New Bailey Senator on board water pumps

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
I have just been out in my new Louisiana which is supposed to have the state of the art all singing dancing on board water pump (according to Bailey) - has anyone else got a new Series 5 Senator? and if so what do you think about the new water system?

Our on board tank and water pump are located underneath the front bed slats, as are the 3 levers which need to be turned at different combinations depending on whether or not you want to fill the on board tank, use the on board tank or just use the aquaroll. The old system involved flicking a switch on the wall. The new system involves pulling up the front cushion, wriggling your hand through the slats, dropping the locker door adjacent to look at the drawing showing the configuration to make sure you've got the handles facing the right way for the operation you wish to carry out, then, pressing the switch on the wall by the door. At this point the on board (pneumatic drill) starts to shudder and vibrate as it does when any tap is turned on.

I didn't notice any adverse comments about this new state of the art system in either the Practical Caravan or Caravan Club magazine reviews on the new Series 5 Senators, so perhaps I'm the only one with a system that even our best friend also a seasoned caravanner and incidentally a qualified plumber can't fathom as being an "upgrade".

I'd really like to hear from anyone else, if yours is not like mine in particular I would like to hear from you because I may have got one that was a prototype designed and installed by a plonker!!

Sian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sian, Sorry to hear about the problems with the water system. I cannot comment on what the problem might be but I am however interested as I am awaiting delivery of a Senator myself. Is it worth contacting your dealer to ensure the system is working correctly, please keep us informed of any developments. Richard

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We too are awaiting delivery of A Bailey Senator Oklahoma probably in November

The pump should not be very noisy although the Shureflow pump I have installed in our present van does make more noise than an external pump.

I placed a large thick piece of foam under the pump so that it floated on it and wasn't fixed firmly to the floor so that it wouldn't amplify noise and vibration.

There was some criticism of Bailey in this months CC mag as they would not make a slight modification.

I too found this out this week as I rang them to see if a full size Remis roof light could be fitted over the fixed bed either during manufacture or later.They answered no and no.The roof is being vaunted as very strong yet they say it is not strong enough to enlarge the hole to accommodate the bigger roof light.

It seems to me that they don't want to vary from the norm or maybe just can't be bothered

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
sian.

We looked at the new senators, never got round to asking about the inboard tanks, tried to erect the new foldaway table

It took two of us in the end to erect it, very hard to move as the top kept trying to collapse upon itself , when finally positioned , found it very hard squeese under to sit.

Some sliding doors appeared to be held together with duct tape.

Not very impressed at all ,Going to look at Hymers now.

Roy.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
thanks, but just to confirm, I have been back to the retailer since and they filled up another senator waiting for collection for me to hear the pump on this one, and it was exactly the same, so be warned. I have also e mailed Bailey to express my dissatisfaction at the cumbersome design but they claim it is an improvement!! I am disappointed that these were not picked up in the both CC PC and caravan magazine reviews. It makes me wonder sometimes if the new models are truly road tested.

I have tried to put foam under the pump but it is impossible to get at because of the bed slats. I just hope that all new senator owners who are not satisfied will put pressure on their own retailers and Baileys for a modification which could be installed perhaps during the first service as I'd be more than willing to wait to get a better system installed (or a reversion to the old "worst"??!! system.

Ps - any other comments, please keep me posted

Thanks

Sian

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
We are also awaiting delivery of a new Senator, we should take delivery in a couple of weeks time - will check this out when we get it - thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Went back to dealers today to ask about water pump noise and examine table/gaffa tape on sliding doors.

The van in the showroom's pump was quite acceptable from a noise point of view but it was agreed by the salesman that some had been too noisy.Later models are to include padding between the pump and floor.Could only find 2 levers but three diagrams.

The table was erected after working out how to get the legs down and seemed to be about the same height as the end fold out one and wider that most caravan tables I have seen.Will have no probs with legs next time.We hardly ever use the big one anyway.

No gaffa tape was found on sliding doors but there was a bit holding the folded table shut for transit from the factory.

All in all very satisfied with our decision and will not be looking at Hymers.

Its all the luck of the draw as we looked at another Senator Oklahoma at another dealer and the finish was far inferior.The fitter seemed out of sandpaper on that day !!Hope thay have a good supply in for November build !!

Jul 31, 2005
Visit site
We have a series 5 Carolina & I have to say I think the new system is a backward step in some ways.

We had a y2k Montana before, & it was a case of flicking a switch for inboard / outboard pumps. Having said that, water pressure & flow rate is excellent on the Carolina system.

I also have to agree with Roy about the table, It`s very heavy & awkward to unfold.

Bob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Went back to dealers today to ask about water pump noise and examine table/gaffa tape on sliding doors.

The van in the showroom's pump was quite acceptable from a noise point of view but it was agreed by the salesman that some had been too noisy.Later models are to include padding between the pump and floor.Could only find 2 levers but three diagrams.

The table was erected after working out how to get the legs down and seemed to be about the same height as the end fold out one and wider that most caravan tables I have seen.Will have no probs with legs next time.We hardly ever use the big one anyway.

No gaffa tape was found on sliding doors but there was a bit holding the folded table shut for transit from the factory.

All in all very satisfied with our decision and will not be looking at Hymers.

Its all the luck of the draw as we looked at another Senator Oklahoma at another dealer and the finish was far inferior.The fitter seemed out of sandpaper on that day !!Hope thay have a good supply in for November build !!
My Oklahoma also due in November, do you think we should both send some sandpaper down to Bailey mid October!!!!! Richard

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a series 5 Carolina & I have to say I think the new system is a backward step in some ways.

We had a y2k Montana before, & it was a case of flicking a switch for inboard / outboard pumps. Having said that, water pressure & flow rate is excellent on the Carolina system.

I also have to agree with Roy about the table, It`s very heavy & awkward to unfold.

Bob
I found at second attempt that if you open the table on the long seat facing the door so that the top is facing the window and unfold the legs so that you then tip the table downwards to let the legs touch the floor where you want it.

BUT if you try to lift from one end and push the table away from you then if is very awkward as it tries to fold in the middle.

May increase payload by leaving it at home !!

This is about water pumps really not tables

Perhaaps we could excuse the digression if we think of water tables

But then again....

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
With regard to Bailey using levers to control the flow of water it is a case of Bailey doing things on the cheap. I have a 2004 Senator Wyoming and the water system works fine. You just flick a switch on the wall to change from inboard to aquaroll. To have a so called "top of the range" van were you have to dismantle the bunk to change from inboard to aquaroll is cheap and nasty.I would suggest to anyone with this system to cotact Bailey and complain loudly. Senators may be cheaper to buy than other makes but it certainly shows in many ways. I am on my third Senator and hoped the 5 series would be a big improvement,but sadly no. Do caravan testers actually test the caravans? It would seem not.

HAMER

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Hamer it does sound as though they've made a backward step .

On my present van I use a system that I have had on the last few vans.

The existing submersible pump is used the fill an onboard tank and this can be switched on from inside or outside the caravan when I am prompted by the low level warning light.

I think that a modification will be early on the agenda

Yippee more holes to drill in the new van !!

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Hi, now come to think about this, I asked hubby, and you are correct, there is a switch but no light!!! This is extremely useful in the dark, and probably state of the art!! I'll have to get back to the dealer about it, I'll let you know the outcome. Also be forewarned, the front locker does not open fully so be prepared to be hunched up when you're in there.

Sian

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
yes we had a wyoming also, which I only bought last November but decided to change it for the new "state of the art" Louisiana. Don't get me wrong, I am extremely pleased with the layout of the caravan, the bed is comfy etc, but with regards to the water system I really hope that Bailey will take on board people's complaints and also the road testers of all three new models who wrote the reviews for caravan club, practical caravan and caravan magazines.

Any more comment's? Let me know.

Sian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Sian I rather thought that the switch panel was a left over from the previous model which had light on the drawbar fairing.

Now I have a spare switch to operate the improved external tank filling submersible pump/mod no 1

Can't wait for Novenber

Must get the tools sharpened (but a new axe ? perhaps not)

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
Like many of you I have a series 5 vermont on order, I have been told that its stuck at the factory because of the annual shut down. As regards the locker light it is there it is situated in the front of the bottom of the locker in front of the offside gas bottle it didn't appear to be very bright to me so unfortunatly you dont have a spare switch. Very interested to read about the pumps. If enough of us complain then they might do something about it, but don't hold your breath.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Colin ,I've had a good look and couldn't see the light.

Now why does that sound familiar.

I could still use the switch as it wouldn't matter if the Toc H lamp was on at the same time.(suitable relay inserted to take the load etc)

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
Like many of you I have a series 5 vermont on order, I have been told that its stuck at the factory because of the annual shut down. As regards the locker light it is there it is situated in the front of the bottom of the locker in front of the offside gas bottle it didn't appear to be very bright to me so unfortunatly you dont have a spare switch. Very interested to read about the pumps. If enough of us complain then they might do something about it, but don't hold your breath.
Our new Series 5 Senator Vermont is held up because of Bailey's annual holiday shut down too...it should, hopefully be delivered the week of their return.

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
Our new Series 5 Senator Vermont is held up because of Bailey's annual holiday shut down too...it should, hopefully be delivered the week of their return.
Nice to hear I'm not the only going for the smallest van. I'm getting mine from Reads in Blackburn. They've offered to let me have my old van back but as it had a motor mover on it and they've taken it off to go on the new van I'm stuck. Am having very serious withdrawal pains at the moment. be interested to echange notes once we are both mobile.

Colin

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Well, I'm going out again on Friday and this time I will be going over the whole thing with a magnifying glass. When I get back I do intend to write a letter to all three magazines with their all singing dancing quotes such as "improved locker access" cc mag, etc, and I am also going to write directly to the managing director of Bailey's to see if I get a better response than that received from the customer service lady who merely responded that everything was "state of the art" and "superior". I can't wait till November to find out what you all really think about the fidgeting you'll have to do under the bunk. I use my on board tank a lot as I go away during the winter and it can't freeze up like the outside one, so for me this new innovation is a particular nuisance.

If I find the light I'll let you know where its hidden!!!

Good Luck

Sian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Seems Bailey are taking retrosteps in their design - one piece windows for the Ranger range - inboard tanks/pumps - who wants these things anyhow - its just what I dont want in a caravan especially a new one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The dealership i work for has sold loads of new Senators with the Smartflo pumps fitted and have had a few complaints about them being noisy strangly enough Whale say that it's probably "the worlds quietest RV pump"...!!!! Saw a van yesterday that had the pump wrapped in insulation.

Mike.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts