New Caravanners

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sitting back here at home, thinking about getting away in our caravan, when we first started, I wish I had the Gaul to ask the folks on site for advice, but learnt the hard way.. Most folk are more than welcome to help out and then have a chit, chat afterward, be it the awning, water barrels Switches in the van etc, Easter is coming up for a lot of new first timers, talk and make friends,, makes your time away great.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
On my first outing in the new Sprite, my dealer branded hitch-cover attracted the attention of another customer of that dealer... We chatted briefly, turns out they lived in the general area we did, but kept their caravan at this C&CC site and it was taken out of storage for them to use.

A few minutes later, the chap came back with his road atlas, and told me a better route back to the motorway than towing through a near-by town. I took his advice, and it was actually much easier than the 'recommended' route.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I find that we sort of hover when we see folks who are (probably) new and struggling; wanting to help but not wanting to interfere. If the struggling continues then a cheerful, “you OK?” or a Reflective, “Awnings are a pain, aren’t they” is a good way in.
I agree with Hutch, let’s get out there and welcome people.
Mel

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Same here I don't mind giving anybody a helping hand like the bloke the other week who pulled my caravan of the grass when i got bogged down !

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Same here I don't mind giving anybody a helping hand like the bloke the other week who pulled my caravan of the grass when i got bogged down !

Caravan over weight again Craig, bikes and beer. :p I hate it when on your last day, your emptying the honey bucket and the bloke in the next caravan, who has never said "hello" starts a full blown conversation.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Surely a caravan that's not capable of carrying beer and bikes (in that order of priority) isn't fit for purpose? :p

It does seem to be a very British thing to be reluctant to talk to people because you think they might not want to talk to you. Perhaps that's why, as Hutch says conversation starts to flow a lot more easily when you're hitching up to leave site, folding the awning or emptying the bog.

What newbies need to realise is that (a) you don't have the word 'Newbie' written on your foreheads and that (b) about half of your fellow caravanners are male and therefore biologically incapable of taking any sort of hint. If you need some help just come and ask for it. Most of us won't bite you :)

Oh, and if you want someone to help you come and empty that bottle of wine you're more than welcome to chat to me at any time :lol:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Well the folk on here that Know me will Rib me later for being a real Muppet.
Not out this weekend as Easter, so BBQ tonight, at home, Slimming World Jerk steak ( Dusty Dog take note), light the very old Garden BBQ, very little heat, ok its old 10 years, get the Cadac out of the shed, fix the legs, change the hose, flash it up, Nothing, Buxxer back to basics, check the gas bottle 13 KG Calor. Changed to the almost empty Calor lite.

Total muppet check your gas , mind you the 4 pints in the pub earlier may have something to do with the Train of thought.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Not out this weekend as Easter, so BBQ tonight, at home, Slimming World Jerk steak ( Dusty Dog take note), light the very old Garden BBQ, very little heat, ok its old 10 years, get the Cadac out of the shed, fix the legs, change the hose, flash it up, Nothing, Buxxer back to basics, check the gas bottle 13 KG Calor. Changed to the almost empty Calor lite.

Total muppet check your gas , mind you the 4 pints in the pub earlier may have something to do with the Train of thought.
Sounds like 4 pints of heavy :p

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dustydog said:
EH52ARH said:

Sounds like 4 pints of heavy :p

Hopefully a few pints next , Thursday evening together, :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts