New England Bay

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi your Lordship.

New england bay is mainly grass pitches and is right on the sea front . Pitches are very open to the wind coming in of the Irish sea. Plenty of space for dog walking either along the beach or the main road as site is on its own, nearest village will be a couple of miles away. Nice area to explore though and a nice big site. You are not to far from Stranraer which is the nearest town. Would recommend Garliston club site, lovely site on the village harbour. Pub which does food is a five minute walk from site.

Dougie....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lb we have been their quite a trip from Essex, we stopped off at Ferry Meadows/Thirsk/Troutbeck Head /fineally New England Bay..
www.visitstranraerandtherhins.co.uk
This will give you all the info for the surrounding countryside.
One word of warning it can get very windy there , we stayed for a fortnight, were ever you end up pitching you are only a stones throw from the sea.
Its not a easy job pitching a awning you need a goods heavy hammer and very strong steel pegs, whilst we were their a twin axle Senator full size awning came adrift , blowing up and over the van the alum poles with spikes on the end threshing around like a giant octupus.There was about 10 of us trying to calm the beast down, eventually we succeded, the owners being off site.wrapping the awning up and placing the heaver objects that were inside the awning on top.of the awning .
It was noted that the owner had only used the very short tent pegs to anchor the awning, No storm straps. His awning rail was bent and had come away from the van in certain places.
A couple of Caravanners had brought their small motorboats , using them to go fishing in the bay.
The beach is excellent for walking nice and smooth, it faces the bay so the waves tend to be ripples not like the ones facing the Irish sea, ( thats where the stronger winds blow from)
Midges yes they are about , but I was never troubled , the weather was great cannot recall rain bothering us.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Royston said:
Midges yes they are about

Thanks for that Royston. I didn't think there were any around that area ... whaaaaaaaa
smiley-yell.gif

Feb 18, 2009
Visit site
I can confirm you won't be dissappointed in New England Bay. Perfect for dogs - and people. We are here at the moment. The total of vans on site this morning - 11. There are a few more come in after lunch. Ken

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks. I expect there will be a few more in June/July. Englethwaite Hall is our first stop for a week, one of our favourite sites. At least it was until last July when it rained all week
smiley-frown.gif

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi

We are heading to Englethwaite hall for the Easter weekend, have heard a lot of good reports about it. So hopeing they are right.

Dougie......

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Dougie 45 said:
Hi We are heading to Englethwaite hall for the Easter weekend, have heard a lot of good reports about it. So hopeing they are right. Dougie......

If you have a dog it's got a walk around the site, two meadows and a gate into the forestry plantation. This has a couple of pools that you can fish but I can't say if the fishing is any good but permits are sold by the reception.
Settle and Carlisle line runs at the bottom of the drive which has about three special trains a week pulled by steam loco's.
The site is very quiet but quite handy for Carlisle and shopping for groceries. They also have a Toby Carvery which is cheap and excellent.
Anything else you need to know give me a shout and I'll try to answer it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts