Multi-tool

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For decades I have carried a toolbox with me in the car mainly out of habit, however since 2004 as we have always had a 4x4 I have had to carry the tool box inside the car as not boot space. Generally it sit son the floor between the rear seat and the driver's seat.

I am now thinking of replacing it with a decent multi tool. Although I would prefer a Leatherman I came across the Nextool Vanguard which also has a small shifting spanner included. I think the blade length complies with the law? Our son has the Leatherman Wave+ so we are thinking of buying the grandson the Leatherman Rev.

Do you have a suitable multi tool and if so which one is your preference?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a Leatherman but to be honest it has rarely been used either for caravan or car. But it tends to be a part of my cycle tool kit where it can be useful. Otherwise I have a toolkit built up over the years and that’s my first port of call. Surprised that in a large 4x4 there’s not enough boot space.

Reactions: Challenger
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I was gifted something similar about 25 years ago. One day, I may get to use it.

I don’t understand. “No boot space’?

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don’t understand. “No boot space’?

John
Out of sight or so it does not roll around. We carry the dogs in the rear and if I have to break hard unexpectedly, the concern is the toolbox may fly forward. If you have a separate boot no such worries.

I have a Leatherman but to be honest it has rarely been used either for caravan or car. But it tends to be a part of my cycle tool kit where it can be useful. Otherwise I have a toolkit built up over the years and that’s my first port of call. Surprised that in a large 4x4 there’s not enough boot space.
I rarely use the toolbox, but on occasions it has come in handy. If I bought a multi tool for myself the only thing I would need to remove from the tool box is the multi meter. Taking the toolbox out will make the back of the vehicle look slightly tidier and garage untidier. Only concern is that blade is a smidgen over 3" for the Nextool.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have an old leather man, useful for next to nothing. The needle nose pliers are ok and so is the file. The screwdriver blades collapse and the cross screwdriver is a weird size and a Phillips not a Pz. Most of the small items on the car that might need doing are either 10, 12 13 or 14 mm and nearly always need a socket, 1/4 drive not a 1/2 ready to shear a nut or bolt off.
As you keep mentioning you have the emergency services to call out, if you have a problem.
Why not keep all the small tools next to your spare wheel and jack.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have an old leather man, useful for next to nothing. The needle nose pliers are ok and so is the file. The screwdriver blades collapse and the cross screwdriver is a weird size and a Phillips not a Pz. Most of the small items on the car that might need doing are either 10, 12 13 or 14 mm and nearly always need a socket, 1/4 drive not a 1/2 ready to shear a nut or bolt off.
As you keep mentioning you have the emergency services to call out, if you have a problem.
Why not keep all the small tools next to your spare wheel and jack.
Good point about emergency services , but the tools are mainly used on the caravan and at home. I don't want to leave them in the caravan in case I need them at home. Cannot remember when last I used any of the tools on the car.

The big issue with keeping the tools next to the spare wheel is that the spare wheel is under the rear floor and if it is full of luggage I need to unpack everything just to access a screwdriver.

Our 2005 Jeep had plenty of accessible hidey holes as the spare dropped down, but not the newer Jeeps where the rear wheel is under the rear floorpan.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Out of sight or so it does not roll around. We carry the dogs in the rear and if I have to break hard unexpectedly, the concern is the toolbox may fly forward. If you have a separate boot no such worries.

So your dogs (I note you used the plural) who weigh a fair bit I expect won't fly forwards in the event if a collision??
Many people seem to forget that even a 5+ kg of dog travelling at 30 mph (better thought of as 45 ft or 3 car lengths per second) represent a very serious risk to car occupants.
A standard dog guard I.e. one that is not securely bolted to the cars bodywork is simply incapable of preventing even a small dog from bursting through into the passenger compartment an causing severe injury.

I once dealt with a fatal where exactly that happened, everyone in the (estate) car was suitably belted. The pet dog was in the back. A less than 40 mph collision and the dog came forward and broke the neck of a rear seat (adult) passenger. The remaining three occupants were totally uninjured
Dog guards are, in my view, pretty useless. What's needed is a dog crate that's bolted to the bodywork, anything less and you are literally dicing with (someones possible) death.

Toolboxes tend to be slightly less dangerous because they are usually carried hard up against the rear seat back rather than possibly standing up and moving around like dogs have a habit if doing.

Remember it's not your actions when driving you need to worry about, it's all the other idiots out there!

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong, but more than two dogs in the back of a car need to be separated by a crate, and animals travelling in cars need to be restrained by a suitable harness and connected to a secure point.
Unless they are carrying a multi tool, in their pocket

• Haha
Reactions: Jcloughie and Johnb
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
So your dogs (I note you used the plural) who weigh a fair bit I expect won't fly forwards in the event if a collision??
Many people seem to forget that even a 5+ kg of dog travelling at 30 mph (better thought of as 45 ft or 3 car lengths per second) represent a very serious risk to car occupants.
A standard dog guard I.e. one that is not securely bolted to the cars bodywork is simply incapable of preventing even a small dog from bursting through into the passenger compartment an causing severe injury.

I once dealt with a fatal where exactly that happened, everyone in the (estate) car was suitably belted. The pet dog was in the back. A less than 40 mph collision and the dog came forward and broke the neck of a rear seat (adult) passenger. The remaining three occupants were totally uninjured
Dog guards are, in my view, pretty useless. What's needed is a dog crate that's bolted to the bodywork, anything less and you are literally dicing with (someones possible) death.

Toolboxes tend to be slightly less dangerous because they are usually carried hard up against the rear seat back rather than possibly standing up and moving around like dogs have a habit if doing.

Remember it's not your actions when driving you need to worry about, it's all the other idiots out there!
Thank you for highlighting potential issues. Our dogs are Yorkshire terriers and when in the vehicle the back seat is down and their beds are right behind the driver and passengers seats.

In addition, we do have a restraining mat that clips onto the back of the head rests. This should prevent any dog flying forward into the front compartment as the gap between the two seats is closed up.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have tended to put dogs in a crate two at a time if required. The crates have been metal and I ensure that the end door of the crate is on the non traffic side depending if we are in GB or Europe. On long journeys the crate would fit behind the front seats and be tethered to suitable load points or isofix points using a 25mm buckle straps. When in the crate the dogs would have short lightweight leads on so no messing about as they are removed.

With our last two Springers we started to use harnesses and have them on the back seats. What surprised me when I looked at harnesses and the associated restraint is how very minimal is tge information relating to any safety testing. I only found two restraint harnesses that had been subjected to safety impact tests. A German Kleinmetall Allsafe and a US one. The German one had been TUV tested. We bought the Kleinmetall on two counts. One the US one was made very expensive by import and transport costs. Secondly the US one had push fit fastenings wheras the German one used D rings with no fasteners to come undone. Quite important as one of the spaniels had a propensity to Spontaneous Rage, or sometimes called Pre emptive aggression and could lunge on a lead such that she broke collar and harness fastenings. So I had a thing about push fasteners. . Hence my decision to go with Klein metall. What I did not like about the German one was that for a Medium 20 kg hound there were two screw lock carabiners required to go around the seatbelt. Not good if a rapid evacuation was required. So a sharp bladed knife was kept in each rear door pocket.

We do the same with the present hound only now have a restraint that does not need to go around the seat belts as it fits in a seatbelt socket.

Long time since the Jack Russell sat on my wife’s lap as it didn’t like the kids and a Singer Chamois had no boot.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
For 15 years I have used a Victorinox Swiss Tool, not a swiss army knife, but a multi tool.
Not cheap at about £150 upwards but easily the best.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For 15 years I have used a Victorinox Swiss Tool, not a swiss army knife, but a multi tool.
Not cheap at about £150 upwards but easily the best.

I was looking at the Swiss Fieldmaster army knife for grandson as it seems to be quite close to a multi -tool.

Still undecided about which multi-tool to get myself, but have been hinting so maybe Mr Claus will visit and leave me a nice present? :LOL:

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
This reminds me I should "prune back" what I carry in my portable tool bag.
It's one of those things that grows uncontrolled, whereas few bits are likely ever these days to be needed by me at the roadside or campsite. Reflecting on it most times it has been visited it was to help others, not in itself a bad thing.
However, a rational rethink, or repurchase of the very few bits I might need in these circumstances could reduce what I take considerably.

Reactions: Mel and otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This reminds me I should "prune back" what I carry in my portable tool bag.
It's one of those things that grows uncontrolled, whereas few bits are likely ever these days to be needed by me at the roadside or campsite. Reflecting on it most times it has been visited it was to help others, not in itself a bad thing.
However, a rational rethink, or repurchase of the very few bits I might need in these circumstances could reduce what I take considerably.
That is my thinking as carrying too much for the "just in case" scenario" and cannot remember when last I used the spanners and numerous other items. LOL! :LOL: Most common used tools are screwdrivers and allen keys as always tightening up something or other in the caravan. Very occasionally side cutters and long nose pliers.

Come to think of it I have never used the jump leads for any of my cars, never used the tow rope for any of my cars, but they have been used on a number of occasions to help others, however they reside next to the spare wheel so out of sight and mind. The sockets for the torque wrench are also kept there, but the torque wrench is kept under the passenger seat.

Reactions: otherclive

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I really don't subscribe to carrying any of my torque wrenches, other that possibly if going to pick the van up from somewhere I know they removed a wheel.
I don't do that if the cars been serviced or tyres changed. I am very focused on rechecking the wheel bolts/nuts are "tight" a few miles into any travelling post these events. However, that IMO can be quite satisfactorily done by "feel", I am a time served toolmaker albeit, sixty one years since finishing that facet of my life.
Retorque "properly" once home, but "risk it" on the road, got it adequately right now for 64 years.

Certainly IMO that bit of heavy bulky & sensitive gear can be left at home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Certainly IMO that bit of heavy bulky & sensitive gear can be left at home.
I needed to buy the torque wrench when we had a slow puncture puncture on the caravan while on site. I could have called breakdown service, but decided to see if I could still do a wheel change. Slow and a bit painful, but I managed. Biggest issue was lifting the wheel in and out of the car.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I originally had a Leatherman for fishing for taking hooks outta bass and i found it very useful starting caravanning four decades ago this tool proved to have many uses -well worth the money

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts