New and eager to go touring

Aug 25, 2024
Visit site
Hi all! Newbie to caravanning (as an adult, spent many holidays as a kid in one) - Here to research the do's and don'ts of caravan hunting, what to look out for and general information on vans and awnings. Been a class one driver for 18 years so towing is no issue. Got a cracking camping box trailer and gear but sadly having to sell up and get a caravan due to the wife's health and only me being able to lift and shift the stuff. Not that I mind after seeing other folks turn up in the rain, position the van and pop the kettle on all sorted :LOL:

Reactions: Jennet and volts
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum. My advice would be to look in PC where there are pages showing caravan layouts. See which ones may be of interest. Two berth, or any kids/grandkids. What’s your tow vehicle as that will have a max towing limit. What budget? Visit some dealers to get a feel for the makes and models within your limits. No rush as coming into Autumn dealers will be keen to sell. Try not to buy from anywhere long distance as caravan warranty generally requires return to the supplying dealership. They aren’t like cars where any dealership will do warranty work.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

Reactions: Stu C
Aug 25, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for the welcomes :) - Indeed any forum/facebook group is full of the problems, which I find very handy as I'll know what to keep an eye out for. Being on Land Rover pages for a number of years this was definitely the case! As for my search, I have a 2019 1.6 Diesel Seat Ateca, and MLTW weight, doing the maths comfortable towing is 1200kgs, but there is only the two of us, so a small lightweight caravan is more then likely going to be the best choice.

At the moment, budget of about £10k, so sadly the Swift Sprite Compact is out unless I win a few grand on the lottery soon! - But Lunar Ariva and Bailey Orion are on the cards so far and a nice 2.1m wide, as I don't want nothing way too big as my dad will borrow it too and his drive is a little on the tight side :rolleyes:

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Sounds like it's from a dealer? So you SHOULD get a decent hand over where everything is explained in detail.
Video ALL of the handover, because you WILL forget something so can refer back to the video.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to Caravanning and to the forum. Loads of helpful folks on here, so ask questions. There are lots of good videos on you tube as well. Check out Trudgians for some useful basics
Mel

Aug 25, 2024
Visit site
Sounds like it's from a dealer? So you SHOULD get a decent hand over where everything is explained in detail.
Video ALL of the handover, because you WILL forget something so can refer back to the video.

It is yes, I wanted peace of mind from a reputable place. The sales guy said they do a thorough hand over, even including a free night in a camp site a short journey away to settle in and see if any problems :)

It is also wise to read the owner's manual if you do not do a video. Simpler and quicker with answers. (y) :D

Mhm it's making me googly eyed keep referring back to it with different questions :LOL:

Hi Stu Welcome to forum enjoy your caravan and looks like a great match for your car enjoy

Thank you! - Yes, just under the max recommended weight 85% thingy, but a remap is on the cards anyway for the car for extra torque and horses!

Welcome to Caravanning and to the forum. Loads of helpful folks on here, so ask questions. There are lots of good videos on you tube as well. Check out Trudgians for some useful basics
Mel

Cheers! - I will go check them out thank you muchly :)

Reactions: Mel
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It is yes, I wanted peace of mind from a reputable place. The sales guy said they do a thorough hand over, even including a free night in a camp site a short journey away to settle in and see if any problems :)

Mhm it's making me googly eyed keep referring back to it with different questions :LOL:

Thank you! - Yes, just under the max recommended weight 85% thingy, but a remap is on the cards anyway for the car for extra torque and horses!

Why a remap on that engine when only hauling 1200 kg plus load in the car. I had an Early Mondeo TDi with 90 bhp towing a heavier caravan without any problems driving it. Not a rocket ship, but no sluggard either.

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

I use to have a Seat Altea XL 1.6 TDI DSG never had any problems so i don"t think you need a remap it should be fine .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Who thinks up these weird names? Mitsubishi were worse “Pajero”.😜😜
That was a mistake in some areas of the world such as North America, Spain and Spanish speaking South America it was a derogatory term.

Driven with pride in Britain.

SDC11882.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2024
Visit site
Heh I mean I'll give it a try with it standard first but for a couple hundred quid and a 30bhp jump, its something i've wanted to do for a while anyway....so an excuse to tell the wife ;) - Jumping from a mustang powered MG into the Seat makes it feel like I want some extra oomph and nippy ness :LOL:

HOW ever, it is good to know that the Mondeo was alright and the Altea too :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
St
Heh I mean I'll give it a try with it standard first but for a couple hundred quid and a 30bhp jump, its something i've wanted to do for a while anyway....so an excuse to tell the wife ;) - Jumping from a mustang powered MG into the Seat makes it feel like I want some extra oomph and nippy ness :LOL:

HOW ever, it is good to know that the Mondeo was alright and the Altea too :)
Stu
If you go for a remap you may need to tell your motor insurers. I’d have a chat with them before you spend your money

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts