New floor

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I am shortly to lay a new solid wood floor on top of the existing concrete floor.The concrete has a plastic membrane within it.

My question is what is the best type of underlay to use to minimise noise.The foam type stuff,the fibre 'board' or the sheet backed on one side with silver foil.

Also any tips to make the whole job easier.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi me old Royale mate how goes it,not been on here much of late due to (excuse me swearing)going to work,and my PC also died before Christmas and only got a new one up and running recently.

Have you seen the post asking about the thread with the most posts and reference to our old business Smokaloo PLC .lol

No the van doesnt have a concrete floor which is why I posted in the non caravan section.:0)

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
mr.plotter

going by your vaguely, vague, spec here, to make job easier i would employ someone who knows what they are doing!!.

seriously though what level in building is this floor? i take it that it's ground so why noise reduction? there will be a dpc under concrete bed and possibly insulation. depending on what height you can raise floor level for skirtings and doors etc. not forgetting headroom, i would install a floating floor i.e possibly 50mmx50mm joists with kingspan in between a layer of building paper between flooring and joists to stop squeaking job done if you come back with more detail i will do my best to help. cheers.Andy.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi Plotter - Don't forget that although you may have a damp proof membrane below the concrete, the concrete itself will retain dampness so you should put an additional membrane between it and the new floor.

Fibreboard is good at reducing noise in upstairs rooms and the thin 1mm foam stuff should only be used downstairs where there is a good flat area to cover.

Personally I would go for the silver backed underlay as it has a built in membrane and provides a good barrier against any future damp issues. Hope this helps, Rob.

TRENDING THREADS