
I wouldn't ming posing at music festivals in a nice retro VW campervan though :cheer:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts