My next Outfit New Ford Galaxy 2.0 Duratorq TDI 140 ps PowerShift & Bailey Pegasus 554 ( New Layout ) Caravan

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I want your advice on the outfit above is this a match made in heaven the New Galaxy has a max, towable mass braked 1800kg and the Baily comes in at MTPLM 1492kg will there be amble grunt , Your input would help me to decide ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Beachball,

From the information have been able to gather, the Galaxy model you are considering has a MIRO of about 1731kG, which means the towing ratio of around 86%. The 140 bhp engine is capable of producing 320 Nm (236 lb-ft) and so should provide enough power to get the outfit up and running effectively.

The Galaxy with it rear wheels set well to the back of the vehicle has every chance of being a good tow vehicle, subject to the caravan being correctly loaded.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've been towing a 1500kg Sterling Europa with a 2008 Galaxy 140hp diesel for around 3 years. The Galaxy is probably the best tow car I've had, very stable, plenty of space, plenty of power, and for the size of the thing the fuel consumption isn't bad either at around 45mpg solo and 28-35 mpg towing. I've now put 64k on mine, and other than a blown tail light it's needed nothing other than routine servicing. I've been driving for 35 years and towing for 30, so I'm not easily impressed but I do like the Galaxy a lot.

IMHO I'd need to move to a full sized 4x4 (eg M CLass, Discovery, Q7 etc) to get into a better tow car, but of course the cost profile would be a completely different matter.
From what I recall from the handbook the unladen weight (or whatever this is called nowadays) is a little over 1800kg.

Oct 30, 2006
Visit site
We have the same engine in the S Max, brilliant, we cannot praise it high enough, the best tow car we have had, and great to drive with no van on, slightly smaller and cheaper than the Galaxy, but a much better driving experince, more car like than the van like Galaxy, which i still think is a great car, read and compare 'What car' reviews for any cars your looking at, very helpful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts