My First Caravan Holiday - Awful

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I have bought a 2004 Lunar Clubman 470/2
Last week we went on our first holiday to Charmouth in Dorset. I was worried about towing but that turned out to be not too bad although my RH Indicator on the van stopped working so right turns became quite stressful.
We arrived n site safely and got set up without too much trouble and settled back to enjoy our holiday and I started to fiddle with the indicator light. The bulb was OK and I bought a Trailer Tester in local caravan shop which said the van lights were all OK. Joined my car up to another van and all lights worked so I thought that's fixed then.
Got up next day and prepared to go out for the day. loaded up wife and dogs,and guess what, flat battery! I had left an interior light burning all day and flatted the batttery. Luckily had a charger and got it sorted but another day wasted. It gets worse.
Next day car OK and off we went and had a lovely day out, BUT. Now many people have done this and I always think, how can you be so stupid? Well now I know it takes a moments lack of concentration. I put half a tank of petrol into my half full Santa Fe DIESEL. So had to get Green Flag out who delivered us back to campsite and then took the Santa Fe away to do a fuel drain and I had to pick it up next day in Chard, about twenty miles away. Long distance taxi rides are expensive, plus I had lost fifty quids worth of petrol/diesel. Car was OK though although needing another tank of diesel. As you can see holiday was going quite well. It gets worse.
We were due to go home on Monday morning but wife had had enough, plus she wanted to pack up a dry awning and rain was forecast for Monday so we went home Sunday afternnon. Got home safely (wait for it) although RH indicator packed up again. BUT then we found that on the trip home the Remis Rooflight dome had been ripped off by the wind, never saw or heard it go, and we had a 900 x 600 hole in the roof open to the sky. Thank God it hadn't rained. So we had to immediately fashion a cover from wood and plastic to cover the hole in case of rain.
I searched the internet and found a replacement dome with fixings for £225, it has just been delivered whilst I am typing this. Wife doesn't trust me to fit it and a local caravan repair shop say they can fit for around £100.
So next job is to take the van to the repairer. that will have to be in the dry as my wood/plastic cover is not a roadwothy item.
Incidentally i have had a look at the lights again and I think I have fixed the problem which, I think, was corroded contacts.
Great fun this caravanning isn't it?

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Many people make a list of things to check before they set off. It normally includes check all road lights and check all roof lights are closed. Even after years of towing I still follow it as it's so easy to forget to do something.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Jack.
I'm sorry to learn that your first trip was beset with problems, These things can happen to many of us at one time or another so hopefully you've got them all out of the way in one go and your next trip will be enjoyable and relaxing ;)

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Jack, welcome to the Practical Caravan forum and thanks for your post. We're sorry to hear that things didn't go entirely to plan, but we're sure the next trip will be much better.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Put it behind you but learn from the experience. I've been a Caravan Club member for more than 50 years but still before I set off on a journey I open one of my caravan cupboards and run down my 'before moving off' checklist. It saves having to think five minutes into the journey, did I close the roof-light; did I lock the fridge door; did I close the trap on the Thetford; did I secure the jockey wheel, etc, etc.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jack
Welcome to the world of caravanning.
It does get better.Now you know why us old dogs carry loads od tools and spares!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the forum. It will get better, and at least you can look back and laugh about it all. OK maybe not quite yet....but one day.
Mel

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi Jack welcome to the forum.
so your first trip did not go so well, not to worry it can only get worse. :evil: :lol: :lol:
forgot the roof light. and lost it enroute, done that.
left the car lights on yep done that
put wrong fuel in done that also as well as getting pulled over because the trailer lights had stopped working . and had to spend two hours in a layby in the pouring rain trying repair a plug that that had been dragging on the ground for a few miles
plus left the front window open once which of course got the wind under it while towing and slammed it up into the front of the van breaking both the window and front panel.
but hey you get over it, and when so much time has elapsed and so many things have happened that you get paranoid about forgetting something. you do like the rest of us and check everything at least twice.
but by then you will have learned to expect the unexpected and enjoy the experience and relax a bit so making your time in the van more enjoyable. trust me we have all been newbies and had setbacks but it does get better.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Usually we have one problem but yours was simply worse than several of ours put together. Made most of your mistake but not lost a roof light yet.

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Jack, you have done nothing yet. wait until you try to put up an awning the first time. Guarantee that the stress and arguments with the OH will outway anything you have endured so far.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts