moving to spain

Oct 19, 2005
Visit site
re moving to spain, I would like to move to spain and as part of this want to buy a large caravan to use as a mobile base whilst I sound out the various areas available to buy property, a number of options I have considered are

1, large 4x4 towing vehicle , twin wheel van

2, large volvo estate, twin wheel van

3, minibus, twin wheel van, (as I propose to set up a business providing airport transfer services)

all preferably diesel powered

are there any advantages/disadvantages to the above options? I believe a twin wheel van will provide a good level of comfort and space as we may spend some little while discovering our preferred location, and need the towing vehicle to explore the area,

are there any disadvantages

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Hello Karl,

All three have their advantages and disadvantages and as long as you vehicle meets the 85% rule then you should be OK, on that point Spain for its part is very mountainous and the most obvious point is that of that tugging a van through Andalusia is pleasant with as a car man enough for the Job.

Ideally you should sound out a few campsites with regards to twin axles, Spain has its Gypsies/traveller problems and the same rules apply there as here.

Lastly it's a few years since I've studied European Transport Law (it was a component of my degree) but looking at Spanish coaches recently nothing seams to have changed namely

If you take a English Registered minibus to Spain and try to a business with it you a won't get a carriage licence, you won't get any insurance and if you get caught by the Guardia Civil picking up at the airport you better get used to a period in Jail. Operating with out the correct commercial licences for Passenger or Goods transport is viewed very dimly.

Far better to buy a cheap but reliable vehicle over here; use at as run-around, then when you get established you can buy a locally register mini-bus and go through the system.

Good luck with your move

Monkey's Husband

Oct 19, 2005
Visit site
Hello Karl,

All three have their advantages and disadvantages and as long as you vehicle meets the 85% rule then you should be OK, on that point Spain for its part is very mountainous and the most obvious point is that of that tugging a van through Andalusia is pleasant with as a car man enough for the Job.

Ideally you should sound out a few campsites with regards to twin axles, Spain has its Gypsies/traveller problems and the same rules apply there as here.

Lastly it's a few years since I've studied European Transport Law (it was a component of my degree) but looking at Spanish coaches recently nothing seams to have changed namely

If you take a English Registered minibus to Spain and try to a business with it you a won't get a carriage licence, you won't get any insurance and if you get caught by the Guardia Civil picking up at the airport you better get used to a period in Jail. Operating with out the correct commercial licences for Passenger or Goods transport is viewed very dimly.

Far better to buy a cheap but reliable vehicle over here; use at as run-around, then when you get established you can buy a locally register mini-bus and go through the system.

Good luck with your move

Monkey's Husband
cheers for the reply, it has helped me greatly

karl

TRENDING THREADS