Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Currently at the show at the NEC and just got an email telling me I have won on the lottery… brace yourselves while I figure out what to spend my winnings on… all £1.45 of it.

Question for you though
Do any of you have portable ac units in your caravans and if so how do you rate them

Just priced up a Truma unit for the roof…. Not cheap and then we would have to see if the protec cover we have will still fit over the top of the ac unit.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Below is what I posted a while back on another forum about Cool my Camper portable air con

Posted June 11
I have a "Cool My Camper" portable aircon. Bought of ebay and re-gassed for £350 all in. Its not the most efficient air con unit I have come across, but it works. Last year we were in the Loire when it was 35-38⁰ It cooled the inside down a reasonable amount, but more importantly it lowered the humidity, so it was much more comfortable.
A major advantage to my mind is that it isn't a permanent fixture so can be (is) carried in my car, so it doesn't impact on the caravans payload. (It weighs around 26kg, so much less than a roof mounted unit)

I did have a MH with roof mounted air con, it certainly wasn't that quiet in use, and there was indeed a very noticable "clunk" when the compressor kicked in.

I think air con in a caravan is a bit like heated seats in a car. You don't think you need it until you have experienced it.

My car has cooled front seats "What a pointless extra" I thought. This last couple of weeks in Spain has certainly altered my opinion on that score, they are just sublime, and have been added to my (now rather extensive
:rolleyes:
) list of "Must haves" in my next car

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Currently at the show at the NEC and just got an email telling me I have won on the lottery… brace yourselves while I figure out what to spend my winnings on… all £1.45 of it.

Question for you though
Do any of you have portable ac units in your caravans and if so how do you rate them

Just priced up a Truma unit for the roof…. Not cheap and then we would have to see if the protec cover we have will still fit over the top of the ac unit.
My next door neighbour during the 1980’s said to me that if he won the pools he would pay off my mortgage. Shortly after he won £10.

For years I kept telling him that a promise is a promise. But he never paid up.

John

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
My next door neighbour during the 1980’s said to me that if he won the pools he would pay off my mortgage. Shortly after he won £10.

For years I kept telling him that a promise is a promise. But he never paid up.

John
I had forgotten about “ doing the pools”. Now I remember being allowed to carefully put the crosses on my parents pools form. They never won either. Is the pools still a thing?
mel

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I had forgotten about “ doing the pools”. Now I remember being allowed to carefully put the crosses on my parents pools form. They never won either. Is the pools still a thing?
mel
It should be, it lends itself to computing and the internet.

As an apprentice, I worked inside Littlewoods. A new law had come out to say they had to keep coupons for 3 years. So they needed a strong room. We converted an existing room into a reinforced and fireproof room. For a young man, it was intimidating and frightening. Having to be among many hundreds of teenage girls.

The building still exists but is sadly worse for wear, But it is a listed Art Deco building. It can be seen going into Liverpool from the M62. (Also used in the war to build floors for the Halifax).

1697918780856.jpeg

A bit later we built a computer room for Vernons. We did not have to go through the checking rooms, but the computers had to be highly air conditioned with big tape machines spinning. A sign of those times.

John

Reactions: Mel
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

Question for you though

The thread is diverting, for 5 years we travelled to France for my tax exemption from the UK. Every 12 weeks for 4 weeks. High temps of 35 c. . Were only for a month. Windows open and a fan, If you don't like high temps , don't go there. Never had a problem with high temps in the UK. I really think an AC unit in a caravan in the UK is a waste of money.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Hutch, there are only very few occasions in the past when AC in caravan in the UK would have been a viable solution over a couple of well placed fans or opened windows.

It could be different if your going abroad, but as has been extensively discussed previously, don't expect car type levels of cooling inside a caravan when your limited to only a couple of kW power to drive the system.

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Thanks all,
Won’t be buying a unit mounted on the caravan but will consider other options.
Ironically the most expensive thing we bought at the show was… £50 for a pair of Skecher trainers for management.

Steve

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts