Mould formation removal

Jun 20, 2005
17,778
3,828
50,935
Visit site
So today the usual annual ritual of removing the dreaded mould. Imo there is only one way to remove it without leaving a stain. Use the vacuum cleaner with the soft brush attachment . I tried washing it years ago with disastrous results. Prevention , tried all sorts of things to no avail. Our van is not heated whilst in storage. Do all you guys have this problem or is it just me😜😜
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,896
3,190
40,935
Visit site
I don't know about this year yet, I haven't seen the van since December, but we haven't had the mould problem since we stopped using furniture polish on the wood work, we use the polish during the summer but after about October when we are not sure about getting out so often we just wipe everything over with a microfiber cloth. And for the last three years NO mould.
 
Jun 20, 2005
17,778
3,828
50,935
Visit site
That’s interesting Hutch. You think polish causes the problem over winter? We do polish the interior with Mr Sheen
 
Jun 16, 2020
4,917
2,004
6,935
Visit site
Not a problem we have had. But what sounds odd to me, is: Mold is normally associated with damp. Therefore not, in my experience, something that can be vacuumed.

John
 
Nov 11, 2009
21,112
6,668
50,935
Visit site
Never used polish on the furniture as I was told it encourages mould. The soft furnishings are all upended fir storage and all lockers draws etc opened up. Touch wood we’ve not had any problems on the soft furnishings or hard surfaces.
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,896
3,190
40,935
Visit site
Not a problem we have had. But what sounds odd to me, is: Mold is normally associated with damp. Therefore not, in my experience, something that can be vacuumed.

John
It was Parksy, that pointed it out to me, it happend in the last couple of vans, no damp, but after winter the green dry powdery stuff, appeared. Stopped using The Mr Sheen or Lidls W5 polish, and gave everything a wipe over with a anti bac, surface wipe and the green stuff never reappeared.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Parksy
Jun 16, 2020
4,917
2,004
6,935
Visit site
Mould is a very dry spore whilst Mildew is damp orientated. Mine is powder dry mould. No damp.

Not quite, both need damp attmospheres to grow. Of the two it’s the mildew that’s easiest to remove, mould can penetrate the surface.

  • The easiest way to distinguish mold from mildew is their appearance: Mildew grows with a flat appearance and outward in a pattern along small crevices (like between bathroom tiles), often with a shape resembling a large dark spill. It’s often greenish-black or slimy in appearance. Mold often grows in a pattern with many small circles and has a slightly fuzzy appearance, rising above the surface it grows on.
  • Both are found in different colors and shades, especially as they continue growing as the color may change as time goes by.
  • They’re both microscopic fungi and many variations exist. Both grow when the right combination of temperature & moisture/wet surfaces exist. Both grow where organic material can supply them.
  • Mildew typically does far less damage and is easier to get rid of than mold. Often a good cleaner and a bit of scrubbing are all you need. However, mold causes permanent damage to the materials it grows on and often requires replacement. You may need professional service to safely handle mold damage.
  • Both can produce spores you may inhale, and some molds produce mycotoxins (toxins they release). This can lead to serious health problems, especially respiratory.
They can go powdery if they subsequently dry out. Spores my remain and regrow when conditions are right.

Perhaps you have neither.

John
 
Nov 11, 2009
21,112
6,668
50,935
Visit site
I won’t cut and paste but for anyone who really wishes to investigate the subject Wikipedia has an excellent article. Suffice to say I’m in Hutch’s camp. A good wipe over with a light bleach solution has kept our vans clear. Despite winters seemingly becoming wet for longer.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildew
PS I wouldn’t advocate a dehumidifier as the earths atmosphere will always win.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
10,896
3,190
40,935
Visit site
I believe a high alcohol atmosphere in the caravan helps keep down the growth of the fungi/ mould, so that is why we don't have much in ours
 
  • Like
Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
9,841
2,124
30,935
Visit site
We have always put this in our caravan
Kontrol streamline moisture trap scent free
it helps to combat condensation damp, mould, mildew and prevents unsightly stains and musty outdoors to each its own
 

Attachments

  • MGN00002-kontrol-streamline-moisture-trap-1.jpg
    MGN00002-kontrol-streamline-moisture-trap-1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1

Parksy

Moderator
Nov 12, 2009
11,904
2,399
40,935
Visit site
We avoid using polish on the caravan woodwork, a general surface detergent wipe does the trick and I always leave a couple of windows on the night latch in storage to create a through flow of air circulation.
We don't have mould or mildew, at least I hope not because next week will be the first time we've seen the caravan since early October.
 
Jan 3, 2012
9,841
2,124
30,935
Visit site
We avoid using polish on the caravan woodwork, a general surface detergent wipe does the trick and I always leave a couple of windows on the night latch in storage to create a through flow of air circulation.
We don't have mould or mildew, at least I hope not because next week will be the first time we've seen the caravan since early October.
Hi Parksy good luck hope your caravan is mould or mildew free keep us updated
 
Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
13,106
3,729
40,935
Visit site
Not quite, both need damp attmospheres to grow. Of the two it’s the mildew that’s easiest to remove, mould can penetrate the surface.

  • The easiest way to distinguish mold from mildew is their appearance: Mildew grows with a flat appearance and outward in a pattern along small crevices (like between bathroom tiles), often with a shape resembling a large dark spill. It’s often greenish-black or slimy in appearance. Mold often grows in a pattern with many small circles and has a slightly fuzzy appearance, rising above the surface it grows on.
  • Both are found in different colors and shades, especially as they continue growing as the color may change as time goes by.
  • They’re both microscopic fungi and many variations exist. Both grow when the right combination of temperature & moisture/wet surfaces exist. Both grow where organic material can supply them.
  • Mildew typically does far less damage and is easier to get rid of than mold. Often a good cleaner and a bit of scrubbing are all you need. However, mold causes permanent damage to the materials it grows on and often requires replacement. You may need professional service to safely handle mold damage.
  • Both can produce spores you may inhale, and some molds produce mycotoxins (toxins they release). This can lead to serious health problems, especially respiratory.
They can go powdery if they subsequently dry out. Spores my remain and regrow when conditions are right.

Perhaps you have neither.

John

Excellent article however it is advisable to wear a mask when dealing with mould as mould spores can attack the human respiratory system.
 
Jun 16, 2020
4,917
2,004
6,935
Visit site
Excellent article however it is advisable to wear a mask when dealing with mould as mould spores can attack the human respiratory system.

Both mould and mildew spores can cause ill effects, as can wet and dry rot spores. That is why the spores need eradicating with mild bleach as has already been mentioned, but this can cause discolouring to some surfaces. There are other treatments which say they do not do this.

John

PS. Should add, mould or mildew do not necessarily mean there is a damp issue, they can be caused by condensation and/or high humidity. The spores need to be present or dormant though. Which is why they need eradicating not just removing.

IMO ventilation is the best way to prevent.
 
Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
21,112
6,668
50,935
Visit site
Both mould and mildew spores can cause ill effects, as can wet and dry rot spores. That is why the spores need eradicating with mild bleach as has already been mentioned, but this can cause discolouring to some surfaces. There are other treatments which say they do not do this.

John
I’ve used diluted bleach, or Milton now for many years and never any sign of discolouration or damage to caravan work surfaces or furniture hard surfaces. Its not sloshed round just wiped using a fine spray onto a j cloth.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
13,106
3,729
40,935
Visit site
I’ve used diluted bleach, or Milton now for many years and never any sign of discolouration or damage to caravan work surfaces or furniture hard surfaces. Its not sloshed round just wiped using a fine spray onto a j cloth.
Nothing to do with mould, but we will not use Milton in our caravan as have a stainless steel sink and I have been told that it can discolour the sink. Probably alright for mould as you say.
 
Nov 11, 2009
21,112
6,668
50,935
Visit site
We have just come back from viewing Vannie McVan just to move the wheels, check tyre pressure etc. Everything inside looks fine and the outside is still amazingly clean. There are a few dark streaks beneath the windows and grab handles but a gentle wipe on one streak removed with a wet finger end. Thank heavens for Fenwicks Overwintering fluid. In fact it looks clean enough to tour. But there again my standards might be questioned by some.
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts