new caravan

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi we are picking up our new caravan beginning of February it's a 2016 model I'm a bit worried as when reading reviews people are saying there can be faults in a new van can anyone advice me what to look out for.
Thank A

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Take your time, leave the whole day clear. On handover making sure that everything works. Trying everything fully, heating running for a couple of hours, use all the taps and appliances. Get the dealer to do a damp test and record all the readings. Check every cupboard and drawer thoroughly. Make sure that everything about the outside is as it should be. Check all lockers, locks, body work, everything. Do not accept the van until everything is perfect to your satisfaction.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Anne, welcome to the forum and we hope you're very happy with your new caravan. What have you ordered? Is it your first caravan? There's some good advice there from Martin and I am sure many others will have more.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Anne, welcome and congratulations on buying your new caravan.
First of all it's worth bearing in mind that on internet forums such as this one we rarely read comments that praise new caravans. Forums are more often used to discuss problems or complaints which gives a slightly false picture because most caravan buyers are very happy with their new caravan.
As Martin suggested, take plenty of time to inspect your new caravan and if there are grubby fingermarks or any scuffs dents or imperfections don't hesitate to point them out there and then.
Ensure that you know how everything works and have had demonstrations during the handover, check that the CRiS registration is completed correctly and don't be fobbed of by sales staff who might claim that they are busy because you will have already paid for the dealership to carry out a proper pre delivery inspection and a proper handover.
We bought two brand new caravans after years of buying used models and we couldn't have been happier, there were no problems with either of them and we are just as delighted with our caravan seven years on so although we often see tales of woe on forums there's more chance of everything being fine.
Try to book a short break soon after you collect your caravan as a sort of shakedown trip to use the equipment in your caravan and most important of all - enjoy! :cheer:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree you check everything but if new to caravans this is not easy. If possible I would video the handover demonstration so that you can refer back to it when on site. Even with 30 years in caravans we still find things we need to sort out when we get another so starting from scratch you are bound to have a few queries.
Modern caravans can be quite complex but you will find most people on site are helpful and so if you have a problem just ask and I am sure you will get all the help you need.
Not sure where your first site will be but if it is a smaller one with personal attention if you tell them it is your first trip you may be surprised at the help you get.
You do need a fair bit of gear to start with and I would see if the dealer does a discounted pack or a discount on this.
If you need further help just post here and someone will know the answer.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
HI Ane, welcome to the forum, as the others have said , take your time, do not be satisfied straight away with your new , "Pride and Joy". I pick up our first new van, on my own due to circumstances, , only to be wanting to get it home onto the drive, and sit in it with a glass of wine, bottle open and all happy when SWMBO, states " There is a dent on the fridge door." Other half hacked off , me in the dog house,
Look over it once, twice maybe three times.
Enjoy your new Caravan. And have lots of fun .
Hutch.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Anne
My learned friends and fellow Woosies give you excellent advice.
Also be certain your own tow bar and ball are compatible with the hitch on your new caravan.
I am assuming it comes with an Alko hitch stabiliser or similar. You will need a longer neck tow ball.
Ask for access to view the roof of the caravan. Why? It will give you a good idea the caravan is as new as suggested. You can examine the mastic joints not usually seen.
We have had a few caravans over the years. Never had any major problems but sad to say a few minor ones which the dealer fixed quickly.
Good luck and do enjoy the hand over.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi again Anne, Dustys bit about the tow hitch is true, if you have a fixed flange type, and have an ALKo hitch on the caravan you will need the ALKO tow flange. I pointed this out to a caravaner in a dealer in Rushden, and the dealer hadnt told him, it was the wrong tow ball.
Hutch.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ok Anne, I thought you were a total newbie, sorry about that. But all the bits folks have added , i hope will be helpfull.
Hutch

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Timely advice for us. We pick our new van on the 6th of Feb and it looks like we need to spend time with the guy handing over, after that it is off to our storage site and we probably wont see it again for a few weeks.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I wish we'd asked this question before we collected ours,,,forewarned is forearmed as they say.
However it's all sorted now,,just a very steep learning curve.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah , I agree , take someone along who knows their stuff , we didn't & our handover was crap ! Just a kid who showed what was what- at a minimum ! Still learning new stuff about it !! Take your time and ask as many questions as possible , enjoy when you get out with it , we did and still do !!

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
As you are spending quite a lot of money on a brand new van, I would be inclined to pay a mobile caravan engineer to examine the caravan thoroughly before accepting it .

A mobile engineer may cost you a few hundred for a professional check up but could save you a great deal of grief, not to mention money, and she/he will know where to look, how to look and how to test. They will also be familiar with the make of van and from experience know likely troublesome areas.

No one wants to fork out extra cash at an expensive time, but his/her fee can sometimes pay for itself if troublesome faults are found, and rectifiedbefore acceptance.

Good luck and of course Happy Caravanning
Regards
paws

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I understand Paws suggestion about getting it inspected, It stems from SOGA and the new Consumer Rights Act, which expects customers to ask all relevant questions to ensure the goods are what they want before ordering or accepting them.

An inspection is just an extension of that right but I'm not convinced it would be worthwhile for a new caravan from a dealer, especially where the customer has already had a caravan and should be able to spot any major issues. It would be more appropriate if it were a second hand caravan.

Having an inspection carried out will cost quite a lot and you have already agreed to fork out a lot to purchase the caravan which should have been PDI'd.

The Consumer Rights Act places a duty on retailer to only supply good that conform to the agreed specification and that are fault free. That is what they are paid to do, and if the fail in any way they are in breach of contract. So I will assume you did not specify you wanted any faults when you ordered the caravan, so why should you accept any?

I do absolutely agree you should spend as much time as you want checking and pointing out all and any issues you might spot, I also suggest keeping a written and even photographic record of any issues you do spot so neither you or the dealer can forget about them.

I wish you good luck with your new caravan.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just a thought, if my old grey cell are correct, when I picked up my present caravan, they didnt show me where the jack was, in case of the horrible event of a puncture.on the way home.
Hutch

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I don't think a jack is part of the standard kit. We had to buy our own. :(

There are at least 3 options
- scissor jack
- hydraulic jack
- AL-KO specific chassis side lift jack

The first 2 need to be placed under the axle, which can be difficult to get at.

For safety reasons the 'van should remain connected to the towing vehicle when jacking up the 'van.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thats true WC, my Coachman came with a single arm chassis one, and I have a Kojack scissor one that fits the alko chassis without having to fit the brackets, its heavy but plenty of room in the boot, so always carry it and a foot long plank in case of a soft bit of ground.
Collect the van in a few hours and away on Wednesday.
:cheer: :) :p
Hutch

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
We thought we had checked everything on our new Swift caravan, which had been towed on the road behind the caravan loader full of caravans from Yorkshire to the dealership. It wasn't until we got it home and I opened the door of the microwave to find the heavy glass base plate had been left in, unprotected and had bounced around in the microwave, wearing a lot of paint off the inside of the microwave door. The safety booklet that came with it said not to use if the inside was damaged, but the dealership told me it was safe to use. Later, when towing along a bumpy road to a CL, the microwave itself had moved out of the housing and we found it hadn't been fixed in properly and the caravan had to go back to the dealership to be securely fitted. Just something to be mindful of.

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I hope it all goes well for you, Handover varies tremendously from a full demo 2 hrs to a ten mins sign here and off you go.

I always tell the dealer that at hand over I expect to see the van up and running with water / gas and electric connected. Heating on water in the system etc. i,e, as it would be on site. They should be able to do this easy. I will not contemplate a hand over that is not as above. After the salesman has wowed you with flashing lights. I then say thank you we are now going to check everything you are welcome to stay or go as you please, if unsure how things work then ask them to stay. After some huffing and puffing they usually go. Then go through every little thing, every catch door and systems are run up on both gas and electric. try the shower sink every burner including oven and grill. Even after nearly 50 years it still takes us a while. SWMBO has a note book and writes down anything that is a problem.

If anything is found then it's back to the dealer and they are told we are not accepting it until so and so is fixed. Do not accept it if you are not happy and then we book either onto a site at the dealers or right nearby for a couple of days shake down. Have we ever had a van with no Issues - Yes two the Bailey Unicorn 1 5 years ago and the Unicorn 3 last year.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Thats true WC, my Coachman came with a single arm chassis one, and I have a Kojack scissor one that fits the alko chassis without having to fit the brackets, its heavy but plenty of room in the boot, so always carry it and a foot long plank in case of a soft bit of ground.
Collect the van in a few hours and away on Wednesday.
:cheer: :) :p
Hutch

Can you tell me where exactly on the chassis your Kojack fits?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Dusty, I think I have gven slightly wrong info ( not Unusual) . Just been underneath the van and seen it is fitted with these brackets as standard, for the single leg jack. They are about six inches behind the mud flap , which you can see on the right. This is the right hand side.
Hutch
20160124_163826_zpsjpd4mied.jpg

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
That's better.
You had me worried Hutch that you were jacking straight onto the chassis which is a BIG No No. B) :woohoo:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts