New caravan

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi just bought a new 2016 caravan didn't realise how much insurance and security items cost now regratin buying new caravan wish I had just stuck with old one that no one would want to steal.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Anne , hi .
Thats what we thought when we bought our first caravan , expensive on getting all the bits and bobs together and sorted but now we dont regret it , we love it ! Its worth spending a few quid if its going to keep it secure and kept . Spend it abd enjoy it . Cheap weekends away will make up for what you've spent .

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi , we have an AL-KO hitch lock and wheel clamp and that's it , but there is lots of locks and clamps to fit various vans so have a look which ones suit yours, prices vary but Its worth spending the money.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Anne,

I'm sorry you underestimated the costs of new ownership, I hope you will get some real pleasure from it an feel its not so been so bad after all.

As for security, First check what your insurance company demand in their terms and conditions, then if you are still not happy with security of the caravan, then start to look at other measures, - why spend more than you have to.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I understand your concerns, sadly one of the reasons for taking out insurance is the possibility the caravan being stolen, Obviously newer caravans are more attractive than older caravans, so you do need to do whaqt you can to make your caravan less attractive to the thieves.

But you must start with what your insurance company requires, If you don't do what they set out, they will decline any claim you make - so that has to be your starting point. When you have satisfied their requirements, then if your'e still unhappy with your security then look at what else you can do.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Our caravan is new (2015 so last year’s model), we keep it at a private residence near to where we live, it is at the end of a residential road on what used to be a farm. There are loads of units stored there and there are two big gates to get through and drive past the owners house before you get to the storage area. We have an alko hitch lock and wheel lock fitted but even with all this a determined thief will be able to take it. Fortunately the owners of the storage area are fully insured for any thefts that take place on their land but it still costs a fortune to park there, pay for the insurance and all of the additional security measures we have put in place.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Time is the enemy of the thief, so I think it helps to have multiple security devices, rather than just one deterrent. If you have a new van, you've probably got an alarm. Your insurance company will want either a hitchlock, or wheel clamp/lock, or both.
But you can also add inexpensive things like a removable jockey wheel clamp (like a locking wheel nut - needs a special handle); Locks for the steadies or even decent padlocks through the guide tubes, so they can't easily be raised; Locking wheel nuts like your car; Locking hitchlock post in your drive. There are probably more, but you need to make it as difficult and time consuming as possible.

If nothing else, at least it gives you some peace of mind that you have done everything reasonable to secure your van, so that if the worst did happen you won't be looking back with a 'If only I had....' This worrying of theft will pass - enjoy the van

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
saint-spoon said:
................ Fortunately the owners of the storage area are fully insured for any thefts that take place on their land ..................

Hmmmm. :dry: What you have written implies the owners of the site will fully indemnify you if any of your property is lost or damaged whilst on their site. If that's true then it's a first! :woohoo:

Most storage facilities go out of their way to protect themselves from loss claims from customers by insisting that owners must use their own insurance if there is loss or damage. :unsure:

I strongly suggest you check the sites small print and T&C's very carefully, because I'm pretty certain they won't make it that easy for you. :(

I will be amazed and very gratified if what you have written is the case, because I have often suggested that sites that are basically leasing a secure space seem to forget they are selling security when it comes to claims. :angry:

Please, please prove my suspicions wrong. :dry:

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
As with other advice already offered it is worth checking the wording/requirements of your insurance policy. I think you will find these are fairly standard. Hitchlock and wheel-lock will be the basic assumptions, but you may also need a secure bolt on each wheel to protect the alloys and locks on the rear steadies. Don't forget that these will also need to be used on sites, so check the weights too. In any event it may be a case of 'the more the merrier' to delay and frustrate any attempted theft.
Also be careful at renewal - some companies require you to increase the value of the caravan insurance to current NEW retail value to ensure you get new for old and no reduction for being 'underinsured'.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The security device requirement does depend on who you insure with and that should be the minimum. The ALKO wheel lock is the most secure and will deter any but the most determined thief. If you use anything else it should be Sold Secure Gold standard. Hitchlocks will not deter many thieves as they can simply chain the drawbar to the tow vehicle or even have a drawbar that fits over it, people do steal ALKO hitches and they should prevent that.
Watch the time requirement for leaving the van without a lock. Many say if the caravan is unattended even for very short periods the lock or locks must be fitted. The other extreme is the Caravan Club who allow you 36 hours in certain circumstances.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts