National anthem

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We all know God Save the Queen, but does England have its very own national anthem? What English national song have we got? "Jerusalem"... "There'll Always Be an England". Well, that's not saying much, is it? I mean, there'll always be a North Pole, if some dangerous clown doesn't go and melt it.
The same probably applies to Wales, Scotland and NI which in essence are nations on their own otherwise we would not have the 6 nations rugby matches. LOL!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
God save the Queen is our official national anthem.
England is part of the United Kingdom.
Neither England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland are sovereign nations in their own right, so why would any of them have a national anthem?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
God save the Queen is our official national anthem.
England is part of the United Kingdom.
Neither England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland are sovereign nations in their own right, so why would any of them have a national anthem?
Strange? I thought that Scotland & Wales had their own national anthems. So if Scotland breaks away from the UK they would not have a national anthem.
Considering that each of them has their own parliament and governance sytem makes you wonder why they are not regarded as a sovereign nation?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I copied this. Explains everything. There is no Scottish National Anthem but legally if they want one they can have one.
A number of songs are used as Scottish anthems, most notably "Flower of Scotland" and "Scotland the Brave".
In 2004, lawyers for the devolved Scottish Parliament advised that it was within the legal competence of the Scottish Parliament to choose a national anthem for Scotland, countering the suggestion that it would be a matter reserved to the Parliament of the United Kingdom.[1] This ruling prompted some interest in the idea, and a petition to the Scottish Parliament's petitions committee supported by the Scottish Green Party was referred without recommendation to the Scottish Executive, but they decided to take no action, considering the issue not to be a political priority.[2][3] There have been subsequent attempts to re-open the debate on a national anthem for Scotland.[4]

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Strange? I thought that Scotland & Wales had their own national anthems. So if Scotland breaks away from the UK they would not have a national anthem.
Considering that each of them has their own parliament and governance sytem makes you wonder why they are not regarded as a sovereign nation?
England, Scotland and Wales all have songs which are used to represent each country at things like sporting events when competing against each other.
The entire nation is the United Kingdom and our national anthem is God Save the Queen.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Because they are legally part of the United Kingdom. Like the US states have their own version of the two houses but they are part of the United States, Canada and Australia too.
When Czechoslovakia divided into Czech Republic and Slovakia they had to be each recognised as sovereign nations within the UN and each had their own national anthem.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/sovereign-nation

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The United Kingdom (AKA Great Britain) is the Nation comprising of the countries England Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. The official seat of power is by way of the British Parliament, but by way of devolution certain public controls have been assigned to local Assemblies in all of the countries except England. As Parliament sits in England that is deemed to be the English Assembly.

It may be different in other nations around the world, but in the UK the national anthem is a tradition and was used to show allegiance to the King or Queen.

Anthems are normally used as a rallying point for people with a common interest. Basically a Tribal Call.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The United Kingdom (AKA Great Britain) is the Nation comprising of the countries England Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. The official seat of power is by way of the British Parliament, but by way of devolution certain public controls have been assigned to local Assemblies in all of the countries except England. As Parliament sits in England that is deemed to be the English Assembly.

It may be different in other nations around the world, but in the UK the national anthem is a tradition and was used to show allegiance to the King or Queen.

Anthems are normally used as a rallying point for people with a common interest. Basically a Tribal Call.
Not quite Prof.
Great Britain is Scotland England and Wales
United Kingdom as above plus Northern Ireland
but British Isles we hear sometimes as above plus Ireland

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Strictly speaking the correct title is the UnIted Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Bloomin intellitext again. I got caught out sending a message today about a nice “shirt”. Needless to say lack of proof reading was quite apparent to my daughter when she read it.

Reactions: Parksy
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I appreciate and honour the National Anthem for the United Kingdom, but just to add in a thought or two.
Do you think it would be nice if each country within the UK should have some sort of "unofficial anthem"!
This could then be sung when there are inter-country matches like England vs Wales, Wales vs Scotland etc or even when England play against another country. The Lions represent people from all across the UK and therefore they would sing our National Anthem before a match.
Just musing etc. :D

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Scotland does not have a National Anthem. Scotland the Brave was generally used at one time but this has now been largely replaced by Flower of Scotland, which is a rousing tune, with an anti English, theme played before sporting matches. It does work better at setting the atmosphere, but possibly needs to be worded differently to be a proper anthem.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I appreciate and honour the National Anthem for the United Kingdom, but just to add in a thought or two.
Do you think it would be nice if each country within the UK should have some sort of "unofficial anthem"!
This could then be sung when there are inter-country matches like England vs Wales, Wales vs Scotland etc or even when England play against another country. The Lions represent people from all across the UK and therefore they would sing our National Anthem before a match.
Just musing etc. :D
As I explained earlier, each home nation does indeed have songs which are used to represent England, Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland in sporting events when the home nations form opposing teams individually.
Any rousing or uplifting song used to represent a specific body or tribe can be described as an 'anthem', even some hymns sung by choirs are anthems.
This is one of the paradoxes of life in the UK.
We are all British until we become English, Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Rugby Union matches involving Ireland are interesting in that for home games two anthems are sung. The Soldiers Song is the Irish national anthem but to recognise that the Irish team has players from both the Republic and Northern Ireland Ireland’s Call is also sung. The latter is sung at away games, as today at Twickenham. I see it as a really positive demonstration of how far the island of Ireland has come.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parksy
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My, English , Mother in law(from Heburn ) came to Monimusk, North of Aberdeen, to visit one Hogmanay, in the Grant Arms having a great time, afterwards she said I really like that song "Oh Flower of Scotland. "
I am a proud Scot, and also proud to be British. IMG_20180903_224239-1.jpg

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts