Motorised jockey wheel

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Hi all

I'm thinking about a motorised jockey wheel for the caravan. I'm considering the cheaper option rather than a conventional motor mover because I saw the "damp man" yesterday, and he told me as gently as possible that this van has maybe only got a year or so left in it...so I'm reluctant to invest massively.

So...motorised jockey wheels - assuming I've already got in mind how it would affect my ability to get a decent nose weight, are there any other hidden pitfalls I should be considering?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi all

I'm thinking about a motorised jockey wheel for the caravan. I'm considering the cheaper option rather than a conventional motor mover because I saw the "damp man" yesterday, and he told me as gently as possible that this van has maybe only got a year or so left in it...so I'm reluctant to invest massively.

So...motorised jockey wheels - assuming I've already got in mind how it would affect my ability to get a decent nose weight, are there any other hidden pitfalls I should be considering?
Would be okay for use on hard surfaces but suspect it might struggle on gravel or muddy ones. The extra weight whilst installed for travel would obviously have an effect on noseweight and would have to be compensated for.

Reactions: Gozza2
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I should have specified, I'll mainly use it at the storage site, where it can be a real struggle to get the angles to reverse the caravan into its bay, when all the nearby spaces are occupied. The surface is uneven tarmac with a gentle uphill incline into the bay.

It's been lovely this year, the 'van that causes me the most trouble has been gone all summer so I've not had a problem, but when I got back from the damp man yesterday they'd returned. I ended up having to manhandle the 'van back into its bay, which with the incline and un-evenness wasn't the nicest way to spend half an hour.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unless you have a perfectly level, smooth surface on which to run it, they are more trouble than they are worth and can be very dangerous in some circumstances.

They are totally useless on anything other than tarmac or concrete.

As far as inclines go they struggle and if the van decides to run away, it will,,,,,,,with you as well.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I understand your cost consideration, but don’t forget that ‘proper’ movers can be transferred to a new van in the future.

I think a jockey wheel mover would struggle more often than not.

John

Reactions: WayneS
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As above. They do not work very well on any surface unlessit is concrete or tar so would be a waste od money especially if you are going to upgrade. A proper motor mover can be transferred to another caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A motorised jockey wheel, has no more ability than an adult human. As others have said fine on hard flat surfaces, but potentially dangerous on any kind of slope that you could not mange yourself.

Its not a lack of power/torque, they can easily out haul you, but its their inability to put that power to use, and also think of the other critical aspect, their poor capability ability to stop and hold a caravan once on any incline, If you couldn't hold the caravan on a particular slope, the chances are a jockey wheel mover couldn't either. They also have poor traction on gravel or damp grass (or worse)

Basically maximum grip a wheel can achieve is determined by the thrust which pushes it to the ground. At the caravans tow hitch all you have is the weight of the mover and the caravans nose load, where as each of the main wheels have almost half the weight of the caravan on them - a big difference and a much better safety margin.

Most are are not designed to be left on the caravan when being towed, so you have to consider the storage. They also tend to be quite heavy ( about the weight of an adult) so its something else to consider when loading the car or caravan, and the fact that you have to manhandle it when ever you need it.

Great in a flat workshop or storage yards, and I've know a couple of caravan dealers that used them for moving stock.

There is a good reason why the full motor movers are so good, its becasue they can get the grip to start and stop, and they can be safely operated on inclines.

Edit Added clarification

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
where as the main wheels have almost half the weight of the caravan on them - a big difference and a much better safety margin.

Is that a typo Prof? Where’s the other half🤔

• Wow
Reactions: ProfJohnL
Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I do understand your feeling about not wishing to spend a fortune on a motor mover: we bought ours from a breakers near Barnstaple a couple of years back for £150: I paid an engineer to fit it (as wasn't confident to try to myself) -buying this way kept cost down & I wouldn't be without it! As has been said you can always remove and re-use or re-sell the mover if you need to one day change caravans.
Might be worth a look at breakers or online auction etc?

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Had mine fitted on the drive (in the pouring rain) by a guy on his back who knew exactly what he was doing and have never looked back since for about £650 with the 5 year guarantee. All new and demonstrated for me - even tips like holding the controller 'backwards' when reversing the van so the buttons then correspond to direction of travel when straight or turning! Then we were both rather soaking too!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For £650 you could have bought a proper Powrtouch motor mover and still have £50 in your pocket and a 5 year warranty.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts