MRO or MiRO.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have been caravanning 25 years, and I have always said you never stop learning. Whilst my caravan has been at the bodgers repairers, its contents are piled behind me, and out of boredom the other day I grabbed the handbook. I am aware that the precise details of what contstitues MRO changed a few years back, and whilst reading what is included, I learnt something I should have known. Perhaps this thread can answer a few questions that are no doubt puzzling some of our newer caravanners. I for one never knew some of the things that were now included in the MRO, such as the Aquaroll and Wastemaster. As mine always travel in the car, I have never had to consider their weight, and I now find they are included.

My handbook states:

Allowances for essential equipment is now contained in the MRO and include:

LPG, 1 x Lite cylinder 10kg (knew that)
Fresh Water in Water Heater 8.5 kg (I never travel with any fuids except a couple of pints in the flush)
Toilet Tank with 2l of fluid 2kg

Items fitted at the point of manufacture, i.e hookup cable, plastic step, waste and water containers (empty) are now included in the MRO, that I didnt know.

For newer caravanners, dont forget that any optional extras you had as a factory fit do not count to MRO.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
But were the Aquaroll or the Wastemaster ever "fitted" at the factory?

I suspect you are reading more into those words than intended, IMO they are for vans & motorhomes with "fitted" water and waste tanks.

Reactions: Thingy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have been caravanning 25 years, and I have always said you never stop learning. Whilst my caravan has been at the bodgers repairers, its contents are piled behind me, and out of boredom the other day I grabbed the handbook. I am aware that the precise details of what contstitues MRO changed a few years back, and whilst reading what is included, I learnt something I should have known. Perhaps this thread can answer a few questions that are no doubt puzzling some of our newer caravanners. I for one never knew some of the things that were now included in the MRO, such as the Aquaroll and Wastemaster. As mine always travel in the car, I have never had to consider their weight, and I now find they are included.

My handbook states:

For newer caravanners, dont forget that any optional extras you had as a factory fit do not count to MRO.
Yours is quite different to mine which changed when MRO was first redefined. Mine doesn’t include aquaroll or waste master or any fluid. It allows 1 x 6 kg gas (10 kg actual) step, documents, electrical lead, water inlet hose. Just shows how you need to check everything to do with caravans. The industry cannot even agree on something as straightforward as MRO. Cottage industry doesn’t even cover it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our caravan as it has an onboard tank the wastemaster was included in the MIRO(EU Regs). We also have the battery included in the MIRO. LPG is 20kg, but we only carry one Safefill bottle.
I cannot think under what circumstances the aquaroll would be included? Mains lead and cheap plastic steps would be included in MIRO.
BTW checking the handbook it refers to PMTPLM (Plated Maximum Technical Permitted Laden Mass) and Actual MTPLM.
After that the 2018 Owner's Manual goes pear shape as it states nose weight should not be more than 100kg but the NCC sticker states 150kg. It then states that the wastemaster and battery are part of the PEP when they are not.
Good job we dis not believe the Owner's manual and before anyone says anything, Elddis confirmed that it was a mistake in the print.
BTW what are the EU regulations on what is included in the MIRO?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I suspect you are reading more into those words than intended, IMO they are for vans & motorhomes with "fitted" water and waste tanks.

Just what the book says. The book doesnt cover motorhomes, caravans only. Dont shoot me, I didnt write it ;)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
In my case, the book says the battery is not included, but vaguely says 20kg for the battery has been included in personal. Its got to be confusing for new caravanners.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
And for older caravanners too. My handbook refers me to the User Manual for what is included in MRO. But the large handbook, short guide and technical specifications document don’t cover it. There isn’t even a User Manual. It’s the Owners Handbook and Service Schedule. So I actually contacted Swift who emailed me the details of what was included. The van was weighed “ empty “ on purchase with its MRO kit, tanks empty, mover fitted, battery fitted and aquaroll and waste containers in situ. That was then the basis for my own payload calculations.

Reactions: Hutch
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Sp that confirms in the case of Swift at least that Aquaroll and Wastemater are included. Im willing to bet, in spite of the makers complying with Euro regulations, that the handbooks and even their take on what is included are different things.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sp that confirms in the case of Swift at least that Aquaroll and Wastemater are included. Im willing to bet, in spite of the makers complying with Euro regulations, that the handbooks and even their take on what is included are different things.
My aquaroll and waste weren’t included in the email on MRO from Swift.

Reactions: JTQ
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
All seems a bit odd as many caravans will not function without battery, although a mains lead is included. I guess that according to type and spec of battery the weights will vary. while the mains lead is fairly standard in 25mtr length.
If it's helpful here are two versions for readers outlining what is and not included -
Caravan Genius: Weights and Measures - Practical Caravan
Quick guide to caravan weights and payloads - Practical Advice - New & Used Caravans & Caravanning Reviews - Out and About Live

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Isn't what is include din the MIRO based on EU regulations? I know it was last updated in 2015.

I don't think it is an EU Regulation, but an EU Standard.
Possibly: EU standard EN 1646-2 ???

But I can't afford to buy a copy, not that that would help as IMO the NCC only selectively followed it and left out or changed some aspects for their members.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't think it is an EU Regulation, but an EU Standard.
Possibly: EU standard EN 1646-2 ???

But I can't afford to buy a copy, not that that would help as IMO the NCC only selectively followed it and left out or changed some aspects for their members.

You're right, it's not an EU regulation. It's an industry standard which, by the way, has been adopted into British Standards. Because it's not a regulation, the manufacturers are at liberty to abide by it or not. The regulations do state that the MIRO cannot be less than what the standard specifies, but the manufacturer can include further items in the MIRO if he wants and if they were included in the caravan that was submitted for type approval..

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You're right, it's not an EU regulation. It's an industry standard which, by the way, has been adopted into British Standards. Because it's not a regulation, the manufacturers are at liberty to abide by it or not. The regulations do state that the MIRO cannot be less than what the standard specifies, but the manufacturer can include further items in the MIRO if he wants and if they were included in the caravan that was submitted for type approval..
Thanks for the update. I know water was originally included if you had an onboard tank but that has been dropped by the NCC in 2015. See HERE.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the update. I know water was originally included if you had an onboard tank but that has been dropped by the NCC in 2015. See HERE.
Interesting link but I find the title misleading. For the life of me I cannot understand why the caravan industry would include water in tanks as part of MRO. It’s also interesting how the “old ” 3-5% variation on the ex works weight has been subsumed. Could be as much as 65 kg on a 1300 kg ex works van. It’s enough to make you paranoid. Do DVSA allow for humidity or even minor damp in roadside checks. Damp deducts from payload. (TIC)

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I said that MIRO is covered by an industry standard. I should have said minimum payload is covered by an industry standard. The regulations only state that MIRO includes all "standard" items, but it's up to the manufacturer to interpret that statement. After all, the regulations apply to all vehicles, including HGV's, so they don't reflect any specific issues pertaining to caravans.
Fact is, that MIRO is not the weight of the caravan in question anyway, but the weight of the caravan that the manufacturer submitted for type approval. There can be a difference, depending on any difference in spec between the two.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I said that MIRO is covered by an industry standard. I should have said minimum payload is covered by an industry standard. The regulations only state that MIRO includes all "standard" items, but it's up to the manufacturer to interpret that statement. After all, the regulations apply to all vehicles, including HGV's, so they don't reflect any specific issues pertaining to caravans.
I think it was based around what made a caravan habitable and ready to use. However there is a difference between EU caravans which don't require 12v to operate and many British caravans where 12v is essential to operate. As for the original water issue, who on earth in their right mind would want to cart nearly 50kg of water around?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Much of the kit we have in EU vans is just the same as British vans, and requires 12 V, heating control systems & pumps as examples. And back in 2007 when I ordered this one the battery was factory fit and included in the MIRO used for our contract. Initially very impressive paperwork, everything standard and optional, listed with the masses, just that on receipt of the built van, the weighed weight was way out!

The water in storage tanks is quite possibly because carrying some water is the norm for motor caravans?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I think it was based around what made a caravan habitable and ready to use. However there is a difference between EU caravans which don't require 12v to operate and many British caravans where 12v is essential to operate. As for the original water issue, who on earth in their right mind would want to cart nearly 50kg of water around?

The 12v system that runs off the leisure battery is not required for road traffic purposes and that is all that relevant for the regulations. What is required when one is one site is of no concern for the regulations.

The water in storage tanks is quite possibly because carrying some water is the norm for motor caravans?

As I said before, the regulations weren't written with caravans or motor caravans specifically in mind. They apply just as much to commercial vehicles where tanks may have to be filled for use on the road.

Whether a battery is included or not is up to the manufacturer. He may leave the choice of battery up to the customer, in which case the caravan would leave the factory without it (if it's not required for towing purposes) and then it wouldn't be included in the caravan that he submitted for type approval and consequently wouldn't be included in the MIRO.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Whether a battery is included or not is up to the manufacturer. He may leave the choice of battery up to the customer, in which case the caravan would leave the factory without it (if it's not required for towing purposes) and then it wouldn't be included in the caravan that he submitted for type approval and consequently wouldn't be included in the MIRO.
Buccaneers come standard with a battery even though it is not required for towing.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Buccaneers come standard with a battery even though it is not required for towing.
That still doesn’t necessarily mean that the battery is included in the MIRO. If Elddis didn’t have a battery fitted in the caravan that they submitted for type approval and only decided to make it standard at some later point in time then it wouldn’t be included in the MIRO.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That still doesn’t necessarily mean that the battery is included in the MIRO. If Elddis didn’t have a battery fitted in the caravan that they submitted for type approval and only decided to make it standard at some later point in time then it wouldn’t be included in the MIRO.
True but in this case it is included in the MIRO for the caravan levelling system to work.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
True but in this case it is included in the MIRO for the caravan levelling system to work.
Although the battery may be included in the MIRO, it doesn't necessarily follow that it must be because of the levelling system. After all, the levelling system is not essential for towing purposes and only that is relevant as far as the regulations and requirements are concerned.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts