My GOK regulator lets propane thru but will not let butane thru. Gas is coming out of both pigtales when turned on. I removed the reg. to test .

Jun 23, 2021
Visit site
I have a spare butane half+ full but several years old, bought a pigtale. Regulator wont let gas thru. OK with propane. Local dealers mystified! Gok reg. is 2017.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The gas regulator is dumb and has no means of telling which type of gas is being used so it will treat each equally.

There must be some other reason why your butane wont flow.

Jun 23, 2021
Visit site
Thanks ProfJohn, agreed, but gas flows freely from the tail pipes when disconnected from the reg. and the appliances operate normally when propane is connected.
When the reg. is disconnected from the caravan feed and screwed onto the butane tail no gas comes thru.
Comment from the local caravan servicing chap, 'bit of a nightmare, seems impossible, sorry can't help'.

The butane is a few years old, could that be a problem?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have never encountered anything like what is being described.
In theory if Propane allows everything to work, then changing to Butane should present no problems.

One possibility is that as the Butane is old (how old roughly?) that it has deteriorated in the cylinder , another question is what temperature was the ambient temp when tested?

It is most certainly baffling, and I suspect that only a change of regulator will solve it, or ditch the Butane as a failure.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The symptoms you describe do not make any logical sense.

Perhaps when you removed the Propane pigtails some debris passed into the regulator and has stopped it from working.

Have you reconnected the Propane to verify it does still work?
Or are you just assuming that as propane worked before so it must be ok?

I can think of no way a regulator could fail to deliver Propane but not Butane except if the ambient temperature is near or below 0C when butane will not vapourise.

You tell us the Butane cylinder is half full but old. By their very nature both Butane and Propane gasses are very stable Hydrocarbons and don't tend to go "stale" or off unless they have become contaminated.

Jun 23, 2021
Visit site
It's baffling. Propane works fine after the reg. was connected to the butane. Temp. is 16 -22' so that's not it. Anyway chaps thanks for your input. I cant help feeling I have overlooked something obvious but what? I might try out the butane with a blowtorch if i still have it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts