New caravan electric fault

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Spike,

If you have had the caravan wiring checked out by a professional, and they can find nothing wrong, then it points to a problem with the wiring connections to the car.

I'm really not sure anyone on the forum could offer any other practical advice other than to point you to wiring information. Try Googling "Caravan plug wiring".

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Friend of mine had a similar problem , it turned out the car and van wernt compatable, it was a VW , got it sorted eventualy and it was the way the car was wired.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
If it is a new caravan, take it back to the dealer for a check before fiddling around. You can then probably hitch up to one of their other caravans to check whether it is the car or not.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Spike
You haven't said what your car/caravan combination is. Graham has been mentioned that there could be problems with VW wiring. Indeed, in the Caravan Club magazine for Novemebr there is an article on VW's latest all-wheel vehicle and on page 68 it states "As with many modern cars, it would be wise to carefully check that the car's electrics are capable of satisfactorily powering a caravan's LED road lighting, if so equipped". Does your car/van fit into this?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Martin24 said:
My handbook clearly states that the electrics will not support LED trailer lighting.

Oh no!

Landies going wrong again. Lol.
Now what about my led internal lights?

See your dealer and establish the caravan is ok. Are you using a 12s12n adaptor to the new 13 pin plug?

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Every new caravan i have purchased dealer has always connected to car and checked all lights as part of the handover, before leaving premises.

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all comments,car is Hyundai IX35 and i have plugged it into another new caravan just to check. This caravan lights all ok and lights on car stayed on.have spoken to dealer and will be getting it checked tomorrow.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts