New car colours

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’ve noticed lately some hideous colours on new cars. My opinion.
Lime green
Battleship primer grey
Mustard
Black Matt finish, yuk.
Sickly orange.

Hardly any decent reds, blues or greens, plenty of black and white
And no I am not colour blind😉Have I missed something?

May 15, 2023
Visit site
The first time I saw a new vehicle in a matt finish, I thought they had missed the clearcoat! as that's exactly what a car in base colour looks like.
Some of todays colours are similar to colours from 70's vehicles.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I see fewer matt coloured cars now than a couple of years ago, I think it was a fad. But I don't like them. They seemed to be on premium cars.

Regards new colours. I agree with Dusty to an extent. but there are also some really nice colours available as well. My granddaughter has just bought a new 2008 in gold with a slight sparkle. Really nice, and suits a 26 year old girl. But would not be for me.

John

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Some colours ie pink or lime green are going to affect the future saleability of some cars
I really dislike the popular battleship grey, to me it looks like it was put on by Dulux with a sweeping brush

Reactions: Challenger
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I find the number of cars in various shades of grey very depressing - when I was looking seriously at new cars in 2015 I did note that Range Rover had a choice of 5 different shades of grey !!!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I’ve noticed lately some hideous colours on new cars. My opinion.
Lime green
Battleship primer grey
Mustard
Black Matt finish, yuk.
Sickly orange.

Hardly any decent reds, blues or greens, plenty of black and white
And no I am not colour blind😉Have I missed something?

Those colours aren’t new. The Ford Cortina that my dad bought in 1963 was lime green and the Jensen Healey that I bought in 1974 was mustard.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Bet you wish that you still had that Jensen?

Yes, I often look back and ask myself why I sold it, but at least I sold it after three years at the same price that paid for it when I bought it new. On top of that, of those three years, it was only taxed for the last 18 months after I took up residence in Germany. Before that it was running on tax free export plates.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, I often look back and ask myself why I sold it, but at least I sold it after three years at the same price that paid for it when I bought it new. On top of that, of those three years, it was only taxed for the last 18 months after I took up residence in Germany. Before that it was running on tax free export plates so it was cheap motoring.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Yes, I often look back and ask myself why I sold it, but at least I sold it after three years at the same price that paid for it when I bought it new. On top of that, of those three years, it was only taxed for the last 18 months after I took up residence in Germany. Before that it was running on tax free export plates.
In the 70‘s friend of mine was a car salesman. He took out a Jensen they had for sale and a mini pulled up next to him at the lights, revving. On green, the mini took off. the Jensen stood still. He then realised that the wheels were spinning. Embarrassing.

John

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
When I was a kid, my Dad had an old Wolseley 16/60 in two tone (navy blue over grey) - I liked the two tone colour scheme.- In the 80's / 90's it started to become popular to decorate houses with a dark colour below a dado rail and light colour above, would have liked to see this on cars again.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
When I was a kid, my Dad had an old Wolseley 16/60 in two tone (navy blue over grey) - I liked the two tone colour scheme.- In the 80's / 90's it started to become popular to decorate houses with a dark colour below a dado rail and light colour above, would have liked to see this on cars again.
Are we old fashioned, my living room is two-tone with a dado? ;)

IMG_1439.jpeg

John

Reactions: WayneS
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Certainly not -now classic interior design - our hall, stairs and landing are the same 😁
I do think two tone factory option colours on cars would be great though.
My father had a Singer Gazelle in two tone Burgundy and cream. Really nice car with steering column gear change. I took it to Switzerland with my now wife two weeks after passing my test.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I find the number of cars in various shades of grey very depressing - when I was looking seriously at new cars in 2015 I did note that Range Rover had a choice of 5 different shades of grey !!!
My brother just part x change his BMW for a newish MHEV Range Rover Evoque black

Reactions: Lutz
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My brother just part x change his BMW for a newish MHEV Range Rover Evoque black
I dislike the Range Rovers and other large SUVs that are all black with blacked windows and no bright work. They look like the sort of vehicles used in POTUS’ motorcade. Ugly isnt a strong enough word.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Which leads me to ask what colour is best and worst for showing dirt?
Fully polished my two black cars looked brilliant. One shower of Sahara dust rain, all ruined.
White has stood the test well. Amazing how my neighbours white BMW is not as white as my VW!
The metallic turquoise and golds faired well imo.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Which leads me to ask what colour is best and worst for showing dirt?
Fully polished my two black cars looked brilliant. One shower of Sahara dust rain, all ruined.
White has stood the test well. Amazing how my neighbours white BMW is not as white as my VW!
The metallic turquoise and golds faired well imo.
Black is high maintenance. I’ve had silver cars which didn’t tend to show the dirt. For me my best colour was my white Pajero as it didn’t show chip marks, or even side scratches incurred whilst off roading. White gloss on white primer was ace. Prior to selling it I used a colour restorer and it came up like new.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts