Moving to a larger van

May 20, 2012
Visit site
My wife, Hilary, and I would love to hear from anyone else who moved from a sub-6m van to a 7m van and in particular we'd like to hear what challenges were brought about by switching to a longer vehicle and how you overcame these.

All feed back gratefully received!

Martin

Background:
We have been motor caravanning for several years and have tried to stick to compact vans, less than 6 metres long. We've had several Auto Sleepers vans, predominantly with the end-kitchen layout, which by and large we've been very satisfied with. We are now attracted by the idea of a different layout, specifically the garage and rear raised fixed bed. However, we don't think a transverse double will work when the bed is so close to the ceiling and are therefore thinking of something like the Hymer 588 layout with singles or a longitudinal double above the garage. This however will mean potentially moving to a 7 metre van or sacrificing kitchen and bathroom space and facilities.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
We're looking to move up next time too - though not for another 18 months.
Have you looked at the Chausson models, with electric drop-down beds? Theirs descend all the way to a proper "bed" level, and there's still some good storage at the back of the van. They're certainly our "front-runner" at the moment, and not just because you can get them on a Ford base.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Not quite 7 metres but we moved up from a 5.5 metre Elddis to a 6.75 metre Burstner in February 2012. Jill does the vast majority of our driving but as found no problems. Indeed, the Burstner is easier to drive as it is low profile rather than having a Luton.

We have a fixed French bed and don't like the drop down ones. Jill tends to sit up a bit later than I do whilst I tend to get up at least half an hour earlier in the mornings. Most drop down bed models make the seating unusable when the bed is lowered but we have both sleeping and seating available with our arrangement.

Graham

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
True Graham.
Unless you have a very long van, drop-down beds usually take out the lounge, so you do need to work roughly the same shifts.
Not a problem for us - although I'm the "morning person" and Liz is the opposite, it only really affects who makes the morning tea and who tidies up the kitchen at night. But if you have serious early/late issues, you do need independent lounge space.
French beds are a good solution there - I don't like the ones over a garage, where you have to climb a ladder!

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't mind the ladder so much but transverse beds are a no-no because of the need to climb over one another on occasion :lol:
Our French bed works because it is possible for the person on the "inside" to exit/enter from the foot of the bed :)

Graham

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks very much everybody. We're now investigating two new Hymer models - the Hymer Van 374 (5.99m, garage, fixed single beds) and the Hymer B DL 444 (5.99m, garage, drop down single beds). Looks like 7m won't be required after all!

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
It appears you have come to a good decision . You have to think about the weight issue, if you are approaching 70, or are above already. Most larger vans will be over 3500.
We have removed our aircon as we found we had a weight issue !! They don't tell you about weight when you order all these extras !
Good luck in your search, and let us know what you decide on

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
They will be before any add on (Awning , maybe gas bottles bike rack) Water and fuel will not be included in this either
So definitely go for a high payload.
Payload is often forgotten, especially for ex caravanners , who do not have this problem , as you have the car to take lots of extras.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts