Need to remove Thetford fridge, do I need to replace wall vent seal?

Aug 27, 2020
Visit site
Lexar Lunar 2012, I need to replace my kitchen taps (split in the winter, lesson learnt there to open the taps after draining!) and to do so need to remove the Thetford fridge.

I recall reading once that in doing so I'd need to replace the vent seal(?) but can't now find where I read that. Anyone can confirm this is indeed the case? If so can anyone point me to the part (assuming its standard that is, I dont have my fridge model to hand as van in storage).

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Are you sure you need to remove the fridge? Often access can be gained through the top vent. The external vents are not sealed.

Removal is similar to this video. Other YouTube videos are available, but it is simple.

If the fridge has to be removed it is screwed around the front frame. But the gas pipe needs disconnecting, so many will warn you to get a gas certified technician to do that. Next, the fridge should be room sealed. So that droughts or fumes cannot enter the van.

John

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Agree with John. Exactly how I replaced my tap through the top vent. As said the vents are not sealed. DO NOT apply mastic / sealant when refitting. Removing the pipes from the taps is hard . I cut mine . Then on fitting new tap ,warmed the pipes and used some washing up liquid to help.

Aug 27, 2020
Visit site
Thanks both. I'd love it if i didnt need to remove the fridge of course, but the fridge is directly under the sink and it seems i cant access the fixings if i dont remove the fridge first?

"the fridge should be room sealed" - what is this/ how is this done?

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Some of the lunar caravans you can’t get to the connectors without removing the fridge…..or at least moving the fridge forward.

If you move the fridge 1/2” or a yard you need to test for gas leaks and ideally a CO room test after refitting/pushing back the fridge to it’s normal position.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My fridge sits exactly under the sink. The taps are at the sink rear. If yours is the same you can do it through the vent.
“Room sealed” mine is achieved with lots of sponges!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"the fridge should be room sealed" - what is this/ how is this done?
A "Room seal" is a term used to describe the way some gas appliances segregate the gas burning tracts from the human living space. This means there should be no practical way the air or gas used to in the burner or thr flue products should be able to communicate with the living space inside the caravan.

In the case of a fridge its usually achieved by sealing the gap between the fridge and the furniture its fitted in.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Prof,
Not one of my caravan fridges has ever been 100% airtight sealed from the interior. An early Elddis Avante was so breezy through the fridge I applied masking tape as a temporary fix!
The copious amount of loose sponge stops the draughts on my current unit but it is certainly not hermetically sealed.
The gas burner is totally enclosed and its exhaust runs via a tight flue venting to the exterior of the caravan. I suppose there is a very remote chance some of the combustion materials could re enter via the vents ? But so could car exhaust fumes etc.

Do you say it must be 100% sealed? I wonder what the caravan makers will say? They can’t even make a caravan water proof yet😉

Reactions: RogerL
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My Bailey Senator Arizona had a pull out piece of worktop above the fridge. The wind penetrated through this. So a long way from being room sealed. I managed to create my own seal. Regulations may have changed since then.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts