New caravanners desperately need advice

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Help!! We have just purchased a new Peugeot Expert van which will be our only vehicle (unsigned). We have also agreed to buy our first caravan from a private seller, today. Looking at a few caravan sites, it would appear that sites do not allow commercial vehicles. Can any more experienced caravanners fill us in on this please?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There are a few sites who don't allow commercial vehicles but the best thing to do is to telephone the site and explain the situation before you book.

The site owner can then decide whether to let you book.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Colin,

I don't know what size an Expert van is but i assume it is small to Transit size. Certainly you would have no problems with Caravan Club sites as it is unsigned. It would just be classed as your towing vehicle.If you want to be sure give the club a ring on Tuesday.

Cannot speak about commercial sites as i don't use them.

Hamer

May 23, 2009
Visit site
There are a few sites who don't allow commercial vehicles but the best thing to do is to telephone the site and explain the situation before you book.

The site owner can then decide whether to let you book.
Thank you very much Parksy for coming back to us so quickly..we were feeling that we might have to cancel our caravan purchase, which would be a huge disappointment to us, but you have given us hope.

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Colin,

I don't know what size an Expert van is but i assume it is small to Transit size. Certainly you would have no problems with Caravan Club sites as it is unsigned. It would just be classed as your towing vehicle.If you want to be sure give the club a ring on Tuesday.

Cannot speak about commercial sites as i don't use them.

Hamer
Thank you very much for your response. We will contact the Caravan Club (which we joined earlier today, in our enthusiasm!)on Tuesday.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Most 5 van sites (CL's) allow vans and most large commercial sites that I've stayed on do as well.

Sites tend to frown on van conversions where the van is a home made motorhome for safety reasons and most sites try to avoid hosting members of the travelling community but without actually saying so because that would breach the Race Relations Act.

That's why they almost always state no commercial vehicles but proof of your home address would normally allow you to book.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Parksy has made a good point.

Generally so long as you inform the site when booking, there should be no problems at all. I've had our sign written firms van on site. Admittidly it was only for the purpose of unloading 250Kgs of my tools into the awning. But having sought permission from the manager and explaining that the van is quite new and tidy, there were no objections.

Likewise when we had our twin axle caravan I always made the site's aware of that in advance.

Regards

Steve L.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
I can both understand caravan sites not wanting commercial vehicles, and yet at the same time find it slightly objectionable. As well as the travellor issue many people think that such vehicles lower the tone. A neighbor in my street frequently parks his lorry in the street which I admit to hating. However when it come down to it, if the van is taxed and legal and the driver is happy to pay for the pitch, why should they be barred?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Many people assume that anyone who tows their caravan with a commercial vehicle or a van is a traveller or itinerant of some kind.

Under the terms of the Public Order Act (racial and religious hatred 2006)travellers are deemed to be an ethnic group and so any park owner who stated that no travellers were allowed would be breaking the law.

They get around this by imposing a 'van ban'.

Legislation can't determine what ordinary people think and it's a fact of life that there are many who would object to sharing their holiday site with travellers, tinkers or other itinerants. If anyone really wanted to camp alongside travellers why would they go to the expense of paying for a pitch at a holiday park? The nearest playing field or cricket pitch would do.

Before anyone starts to be offended on behalf of the poor downtrodden my last comment was a joke!

G

I am not so sure about the 'poor downtrodden bit' If the news today is anything to go by where another field has been 'hijacked' over the Bank Holiday weekend and 50 lorries and heavy moving equipment were on hand to change a peaceful village meadow into a fully set up, and totally illegal, campsite, then there is plenty of money in the travelling fraternity.

Before long they will be the ones hiring you the pitch.

However, to get back to the OP, I do not feel that most sites would be too concerned if they see a normal touring caravan with a family on board, even with a van at thefront. Just as long as you do not open it up to reveal a complete trade outfit inside. An explanation along the lines of 'I borrowed it for the weekend' would probably suffice.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
After you mate, I wouldn't fancy taking them on!

The last time that I saw them kick off was at a wedding, busted heads all round.

They were blowing holes into each others cars with shotguns before the night was over.

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Parksy,

Travellers do not fall under the Racial and religious hatred act but they are a pain to the general public and thats putting it mildly. as you have just stated they cause alot of trouble and the site owners dont wont them taking over a site as they do on every spare land. If the goverment had anything about them they would enforce local byelaws to protect the general public.

anyway thats got that off my mind

Trev

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My information is that travellers are a recognised ethnic group and fall within the remit of the act.

Apologies to Bigfoot, really funny but I daren't leave your last comment on :0)

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
My information is that travellers are a recognised ethnic group and fall within the remit of the act.

Apologies to Bigfoot, really funny but I daren't leave your last comment on :0)
Parksy, I know mate ....I didnt think you would for a minute but I did read it on your website Honest.

Regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts