Never rains, it pours

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I am still waiting for confirmation that the seller got his item back and that was suppose be next day delivery with Royal Mail and i have received no email so far .

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Many years ago we wanted to replace our rear back door. In our area every month we get a small local booklet that has parish news and loads of adverts for local tradesmen.

We contacted the 2 - 3 advertising and eventually one did pitch up. The other two never arrived although they said they would there. The one that did pitch up did not even have any pictures of any doors and told us to go to B&Q pick a door and he would fit it. We ordered the door from B&Q, but then trying to get him to come and fit it was impossible. We returned the door to B&Q and got a full refund!
We had the same issue with the local trades people for grass cutting, replacing a tap and laying a concrete slab. Not sure why they spend money advertising, but then ignore customers?

Such a common story, a sad situation. I have a friend who has his own very successful business landscaping. He is known well locally as being honest and reliable. I had a chat with him about how he works. He said he knows he is not the cheapest, but his policy is to never let anyone down.

Some time ago another friend had prepared the base for concreting for his motorhome. Concrete ordered for the afternoon so they went shopping in the morning. The concrete arrived early. The first friend was going past and knew the driver. They worked out what had gone wrong and decided to lay the concrete. By the way, first friend did not know second friend. First friend came home expecting some hard work to find a professionally laid base. That’s a good way to build a reputation.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This goes from bad to worse. I got two emails from the courier confirming delivery tomorrow. No issue so we went to town.
On our return there was a note pushed through our letter box stating that there was a parcel in the outside cupboard. On opening the cupboard there is the laptop in all its glory.
We do not have a fence or a gate and any one passing by can access the outside cupboard i.e. other couriers etc and if they had helped themselves we would not be any wiser. Totally unbelievable!
Anyway in view of all this I have decided that perhaps the best course of action is to return the laptop as it is unopened and find another supplier.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
This goes from bad to worse. I got two emails from the courier confirming delivery tomorrow. No issue so we went to town.
On our return there was a note pushed through our letter box stating that there was a parcel in the outside cupboard. On opening the cupboard there is the laptop in all its glory.
We do not have a fence or a gate and any one passing by can access the outside cupboard i.e. other couriers etc and if they had helped themselves we would not be any wiser. Totally unbelievable!
Anyway in view of all this I have decided that perhaps the best course of action is to return the laptop as it is unopened and find another supplier.

The problems you have encountered seem to me to be wholly down to the curriers. If the laptop still fits your spec and price, would sending it back serve any purpose?

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why? - Just because it was later than you would have liked, has not changed the specification of the laptop. Its the one you chose, and you do at least have it now. Why complicate the issue further by trying to send it back. Knowing your luck , the carrier will loose it or it will get broken and the you'll not be able to prove it was damaged in transit, and you'll end up having to pay for it anyway.

Dell products are not inherently faulty, they will do what they say, its just you can often get a better specification for the same or possibly less money elsewhere. Many people are more than happy with their products, Dell let them selves down with not so good after sales and technical support, but you might not need them, and other companies might be just as poor.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why? - Just because it was later than you would have liked, has not changed the specification of the laptop. Its the one you chose, and you do at least have it now. Why complicate the issue further by trying to send it back. Knowing your luck , the carrier will loose it or it will get broken and the you'll not be able to prove it was damaged in transit, and you'll end up having to pay for it anyway.

Dell products are not inherently faulty, they will do what they say, its just you can often get a better specification for the same or possibly less money elsewhere. Many people are more than happy with their products, Dell let them selves down with not so good after sales and technical support, but you might not need them, and other companies might be just as poor.

Your last paragraph and last sentence sum up my reservations quite well. So far my experience of purchasing from Dell has not been pleasant. However at this point it is only a "perhaps" I will send it back because as John says it seems that the couriers are also to blame for our woes.
Reading on here does not exactly fill me with confidence. https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.dell.co.uk

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Your last paragraph and last sentence sum up my reservations quite well. So far my experience of purchasing from Dell has not been pleasant. However at this point it is only a "perhaps" I will send it back because as John says it seems that the couriers are also to blame for our woes.
Reading on here does not exactly fill me with confidence. https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.dell.co.uk
Be wary about trust pilot and indeed any website where people offer opinions about products and services. People are far more likely to complain when things don't meet expectations. People rarely comment when thing work just fine(after all why should you get exited about something that goes right. that is what should be normal expectation)?, and occasionally some people might comment when the product or service exceeds expectations - consequently the www will have a definite negative bias about such things.

To get fairer balance of things you need to try and find out the market share the product has, and compare the results on a normalised ratio against other manufacturers or service providers. For example, you are bound to see more complaints about Fords, compared to Bentley's

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The problems you have encountered seem to me to be wholly down to the curriers. If the laptop still fits your spec and price, would sending it back serve any purpose?

John
I guess that as it’s not damaged or that it meets its description then you will have to pay return costs.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I guess that as it’s not damaged or that it meets its description then you will have to pay return costs.
I relented a and opened up the box and switched on the unit. First thing I noticed is that the keyboard lights up and one cannot see the identifying letter on each key. Once you switch off the unit you can see the keys. Not sure if the backlit keyboard can be switched off? If it can't then it is useless to me as cannot letters see to type?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Nope no manual and had to search Online. It is a setting in the BIOS. Now I can see the keyboard.

It’s not easy these days when all user info comes installed within the system. Also even if the supplier support site has information and a Q&A section it presupposes that you can even frame the question such that you get an answer. When we bought our HP Windows laptop ( and MAC) I bought a hard copy of the Dummies series of books. For the Windows system there were two options. Windows for Dummies and Windows for seniors. What I like about the hard copy is that you can pick it up and read anytime anywhere. As you are browsing through it you then find come in handy information and hints. Lastly the books had clear notes pages so things that you might do more regularly you can note down. On my MAC when I first had it I couldn’t remember how to take a screen shot as I didn’t need to do it very often. So that got noted down in the Dummies book.

Just a thought.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Nope no manual and had to search Online. It is a setting in the BIOS. Now I can see the keyboard.

On some Dell machines the Fn key in conjunction with the Left/Right Arrow can alter the keyboard backlight. Of there may be another Fn key on the top row of the keyboard that can do this.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our last computer was a Dell and we had it for about ten years without the slightest problem although it was specked for us by my son in law who is an expert on the subject. Our new HP came from Currys more because we could get it in store next day and they are just up the road from us than anything else and despite what some people say about them we did not have any problems with them. We had one slight problem with the installation and rang their helpline who sorted it without any problem. Our only other problem when we used them was a CD player which had the wrong information on the web site and did not work for us. They swapped it without question for one suitable so we have no complaints with them.
Possibly the best alternative is John Lewis, who we have used and who have sorted problems for us without any fuss, not just electrical.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
New laptops do not come with a CD/DVD drive which creates a problem as my MS Office 2007 is on disc. Not sure if it is possible perhaps transfer contents of disc to a USB drive and then try and load or if there is some other method?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
New laptops do not come with a CD/DVD drive which creates a problem as my MS Office 2007 is on disc. Not sure if it is possible perhaps transfer contents of disc to a USB drive and then try and load or if there is some other method?

Yes, you can do this. I have a Windows tablet with no CD/DVD and this is how I got MSO 2007 onto it. These days I have Office 365 on it instead.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site

If you search for "External Optical Drives" you'll find loads varying in price from around a tenner to three times that much. Just plug into a USB and you're sorted.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not sure how this can be done if there's no CD/DVD drive to mount the CD and copy from?
I still have my old laptop so no issue there. However on the new laptop when clicking of File Explorer I cannot see the tree like I can on my current laptop which also has WIN 10.
By "tree" I am referring to seeing Quick Access, One Drive, This PC, Local Disc C:\ etc so that I can move files from one folder to another folder. All I get is a box that does not display the properties.
Hopefully my garbling can be understood as not very techie with references?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I still
have my old laptop so no issue there. However on the new laptop when clicking of File Explorer I cannot see the tree like I can on my current laptop which also has WIN 10.
By "tree" I am referring to seeing Quick Access, One Drive, This PC, Local Disc C:\ etc so that I can move files from one folder to another folder. All I get is a box that does not display the properties.
Hopefully my garbling can be understood as not very techie with references?
See this Microsoft link

How to view my files tree in window
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/how-to-display-entire-tree-in-windows-10-file/5cb5b28c-ffe9-47f4-b312-41f5c7a17955#:~:text=1%20Open%20File%20Explorer.%202%20Click%20View%20from,4.2%20Show%20hidden%20files%2C%20folders%2C%20or%20drives.%20

Windows for Dummies is an excellent guide book and it’s far more comprehensive than its title would lead you to believe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts